• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(rhubarbtriangulist @ Mar 15 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post
i have that vhs too. it's brilliant; if any ever questions how good and bad martin offiah was they should be made to watch that tape.

ellery hanley pulls off the best leg tackle ever on a widnes player too.

I saw that tape very recently - fantastic action. Offiah and Hanley at the peak of their powers, simply awesome. Garry Schofield was also one superb player, I think people forget his amazing talent because of the way he puts himself across nowadays.

What is also interesting in that video - 1988-89 season - is that GB played a home and away series with France in the February. These games were played at weekend and players were pulled from their club sides in order to play in these fixtures. Happy days indeed.

How good was Emosi Koloto? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif One of the best running second row forwards I have ever seen. The guy was unstoppable in that season - as were Widnes. The had one of the most entertaining sides ever in that period. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Scubby, 15 March 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#22 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

) AND TRINITY V CAS (1989) on video.----- dry.gif

Aye,I've still got that one,plus the one hundred top tries,used to watch it of a sunday on the portable telly upstairs as the front room telly couldn't get the signal for YTV (in Nottm),remember Steve Larder scoring for Cas at P.O Road by going over the tryline on all fours as the ball was in goal and he'd ended up on the floor about 10 yards out.Also Graham Steadman going about 80yards at Headingley to score for Cas,I was right disappointed that it didn't make the top 100 tries programme that was on at the end of the season(I think they'd already had the votes and the prog had been recorded the previous week)
If the RFL and YTV could get their feud forgotten sad.gif we should have it on again smile.gif

#23 Cas Vegas_merged

Cas Vegas_merged
  • Banned
  • 7,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(voteronniegibbs @ Mar 15 2007, 02:13 PM) View Post
Also Graham Steadman going about 180yards at Headingley to score for Cas,

That was nice, that.

He ran past each member of their team & then right along the touchline side in front of the south stand at Headingley - blowing kisses at them & laughing.

Then Crooksie was given some gyp about his weight as he lined up the conversion & duly popped it over from the touchline.

PS I've corrected your typo.
"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."
--------------------------
"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004
--------------------------
FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."
Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

#24 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Cas Vegas @ Mar 15 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
That was nice, that.

He ran past each member of their team & then right along the touchline side in front of the south stand at Headingley - blowing kisses at them & laughing.
Then Crooksie was given some gyp about his weight as he lined up the conversion & duly popped it over from the touchline. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
PS I've corrected your typo. so I see tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

Edited by voteronniegibbs, 15 March 2007 - 04:19 PM.

#25 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

I watched two old games i recorded years ago only yesterday. scrumdown Wakefield V Salford and Wakefield V Castleford. i am sure that i also have the last game played at HKR Craven Park.
Posted Image

#26 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 15 2007, 12:09 PM) View Post
I've still got OLDHAM V TRINITY (1988), TRINTIY V HULL KR (1988) AND TRINITY V CAS (1989) on video.

But i remember Scrumdown (think it was still called that) being shown as early as 1981, because Wakey beat Bradford 11-8 at Belle Vue in about Oct 81, with a young Ellery Hanley playing for Bradford Northern.

My Dad said stand in the corner at the front near the East Stand and we'll get on tele. He was right and i remember it because, 1, we didn't have a video so i had to stay up until 11.30ish to watch it and 2, the coat my dad wore looked like something Arthur Daley would have been proud of.

Happy days.

11 8 v Bradford Clive Pickerill made his debut we beat Sts the week after and went down it was 1982. remember the Bradford game well it was half time when i got to the ground that day.
also remember the Oldham game Fox scored a great try for us we won, think Oldham were top at the time in the old 2nd division.
Posted Image

#27 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Scubby @ Mar 15 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post
That was not Scrumdown. Scrumdown only started in around 1987 I believe. I think you are refering to a programme called RL Action - a regional RL programme in which Keith Macklin was the commentator. It used to go out on Friday nights if I remember at around 11pm a couple of hours after the game had finished.

Yes, Friday night football was around 25 years ago. rolleyes.gif

yes it was RL action remember a young kid at Leeds called Andy MaCkintosh who came on the scene he looked a great prospect at the time but never developed.
Posted Image

#28 Number 18

Number 18
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

The last Scrumdown programmes were highlights of the Australian tour games in '94, I think.

#29 Diablo

Diablo
  • Coach
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Yorkshire TV showed Scrumdown.

Granada TV showed Prisoner Cell Block H!!!!! dry.gif

Which, I believe, got considerably more viewers than the Rugby League.

