Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

The Photography Thread

• Please log in to reply
2725 replies to this topic

#121 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

I use a Canon 30D, have a suite of lenses including the daddy a canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS. We also have a canon 300D, 400D and Panosonic TZ3.

Here's a selection of my shots.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#122 East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger
  • Coach
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(Ed I Tackle @ Jun 19 2008, 10:38 PM) View Post
I use a Canon 30D, have a suite of lenses including the daddy a canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS. We also have a canon 300D, 400D and Panosonic TZ3.

Here's a selection of my shots.

Reminds me of League of Gentlemen.

Great shots. Canon rules.

#123 frombanginfront

frombanginfront
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:09 AM

Some of my recent shots, taken using a Nikon D70. Lenses ranging from 18mm - 300mm.

#124 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 19 2008, 10:01 PM) View Post
You see that's a good response but it took you hours and it still ain't as good as my phaser line.

Incidentally I did a kelkoo on the A200 and Amazon is the most expensive for that set-up.

biggrin.gif Believe it or not, we aren't all on TRL 24-7.
Fides invicta triumphat

#125 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(Severus @ Jun 20 2008, 08:48 AM) View Post
biggrin.gif Believe it or not, we aren't all on TRL 24-7.

tongue.gif

From a free concert in Victoria Embankment Gardens yesterday lunchtime:

And in the evening, a Covent Garden street entertainer:

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#126 Daza XIII

Daza XIII
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Is that what the world looks like through your eyes when they kick you out the Anvil at closing time?
THE STUPID QUESTIONS LEAGUE.
beware of imitations

#127 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

On the musical front I recently caught this strange bunch in Covent Garden.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#128 Kickin Back

Kickin Back
  • Coach
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Ed I Tackle @ Jun 20 2008, 10:06 PM) View Post
On the musical front I recently caught this strange bunch in Covent Garden.

Very impressive stuff there Ed...

I really must get some stuff on t'interweb and show mesen up wink.gif
Vince Lombardi
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."
"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005
Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.
Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...
http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#129 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

from the footy a few years back... using a cheap digital camera..

#130 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(gingerjon @ Jun 16 2008, 09:08 PM) View Post
So. The gingerjon way - which is probably not the best way but it delivers the results I like is:

Open the RAW image in Photoshop Elements. Sort out any under/over exposure and white balance. Boost the clarity. Open image in the editing window.

With the image still in colour adjust first levels and the brightness & contrast. At this stage it will look somewhat unnatural in colour as I'm looking to build up contrasts (although without going crazy) - so the levels will probably move the midtones slightly and possibly drift in the under and over exposure bit. On the contrast I will probably move it within the range of +1 to +6 and move the brightness either + or - up to 4 or 5.

So that's three layers after which I flatten the image to get back to 1. Then I apply the Gradient Map which is the best tool for converting to monochrome. It's best to experiment with this - I like using the orange/red end of the filter and having it almost black but not quite.

Again flatten the image. Now go to enhance image and apply the Unsharp Mask. I tend to use: 60%, radius 1.0 pixels with 0.0 threshold - don't ask me what all that means I got there by experimenting!

Finally apply any colour filters as required which will help with the overall toning of the image. This is something that can't be done if the shot has been converted to BW or was shot in monochrome mode.

Flatten image. Save.

And that's that. Probably clear as mud. unsure.gif

Just sat and read through this whole thread. Some great photos from some posters. This is absolutely top advice for getting good B&W shots. Thanks very much GJ.

Im just beginning to start to get to grips with my new Nikon D80 and its amazing capabilities.

Nowhere near ready for anyone to see the results yet.

A Fev Blog

#131 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Copa @ Jun 21 2008, 09:59 AM) View Post
from the footy a few years back... using a cheap digital camera..

Goes to show gear isn't everything if you have an eye and a bit of timing.

Good action shot, and the panoramic crop suits it well.

#132 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

Here is a rule I invented for my wife to remember when taking shots with a digital SLR. Its simply all the things to remember before you hit the shutter button.

I think those new to digital photography will find it helpful to remember this simple word.

WATCHIT.

White balance, what are the lighting conditions.
Apature, will the apature give me the required depth of field.
Time, is shutter speed fast enough to stop shake have I room to manouveur the F Stop
Crop, What is in the frame, is there room around the edges, anything unwanted.
Height, would a higher/lower viewpoint be better i.e. shoot animals at eye level.
Iso, am I using the fastest ISO rating I can, can I adjust ISO to speed/slow up the shutter.
Take it, all the above checked and correct SHOOT.

#133 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Ed I Tackle @ Jun 21 2008, 08:00 PM) View Post
Goes to show gear isn't everything if you have an eye and a bit of timing.

Good action shot, and the panoramic crop suits it well.
thanks...

I'd love a new camera... but such is life.

My brother is a keen underwater photographer and told me earlier today that for the first time someone has offered him some cash for one of his photos but he doesn't know how much t charge.... and a cafe near his work wants to dsiplay his shots.. .

... my mum's partner has also just won first prize in some photography competition ... all photos entered had to be taken on a pre-determined day...

I should ask them for tips as they are a resource i never use.

#134 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

very crude photo .... but meant a lot to me.. a real sense of achievement to make the summit from sea leavel.. mt rinjani

i took this one over 20 years ago as a child when swimming around the beach just after dark with the camera.. not the best focus or light but have always liked it

#135 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(Copa @ Jun 21 2008, 11:36 AM) View Post
thanks...

I'd love a new camera... but such is life.

My brother is a keen underwater photographer and told me earlier today that for the first time someone has offered him some cash for one of his photos but he doesn't know how much t charge.... and a cafe near his work wants to dsiplay his shots.. .

... my mum's partner has also just won first prize in some photography competition ... all photos entered had to be taken on a pre-determined day...

I should ask them for tips as they are a resource i never use.

Asking for advice is always good but more important is taking photographs as it really is something were practice and lots of it helps.

Once you have taken your photographs though better still is to get someone who is a good photographer to critique them. Pointers to what want wrong or as to how a tweak here and there could improve your shots is the most valuable advice going. Never be afraid to show your photographs to someone who knows what they are doing and ask their opinion and advice.

#136 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Copa @ Jun 21 2008, 12:14 PM) View Post
very crude photo .... but meant a lot to me.. a real sense of achievement to make the summit from sea leavel.. mt rinjani

i took this one over 20 years ago as a child when swimming around the beach just after dark with the camera.. not the best focus or light but have always liked it

You have an eye for a shot, you should take more.

If you have a good eye then you can learn a lot with the simplist of cameras, good gear makes life easier, but having the restrictions of a compact camera will help you learn more about positioning, composition and light than any camera bag full of lenses and bodies ever will.

#137 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Aren't people creative.

Love this thread.
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#138 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(timtum @ Jun 21 2008, 06:05 PM) View Post
Aren't people creative.

Love this thread.

The great thing about this thread is, apart from the usual Canon v Nikon silliness, there aren't sides and people get an opportunity to show a side of themselves that never shows on most other threads, their artistic and their appreciation of the artistic side. Along with a lot of sensible help and advice.

"Love this thread", couldn't agree more.

#139 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

Got to admit Im slightly surprised by some of the folk on here interested in photography. Goes to show just how partially we 'know' one another. S'good.

A Fev Blog

#140 frombanginfront

frombanginfront
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:01 AM

I enjoy photography, but I think I get more of a kick out of manipulating my photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users