Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

The Photography Thread

• Please log in to reply
2588 replies to this topic

#81 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Right - where's everybody else's photies??? dry.gif

Here are some from my debut run with my lovely new Nikkor 70-300 on the South Bank on Friday.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#82 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

You are a bit of a wizz with the old black and white shots GJ. The accordion player is spot on. Does your camera allow you to shoot in b&w? I have to take photos in colour and remove the colour with photoshop and it all looks a bit washed out, no where near as sharp as yours - whats your secret, hows about a quick lesson?

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#83 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Bedford Roughyed @ Jun 12 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post
Got a Canon S5 IS last month, its a step up from a normal digi camera but is obviously not as big a step as a digi SLR. I was thinking of getting a SLR but the cost at this moment was too much (especially all the extra lenses!)

I can get a lense adapters that -

The TC-DC58B tele-converter converts the focal length of the body lens by a factor of approximately 1.5 (35 mm film equivalent at maximum telephoto: approximately 648 mm) when attached.

or

Converts the focal length of the body lens by a factor of approximately 0.75 (35 mm film equivalent at maximum wide angle: approximately 27 mm) when attached.

But what that all that mean? What does it do to my pics?

Anybody know what those 2 lenses would do to my pics? In simple terms?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#84 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 15 2008, 12:11 PM) View Post
Right - where's everybody else's photies??? dry.gif

Here are some from my debut run with my lovely new Nikkor 70-300 on the South Bank on Friday.

By an amazing coincidence I was stood at the bus stop on Waterloo Bridge with those Albanian tinkers on Saturday night - they got on every damn bus for half an hour and tried to steam on and not pay! Either they're garbage buskers or they we're telling a porkie about not having any change...

#85 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a SD card, I have tried a few test photos which I can see on the view finder but neither card reader seems to be able to see the card. Have I done something wrong? (or not done something)

#86 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Red Willow @ Jun 16 2008, 08:01 PM) View Post
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a SD card, I have tried a few test photos which I can see on the view finder but neither card reader seems to be able to see the card. Have I done something wrong? (or not done something)

It could be a SD HC card which I believe some readers don't recognise?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#87 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Bedford Roughyed @ Jun 16 2008, 08:30 PM) View Post
It could be a SD HC card which I believe some readers don't recognise?

It is in deed does this mean I need a new card reader? My lap top doesn't recognise it either.

#88 Kickin Back

Kickin Back
  • Coach
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Red Willow @ Jun 16 2008, 08:33 PM) View Post
It is in deed does this mean I need a new card reader? My lap top doesn't recognise it either.

'Fraid so...

I got a new internal reader from Scan for about 9, but you can pick up something like This
Vince Lombardi
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."
"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005
Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.
Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...
http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#89 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Garvers @ Jun 16 2008, 06:17 PM) View Post
Either they're garbage buskers or they we're telling a porkie about not having any change...

They're very good buskers so they're probably lying furriners.

QUOTE(Exiled Townie @ Jun 16 2008, 04:47 PM) View Post
You are a bit of a wizz with the old black and white shots GJ. The accordion player is spot on. Does your camera allow you to shoot in b&w? I have to take photos in colour and remove the colour with photoshop and it all looks a bit washed out, no where near as sharp as yours - whats your secret, hows about a quick lesson?

Well, to take the accordion player ...

This is original - all I've done here is re-save the original RAW file as a jpeg.

And here it's just been converted to grayscale. If I used the camera's B/W function this is what it would look like. It's okay here but you're right in that it can just be washed out - plus if all you do is desaturate or convert to BW this is what happens. Plus having the image as black and white/desaturated limits what you can in terms of filters.

So. The gingerjon way - which is probably not the best way but it delivers the results I like is:

Open the RAW image in Photoshop Elements. Sort out any under/over exposure and white balance. Boost the clarity. Open image in the editing window.

With the image still in colour adjust first levels and the brightness & contrast. At this stage it will look somewhat unnatural in colour as I'm looking to build up contrasts (although without going crazy) - so the levels will probably move the midtones slightly and possibly drift in the under and over exposure bit. On the contrast I will probably move it within the range of +1 to +6 and move the brightness either + or - up to 4 or 5.

So that's three layers after which I flatten the image to get back to 1. Then I apply the Gradient Map which is the best tool for converting to monochrome. It's best to experiment with this - I like using the orange/red end of the filter and having it almost black but not quite.

