Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Remember Scrumdown

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

Attended every home, away and Cup match (including Wembley!) in the 80's and 90's and also took my nephews with me. What a brilliant time we had as Wigan fans, experiencing all those different grounds/fans, you will never have the same experience again. smile.gif

Some beautiful, old Stadium, standing areas, very few seating areas, but enormous amounts of atmosphere!!! Our new Stadia will never compete with the old, rickety stadium!!!

#42 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

I remember Wakefield v Salford on scrumdown, David watkins used to commentate like a salford fan when they were on like ther opposition didnt count...
I also remember Wakefield v Cas on there when Ronnie 'hardman' Gibbs got sent to disneyland and Johnny Thompson 'Liked it hard'...classic... biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#43 OZ UK LEAGUE FAN

OZ UK LEAGUE FAN
  • Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hi guy's,

I am in Brisbane Australia and have heaps of old games on VHS and now converted to DVD of old games on scrumdown. My mate lives in Bradford and used to tape what he could when he got a good signal. I would say at a guess I have over 100 games. Salford, Wakefield and Wigan always seemed to get the games on TV, however I have some cracker games of Hull KR, FAX and Warrington. Sometimes they would show the lower divisions in which I have a few inlcuding Featherstone, Dewsbury and Workington Town. I knew one day fans would want to see these old games again as I grew up watching this excellent programme too thanks to my mate.

John Helm and David Watkins were pure magic in the commentary, that alone was worth watching!!

Does anybody remember an episode and I think it was around the xmas period in the early 90's maybe 1991 when the end credits showed aussie and NZ players only playing their trade in the UK in snow, rain, etc... and they would pan back into a shot of Bondi Beach with surfers etc...... John Monie and a few players wished everybody a merry xmas. I think with him were Greg Mackey, Paul Bishop and Tea Ropati from memory.

#44 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

i have one or two scrumdown games involving Fev. i have been posting them on the Fev facebook group. fev v oldham, dewsbury ,hkr, halifax.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#45 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have Oldham v Fev from Feb. 1988, at the lost lamented Watersheddings. It has something you never see today, a heel against the head. Also some superb breaks from Hugh Wadell.  I used to have Fev v 'Fax from 1991, Regal Trophy.  One of the best games ever on Scrumdown.

Edited by Trojan, 07 December 2013 - 11:30 AM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#46 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have loads of the old scumdown and rl action games I put them on dvd  as they were taking up to much room  with all the videos piled up in the back bedroom  also  got hold of loads of old videos from the 80s  which im still transferring to dvd as and when I get the time loads of club videos as well with such baised commentors  you have to laugh  . some cracking games  from an era when the refs were in charge not the match commisoners and an army of other oddbods on inflated wages to slow the gasme down and sanatised it

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#47 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Was it RL Action that featured a game between Huddersfield and Wigan at Fartown in Wigan's season in Div 2 (1981 I think) when Wigan had three players sent off in a particularly spiteful match? Huddersfield won 9-7 I believe.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#48 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Fev always seemed to do well on Scrumdown. I remember good wins against Halifax, Leeds and Hull KR that were televised. I liked John Helm but Watkins just waffled.

We hardly ever got shown on RL Action apart from one game we narrowly lost at Leeds around 1984. I liked Keith Macklin as a commentator.

Fev also featured on Granada TVs thing one Saturday afternoon at Wigan, we lost but Ian Smales scored a fine try by kneeing the ball over Hampson's head and catching it. Neat trick.

A Fev Blog

#49 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Fev always seemed to do well on Scrumdown. I remember good wins against Halifax, Leeds and Hull KR that were televised. I liked John Helm but Watkins just waffled.

We hardly ever got shown on RL Action apart from one game we narrowly lost at Leeds around 1984. I liked Keith Macklin as a commentator.

Fev also featured on Granada TVs thing one Saturday afternoon at Wigan, we lost but Ian Smales scored a fine try by kneeing the ball over Hampson's head and catching it. Neat trick.

