Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Rugby League News

Rugby League News

Championship: Briggs and Payne named players of the week

Gen-12

Sheffield Eagles’ Kyle Briggs and Gateshead Thunder’s Jason Payne have been named Championship Players of the Week. Briggs scored three tries against his former club in Sheffield’s 40-28 win at Featherstone Rovers, while Payne produced a captain’s performance as Gateshead beat Oldham 40-10. Every week each coach in the Kingstone Press Championships is contacted to compile the awards. Kingstone Press ... Read More »

Vote now: Did Kevin Sinfield make the right decision?

Kevin-Sinfield--

Yesterday evening, Leeds Rhinos captainKevin Sinfield called time on a 13-year international career. The 33-year-old said: “I would like to thank Steve, not only for choosing me to captain England, but also for the support and guidance he has given me over the last few years. I would like to thank my family who have always supported me throughout my ... Read More »

Video interview: Kevin Sinfield on England retirement

Kevin-Sinfield

In this video, provided by Super League TV, Leeds Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield explains his reasons for calling time on a 13-year international career. What do you think about this story? Discuss this and much more on or free fans’ forum. For more Rugby League news and features, subscribe to League Express newspaper and Rugby League World magazine. You can ... Read More »

Broncos sign Matt Garside from Sheffield Eagles

Matt-Garside

Relegated London Broncos have snapped up impressive centre Matt Garside from Sheffield Eagles for the start of next season. The 23-year-old played a pivotal role in winning last year’s Championship title and has scored 36 tries in 54 appearances for the South Yorkshire club. Eagles coach Mark Aston said: “We’re sorry to see him go because over the last two ... Read More »

Kevin Sinfield retires from international RL

Kevin Sinfield in action for England at the RLWC2013. ©RLphotos

Leeds Rhinos and England captain Kevin Sinfield MBE has announced his retirement from international Rugby League with immediate effect. The Oldham-born international has been capped 26 times for England dating back to his debut in 2000. He received a further 14 caps for Great Britain during that period.  Sinfield has appeared in the last three World Cups and has scored ... Read More »

Fax boss Harrison slams “amateurish” performance

Halifax coach Karl Harrison. ©RLPhotos

Halifax coach Karl Harrison described his side as “amateurish” after they went down 39-18 at Doncaster yesterday. That dropped the Shay side to fourth in the Championship – a real disappointment when Sheffield’s win against Featherstone gave them a chance to gain ground on second spot. Instead, they now find themselves relying on Batley winning at Doncaster next weekend to ... Read More »

Webster: Tim Smith wants to stay at Wakefield Wildcats

Tim-Smith

Wakefield boss James Webster says on-loan Salford half-back Tim Smith wants to join the club permanently. The mercurial Australian, who re-joined the Wildcats temporarily in June, has transformed Wakefield’s season since returning and had a hand in five tries yesterday in a stunning 42-6 win against his parent club. He is due to return to Salford in the coming weeks, ... Read More »

Sam Burgess: Avoiding confrontation has made me a better player

Sam Burgess

Sam Burgess has put his sensational form for South Sydney this year down to not getting involved in personal battles with rival players. The Rabbitohs’ superstar is in the running to become the first forward to win the Dally M Medal since Cronulla’s Gavin Miller 1989, and credits this to keeping a lid on his frustrations. The Yorkshireman, who will ... Read More »

Pita Godinet: Ruthless Wildcats were ‘impressive’

Pita-Godinet

Wakefield half-back Pita Godinet believes his side’s ruthless nature was to thank for the Wildcats’ impressive 42-6 win over Salford Red Devils yesterday. The New Zealand-born playmaker returned at stand-off after being sidelined with a knee injury sustained in the win over Leeds Rhinos at the start of July and was one of a team of impressive performers in the ... Read More »

Lowes: Slow start to blame for Castleford Tigers loss

James Lowes

Bradford boss James Lowes believes a slow start prevented the Bulls from recording a fourth-straight win – for the first time in five years – yesterday. Coach Lowes saw his side slip to a 32-18 defeat at the hands of Castleford Tigers, but it was an initial three-try deficit which ultimately proved the difference at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, despite Bradford’s ... Read More »

Video: Referees take on Wakefield Wildcats select side

Referees James Child, Tim Roby, Phil Bentham, Ben Thaler Richard Silverwood, and Robert Hicks. ©SimonWilkinson

In this video, supplied by Super League TV, you can watch some of Super League’s most recognisable referees take on Wakefield Wildcats chairman Michael Carter’s select side, which featured celebrities and ex players, in a game of touch and pass. Well worth a watch, especially to see some of the silky skills from the whistle blowers. What do you think ... Read More »

Video: Giants plan for life after Rugby League

Larne Patrick. ©RLPhotos

In this video, provided by Super League TV, Huddersfield Giants stars Chris Bailey and Larne Patrick brush up on their woodwork technique in preparation for life after Rugby League retirement. What do you think about this story? Discuss this and much more on our free fans’ forum. For more Rugby League news and features, subscribe to League Express newspaper and ... Read More »

Video: How Danny Brough salvaged a point against Warrington

Huddersfield captain Danny Brough. ©RLPhotos

In this video, provided by Super League TV, you can relive last week’s draw between Huddersfield Giants and Warrington Wolves, played at the Haliwell Jones Stadium. What do you think about this story? Discuss this and much more on our free fans’ forum. For more Rugby League news and features, subscribe to League Express newspaper and Rugby League World magazine. ... Read More »