Scrumdown was biased in favour of Yorkshire teams. (maybe cos they produced it?)Leeds especially. Have a look at the Top Tries video. It's all Gary Bloody Schofield!
Salford RLFC.

Les Diables Rouges Originaux 1934

Christopher Ellaby, my Dad, born 21 May 1920, died 4 August 2006.
Night Night God Bless Dad

#30 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

I can remeber watching a Saturday afternoon game on Granada between Widnes and Wigan at Widnes and I think Bobbie Goulding won it at the death with a penalty goal. He celebrated with an audacious windmilling arm salute as I remeber it.

I also seem to remember that Steve McCurrie made his professional debut in that game.

#31 rhubarbtriangulist_merged

rhubarbtriangulist_merged
  • Banned
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Bitofaboogie @ Mar 15 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
I also seem to remember that Steve McCurrie made his professional debut in that game.

drop goal (?).

#32 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(rhubarbtriangulist @ Mar 15 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post
drop goal (?).

I think you might be right.

He may even have scored a try.

My memory fails me.

#33 RMam

RMam
  • Coach
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:46 PM

If I remember correctly the last Scrumdown had a brilliant compilation finish of 'best bits' accompanied by 'End of the Line' by The Travelling Wilberries. I'm sure we have it on video somewhere..... sad.gif

#34 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

Try this link Scrumdown on eBay - the item was bought by blackrodman who I suspect is the one who started this thread !

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 16 March 2007 - 12:01 AM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#35 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

watched an episode of "RL action" last night.

widnes vs hull fc 1983 league game.

widnes hull

1. mick burke 1. gary kemble
2. ralph linton 2. dane o'hara
3. eric hughes 3. james leuluai
4. joe lydon 4. steve evans
5. john basnett 5. paul prendiville
6. tony myler 6. dave topliss
7. andy gregory 7. tony dean
8. brian hogan 8. trevor skerret
9. keith ellwell 9. ronnie wileman
10. mike o'neill 10. charlie stone
11. fred whitfield 11. paul rose
12. eric prescott 12. lee crooks
13. mick adams 13. steve norton

14. david hulme 14. terry day
15. kevin tamati 15. mick crane

coaches. colin tyrer/harry dawson coach arthur bunting

ref ronnie laughton

two teams littered with stars. doug laughton had just resigned, hull won 18-21, ronnie wileman was sent off, and the commentary was keith macklin/david oxley and the programme was presented by a rather youthful richard madeley.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#36 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Old Frightful @ Mar 16 2007, 07:26 AM) View Post
watched an episode of "RL action" last night.

widnes vs hull fc 1983 league game.

widnes hull

1. mick burke 1. gary kemble
2. ralph linton 2. dane o'hara
3. eric hughes 3. james leuluai
4. joe lydon 4. steve evans
5. john basnett 5. paul prendiville
6. tony myler 6. dave topliss
7. andy gregory 7. tony dean
8. brian hogan 8. trevor skerret
9. keith ellwell 9. ronnie wileman
10. mike o'neill 10. charlie stone
11. fred whitfield 11. paul rose
12. eric prescott 12. lee crooks
13. mick adams 13. steve norton

14. david hulme 14. terry day
15. kevin tamati 15. mick crane

coaches. colin tyrer/harry dawson coach arthur bunting

ref ronnie laughton

two teams littered with stars. doug laughton had just resigned, hull won 18-21, ronnie wileman was sent off, and the commentary was keith macklin/david oxley and the programme was presented by a rather youthful richard madeley.

Three great loose forwards there, Adams, Norton and Crane.

Mick Burke played with us at Kirkholt for one season. The worst trainer I have ever seen but as a footballer, pure class, especially at Pennine League level ! Won the Rochdale Charity Cup for us.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#37 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

i forgot to mention some prat in the crowd had a whistle and kept blowing it, resulting in the players stopping and looking at a bewildered ref.

that was ronnie laughton's last season too.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#38 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Diablo @ Mar 15 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
Have a look at the Top Tries video. It's all Gary Bloody Schofield!

Wasn't everything ala Schofield back then???? sad.gif

#39 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(Bitofaboogie @ Mar 15 2007, 09:58 PM) View Post
I can remeber watching a Saturday afternoon game on Granada between Widnes and Wigan at Widnes and I think Bobbie Goulding won it at the death with a penalty goal. He celebrated with an audacious windmilling arm salute as I remeber it.

Goulding won the game after Darren Wright was penalised.

Don't think anyone ever found out why.

Think McCurries debut was against Wigan but at Central Park.

Definately was not that game.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#40 Bilko

Bilko
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Here's a bit of Granada's "Rugby League Live" -

It might have been the last one that because Sky got the rights the next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users