Featherstone also appeared on RL Action away at Warrington and away at Leigh in the early 1980s. They featured in away games at Wigan in consecutive seasons on Granada - including the Smales knee chip you mentioned. Similar results both times IIRC.

I think we are pretty spoilt now compared with the meagre offerings we got back then (midnight offerings on regional TV). But yet we still complain.

#50 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Featherstone also appeared on RL Action away at Warrington and away at Leigh in the early 1980s. They featured in away games at Wigan in consecutive seasons on Granada - including the Smales knee chip you mentioned. Similar results both times IIRC.

I think we are pretty spoilt now compared with the meagre offerings we got back then (midnight offerings on regional TV). But yet we still complain.

Nice one. I remember Warrington too, but not that Leigh game. Lost in the mists of time for me that one ;)

Yes, you are right about TV coverage. Slim pickings they were then. Much better now.

A Fev Blog

#51 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Nice one. I remember Warrington too, but not that Leigh game. Lost in the mists of time for me that one ;)

Yes, you are right about TV coverage. Slim pickings they were then. Much better now.

Was circa 1981/1982 when Leigh were one of the top sides. It features on this video at 1.09

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RaxkDikoLLI

Edited by Scubby, 07 December 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#52 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

yep Huddersfield v wigan  march 1981  it was on rl action  .

lewis jones was the guest that day  and he was not happy with wigans style of thuggery

tony Johnson of Huddersfield was targeted in particular by wigan

watched it again last week 

#53 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Was circa 1981/1982 when Leigh were one of the top sides. It features on this video at 1.09

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RaxkDikoLLI

Ta. Never seen that before, didn't know it existed. Shame we took a cuffing. Good Leigh side though, that.

A Fev Blog

#54 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ta. Never seen that before, didn't know it existed. Shame we took a cuffing. Good Leigh side though, that.

Wasn't as bad as it looked I don't think. Something like 24-10 or 24-12. Three points for a try in those days.

#55 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

yep Huddersfield v wigan  march 1981  it was on rl action  .

lewis jones was the guest that day  and he was not happy with wigans style of thuggery

tony Johnson of Huddersfield was targeted in particular by wigan

watched it again last week 

Now that's one that I'd like to watch again - I bet it would make even us old 'uns flinch a bit!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#56 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hi guy's,

I am in Brisbane Australia and have heaps of old games on VHS and now converted to DVD of old games on scrumdown. My mate lives in Bradford and used to tape what he could when he got a good signal. I would say at a guess I have over 100 games. Salford, Wakefield and Wigan always seemed to get the games on TV, however I have some cracker games of Hull KR, FAX and Warrington. Sometimes they would show the lower divisions in which I have a few inlcuding Featherstone, Dewsbury and Workington Town. I knew one day fans would want to see these old games again as I grew up watching this excellent programme too thanks to my mate.

John Helm and David Watkins were pure magic in the commentary, that alone was worth watching!!

Does anybody remember an episode and I think it was around the xmas period in the early 90's maybe 1991 when the end credits showed aussie and NZ players only playing their trade in the UK in snow, rain, etc... and they would pan back into a shot of Bondi Beach with surfers etc...... John Monie and a few players wished everybody a merry xmas. I think with him were Greg Mackey, Paul Bishop and Tea Ropati from memory.

Why would you revive a thread from 2007? random!

Posted Image

#57 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Now that's one that I'd like to watch again - I bet it would make even us old 'uns flinch a bit!

Here you go. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Vi5SnxkvkG4

#58 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

thought it would be obvious that  he revived the thread trying to get people to exchange  rl dvds   I would have thought  he is a collector of rl dvds  as there are quite a number of us out there

#59 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

The only vhs I've got is also Oldham v Featherstone at sheddings. Was it scrum down that also aired that memorable team talk, I think it was Leigh v Featherstone, were the coach said let's' flippin' get out there and' flippin' stuff these' flippin' dirty 'Yorkshire b words'? Heh heh heh was up there with Henry v motivating speach at agincourt.

#60 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Top man - thanks!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)