Friday, August 22, 2014
Rugby League News

News

Finn wants more Championship players in Super League

©RLPhotos

New Castleford signing Liam Finn hopes his seamless transition to Super League from the Championship will encourage more clubs to recruit from the second tier. The 30-year-old, who enjoyed a short spell in Super League with Wakefield, thought he didn’t have what it took to compete in the top flight, but when former coach Daryl Powell signed him from Featherstone ... Read More »

McKinnon placed in induced coma, McLean charged

The tackle that looks to have ended Alex McKinnon's career. ©Action

Newcastle Knights back-rower Alex McKinnon has been placed in an induced coma following surgery to a broken neck sustained in yesterday’s loss to Melbourne Storm. The 22-year-old, who had been tipped to represent New South Wales in the State of Origin, landed awkwardly in a four-man tackle involving Bromwich brothers Jesse and Kenny, and prop Jordan McLean. Although replays suggest ... Read More »

Slow Wigan start just what Wane expected

©RLphotos

Wigan coach Shaun Wane claims he anticipated his side’s slow start to the season – and feels it could have been much worse. The Warriors have lost two of their five Super League games this season and currently sit sixth in the table, six points off pace-setters St Helens with a game in hand. The 49-year-old told the official Wigan ... Read More »

St Helens star Kyle Amor hit with suspension

Kyle-Amor

St Helens have been hit with the news that another of their top stars has been ruled out of this weekend’s clash against Leeds Rhinos. With the likes of Luke Walsh and Alex Walmsley already missing, the Saints will be without another towering forward in the shape of Kyle Amor, who has been banned for one match following last Sunday’s ... Read More »

Reduce 10-metre rule to stop dangerous tackling, says Mortimer

Steve Mortimer. ©Action

Former Canterbury Bulldogs half-back Steve Mortimer believes reducing Rugby League’s 10-metre rule will lower the number of dangerous tackles in our game. The nine-time Australian international was speaking after the announcement that Newcastle Knights youngster Alex McKinnon broke his neck against Melbourne Storm yesterday. Mortimer claims 10 metres is too far and that ‘players are trying to buy time to ... Read More »

Hull FC: Captain Ellis banned for two games

Gareth-Ellis

Hull FC will be without captain Gareth Ellis for their Tetley’s Challenge Cup fourth-round tie against Salford Red Devils after he was given a two-match ban. The former England forward submitted an early-guilty plea to making a dangerous shoulder charge during his side’s 7-0 home First Utility Super League defeat by Widnes Vikings on Sunday. It means the 32-year-old will ... Read More »

Alex McKinnon breaks neck in Storm clash

The tackle that looks to have ended Alex McKinnon's career. ©Action

Newcastle Knights forward Alex McKinnon fractured his neck in yesterday’s 28-20 loss against Melbourne Storm. The 22-year-old had fractures in both his C4 and C5 vertebrae and was stretchered off the field following a dangerous tackle from Jesse and Kenny Bromnwich and Jordan McLean, which was put on report. Thankfully, his spinal cord has remained intact. In a statement, the ... Read More »

Jake Webster picks up fresh injury, out ‘a few weeks’

Jake Webster has represented New Zealand at international level. ©RLphotos

Castleford star-centre Jake Webster has been sidelines for ‘a few weeks’ after tearing his groin in the Tigers’ first loss of the season against Salford on Sunday. The former New Zealand international, 30, was playing his first Super League game of the season after 12 months out with a knee injury. Coach Daryl Powell said: “Jake will be out for ... Read More »

Poore thrilled to see Sandercock smiling again

Justin Poore. ©TonyFoster

Hull KR prop Justin Poore said it felt good to see a smile on the face of coach Craig Sandercock’s face after helping his side pick up their first win of the 2014 season against Bradford on Sunday. “We wanted to win for Sandy,” the former State of Origin front-rower told the Hull Daily Mail. “It was good to see ... Read More »

Another Bradford Bulls takeover bid derailed

Bradford-Bulls

Prospective Bradford Bulls owner Richard Lamb has almost certainly been ruled out of taking over the Odsal club after failing to provide proof of the £1million in funds required. The London-based businessman, who has publicly stated his desire to take over the Bulls, fronted a consortium including former Bulls chief executive Abi Ekoku. Their offer was accepted by administrators last ... Read More »