Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

• Please log in to reply
6113 replies to this topic

#5641 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Message conversation with the wife just now:

Her:  Anything planned for today?

Me:  No, probably going to mellow out and read, maybe do some writing later.

Her:  Good, I've emailed you the shopping list for Tesco, it's quiet about this time of day, why not get it out of the way?  Don't forget the garlic, we've none left.

Ah well... there goes the quiet afternoon I had planned.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5642 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Going to Tesco will certainly help your newly developed grumpy old man persona.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5643 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Her:  Good, I've emailed you the shopping list for Tesco, it's quiet about this time of day, why not get it out of the way?  Don't forget the garlic, we've none left.

Wasn't there a grumpy supermarket related rant a few weeks ago?

Remember, some of the great unwashed who aren't as perfect also go to Tesco.

Just say no.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5644 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Going to Tesco will certainly help your newly developed grumpy old man persona.

Here's my ranking of how the local supermarkets make me even more grumpy (least stressful to most):

- Tesco.  Nice wide aisles, plenty of well designed parking areas and staff that aren't openly obnoxious.  Excellent variety and quality of fresh food.  They even have that self-scanning thing that means I don't have to talk to anyone if I'm in a really foul mood.

- Closest Asda.  Small, very friendly store with outstanding staff who go well out of their way to help including keeping checkouts open even when they're unused.  Doesn't have many of the things we need though due to it being small and the customers are like those out of that "People of Walmart" site.

- Waitrose.  A nice store, a bit small though.  A mix of vastly overpriced brand-named fresh-food (e.g. that Duchy stuff that obviously gets hand-packed by Prince Chuck himself given how expensive it is) and some good bargains as well as stuff you can't get anywhere else.  Must be avoided at 3pm and 7pm though as that's when they restock their "discounted" fridges and you get a swarm of people fighting for a bit of meat reduced to merely expensive instead of usurious.  It really has to be seen to be believed, all these middle-class and aging women barging each other aside to get to the discounted stuff.  Staff are friendly but not very useful.

- The big Sainsburys.  Good supermarket, friendly staff and good produce.  Abysmal parking though with nowhere near enough parking slots even during quieter times.

- The big Asda.  Big store with everything we need.  Unfortunately the place is like a warzone with grumpy staff, combative customers who don't understand basic civility and fresh food that lasts seconds when out of the store.

- Closest Sainsburys.  Mid-sized, ratty, dirty looking building with poor parking and a few poorly timed sets of traffic lights leading to it.  Far too much fresh food is off while on display every time we're there for it to be a one-off thing.  Staff are OK though.  Too close to a selection of local schools so almost 1/3 of the parking slots are parent and child, vastly outnumbering disabled slots and leaving normal slots at a premium.

edit: swapped the local Asda and Waitrose around as I'd put them in the wrong order.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5645 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wasn't there a grumpy supermarket related rant a few weeks ago?

Remember, some of the great unwashed who aren't as perfect also go to Tesco.

Just say no.

That was a good few months ago now :P

#5646 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

- Waitrose.  A nice store, a bit small though.  A mix of vastly overpriced brand-named fresh-food (e.g. that Duchy stuff that obviously gets hand-packed by Prince Chuck himself given how expensive it is) and some good bargains as well as stuff you can't get anywhere else.  Must be avoided at 3pm and 7pm though as that's when they restock their "discounted" fridges and you get a swarm of people fighting for a bit of meat reduced to merely expensive instead of usurious.  It really has to be seen to be believed, all these middle-class and aging women barging each other aside to get to the discounted stuff.  Staff are friendly but not very useful.

- Severus, July 2012

#5647 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Tesco: don't go in there on payday. Just don't. Vast hordes of folk doing their 'big shop' with fractious kids in tow. That was a mistake I made precisely once. Decent choice of booze, but the rest of the produce is consistently disappointing.

Waitrose: yes, for some items you do pay extra, but the quality's good and so is the choice. At certain times of day the big Finchley Road branch becomes Yummy Mummy Central. I tend to use the smaller one in Brent Cross.

M&S (Brent Cross): good choice, good quality, slow slow queues.

Sainsbury: my nearest supermarket, and a medium-sized branch. The friendliest of the lot - rarely a sullen member of staff to be seen. Quality of produce is good rather than great.

Co-op: features the aural torture that is 'Radio Co-op', not much choice and service is very slow. Generally avoided.

Wing Yip: usually busy and filled with a mixture of the recognissable and the terrifyingly strange. Occasional visits only, for things you can't buy elsewhere.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5648 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I can heartily recommend the Tesco home delivery saver thingy. You pay £60 up front and get as many home deliveries as you want for the next 6 months. There is a minimum spend of £40/shop but throw in a few bottles of wine or a case of beer to bump up the cost of your basket and this is usually no problem. You can also get deliveries when you are away from home on a self catering type holiday when you can't be ar*ed to go out shopping.

