Widnes have confirmed Anthony Gelling will be at the club next season… just days after the controversial star said he would not be joining with the club.
Gelling took to social media last week stating that he would not be playing for the Championship club in 2019, despite having agreed to join the club before their relegation.
Not for 2019. https://t.co/f5CJY4PhUh
— Anthony Gelling (@AnthonyGelling) November 27, 2018
It came at a time when the Cook Islands international was being heavily linked with a move to Catalans, with Gelling reportedly spotted training with the club.
However, having initially claimed he would not be a Vikings player next year, the club has now confirmed he will wear their colours next season, with Gelling clearing up the situation.
“It was just a couple of basic visa things which I made clear on social media,” he said.
“But that’s all sorted now, that’s boxed off, hopefully the visas for my family will come over in early January. I’ve got a couple of days training here, I’m going to head back for the baby being born then get back over here and crack on.
“I didn’t know what to expect fully. Part of the hesitation was people once they got relegated asking if I was committed when I didn’t even know what I was committing to.
“Probably too was a bit of an ego thing. I worked hard in Super League, I worked hard in NRL, do I want to play Championship? A few people said to me you shouldn’t be down here, you’re too good for Championship. But I tell them man. I’m too good for Super League, what’s your point?”