Again flatten the image. Now go to enhance image and apply the Unsharp Mask. I tend to use: 60%, radius 1.0 pixels with 0.0 threshold - don't ask me what all that means I got there by experimenting!

Finally apply any colour filters as required which will help with the overall toning of the image. This is something that can't be done if the shot has been converted to BW or was shot in monochrome mode.

Flatten image. Save.

And that's that. Probably clear as mud. unsure.gif

Mods: Can we merge the two photo threads we have going please?
- Severus, July 2012

#90 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 16 2008, 09:08 PM) View Post
They're very good buskers so they're probably lying furriners.
Well, to take the accordion player ...

This is original - all I've done here is re-save the original RAW file as a jpeg.

And here it's just been converted to grayscale. If I used the camera's B/W function this is what it would look like. It's okay here but you're right in that it can just be washed out - plus if all you do is desaturate or convert to BW this is what happens. Plus having the image as black and white/desaturated limits what you can in terms of filters.

So. The gingerjon way - which is probably not the best way but it delivers the results I like is:

Open the RAW image in Photoshop Elements. Sort out any under/over exposure and white balance. Boost the clarity. Open image in the editing window.

With the image still in colour adjust first levels and the brightness & contrast. At this stage it will look somewhat unnatural in colour as I'm looking to build up contrasts (although without going crazy) - so the levels will probably move the midtones slightly and possibly drift in the under and over exposure bit. On the contrast I will probably move it within the range of +1 to +6 and move the brightness either + or - up to 4 or 5.

So that's three layers after which I flatten the image to get back to 1. Then I apply the Gradient Map which is the best tool for converting to monochrome. It's best to experiment with this - I like using the orange/red end of the filter and having it almost black but not quite.

Again flatten the image. Now go to enhance image and apply the Unsharp Mask. I tend to use: 60%, radius 1.0 pixels with 0.0 threshold - don't ask me what all that means I got there by experimenting!

Finally apply any colour filters as required which will help with the overall toning of the image. This is something that can't be done if the shot has been converted to BW or was shot in monochrome mode.

Flatten image. Save.

And that's that. Probably clear as mud. unsure.gif

Double geek.

I thought this thread was about ordinary people taking ordinary photo's , not a masterclass from BBC 2.
Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#91 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(Stag Fan @ Jun 16 2008, 11:10 PM) View Post
Double geek.

tongue.gif
- Severus, July 2012

#92 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 16 2008, 09:08 PM) View Post

Done smile.gif

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#93 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 13 2008, 01:41 PM) View Post
This is bloody genius: recreating famous images using Lego men. There are some on the BBC site but not this one:

The Twickenham Streaker

I thought it was jesus being arrested in the garden of gethsemane

The Full Set

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#94 East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger
  • Coach
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

Great pics Jon. You must be happy with that new lens. I bet it feels great to see those results.

#95 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(East Coast Tiger @ Jun 17 2008, 12:22 PM) View Post
You must be happy with that new lens.

I am so far! Not had chance to test on action pics yet and it's a bit top heavy on my light camera but it really does the job. There's some free lunchtime concerts near work this week and providing I can dodge the PCSOs and Park Police I'll be taking some snaps there!
- Severus, July 2012

#96 Hullgal

Hullgal
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Red Willow @ Jun 16 2008, 08:33 PM) View Post

I've had the same problem, I have started plugging the lead in to the camera and the pc and dragging/drop the pics off the camera to the pc. So haven't had to buy a new card reader (yet!)

#97 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(Hullgal @ Jun 17 2008, 06:34 PM) View Post
I've had the same problem, I have started plugging the lead in to the camera and the pc and dragging/drop the pics off the camera to the pc. So haven't had to buy a new card reader (yet!)

I always worry about attaching the camera, I'd rather pay 10 for the reader.

#98 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

What's the issue with plugging the camera straight in? unsure.gif
- Severus, July 2012

#99 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 18 2008, 09:52 AM) View Post
What's the issue with plugging the camera straight in? unsure.gif

Never heard of camera weevils? Nasty little buggers.
Fides invicta triumphat

#100 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Severus @ Jun 18 2008, 09:53 AM) View Post
Never heard of camera weevils? Nasty little buggers.

Are they the bastards that have put blotches on the inside of my viewfinder?
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users