Can't remember the last time I had to go into a supermarket.

28m391z.jpg

#5649 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I can heartily recommend the Tesco home delivery saver thingy. You pay £60 up front and get as many home deliveries as you want for the next 6 months. There is a minimum spend of £40/shop but throw in a few bottles of wine or a case of beer to bump up the cost of your basket and this is usually no problem. You can also get deliveries when you are away from home on a self catering type holiday when you can't be ar*ed to go out shopping.

Can't remember the last time I had to go into a supermarket.

That's fair enough but the stores round here seem to make a special effort to get the most ratty fresh produce in the bags when you do online shopping.  The only ones that are anywhere near consistently good are Ocado and Waitrose but I seriously grudge paying that much of a premium for the same stuff I can get far cheaper a few minutes drive away at Tesco.  Our local butcher still gets all our meat trade as it's far better quality and under half the price of Waitrose meat.

#5650 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

That's fair enough but the stores round here seem to make a special effort to get the most ratty fresh produce in the bags when you do online shopping.  The only ones that are anywhere near consistently good are Ocado and Waitrose but I seriously grudge paying that much of a premium for the same stuff I can get far cheaper a few minutes drive away at Tesco.  Our local butcher still gets all our meat trade as it's far better quality and under half the price of Waitrose meat.

If any of the stuff on the home delivery is unacceptable I fire off a quick email to Customer service and normally this results in a gesture of a £10 voucher.

Generally it's not a problem but I am more than happy to complain if there is a problem.

My meat now gets delivered in bulk from a local farm otherwise there's a good butcher in the next town who gets my custom.

28m391z.jpg

#5651 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I wish I had a decent local butcher. The only one in the area closed down over 20 years ago. :( 

There's a Halal place but, for obvious reasons, the choice of meat is limited.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5652 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

I wish I had a decent local butcher. The only one in the area closed down over 20 years ago. :(

We seem to have a decent selection of butchers shops around here, it never fails to amaze me though why people would willingly pay over the odds at supermarkets for poor meat when the area has a good number of decent butchers who do good food at very cheap prices and usually with meat sourced from local farms.

No quality fishmongers in the area though.  I suppose with good fish in supermarkets being so cheap these days compared to even a decade ago that it's hard for them to stay in business.

#5653 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I used a place called Bigbarn Marketplace that located a farm local to me who do meat deliveries. I ordered a whole lamb and a few other bits which filled the freezer up nicely. I cooked oxtail stew for the first time on Saturday and it turned out really nice.

28m391z.jpg

#5654 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I occasionally order from Donald Russell - mainly game or cheap cuts of beef.

#5655 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

We seem to have a decent selection of butchers shops around here, it never fails to amaze me though why people would willingly pay over the odds at supermarkets for poor meat when the area has a good number of decent butchers who do good food at very cheap prices and usually with meat sourced from local farms.

No quality fishmongers in the area though.  I suppose with good fish in supermarkets being so cheap these days compared to even a decade ago that it's hard for them to stay in business.

Can you just start all your posts with whyohwhy ohwhyohwhy from now on?

- Severus, July 2012

#5656 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Can you just start all your posts with whyohwhy ohwhyohwhy from now on?

:D  Could be worse... I could be ranting about the media coverage I've seen today on rugby league ;)

#5657 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

No Waitrose or John Lewis in Bradford.

Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Asda and Morrison. There is one Sainsbury's at Greengates ... i.e. up the posh end where Johnoco lives. ;)

Us chavs generally prefer Morrisons or Tescos. Morrisons for me, better fresh food and bread.

I don't go to my nearest Morrisons because that store, a Lidl and an Asda are all within a 500 yard radius. The local traffic system is choc-a-block and now they are building a new school there as well. Gridlock Central.

The stalls in Bradford's John Street Market do fantastic meat ... apart from there's no site-made pork pies. According to friends, (I've not been there myself) the best pork pie manufacturer in the city is at Eccleshill ... i.e. up the posh end where Johnoco lives.

Bring back Philip Smiths!!!

http://www.flickr.co...N06/4834925749/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5658 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

No Waitrose or John Lewis in Bradford.

Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Asda and Morrison. There is one Sainsbury's at Greengates ... i.e. up the posh end where Johnoco lives. ;)

Us chavs generally prefer Morrisons or Tescos. Morrisons for me, better fresh food and bread.

I don't go to my nearest Morrisons because that store, a Lidl and an Asda are all within a 500 yard radius. The local traffic system is choc-a-block and now they are building a new school there as well. Gridlock Central.

The stalls in Bradford's John Street Market do fantastic meat ... apart from there's no site-made pork pies. According to friends, (I've not been there myself) the best pork pie manufacturer in the city is at Eccleshill ... i.e. up the posh end where Johnoco lives.

Bring back Philip Smiths!!!

http://www.flickr.co...N06/4834925749/

I rarely shop at Morrisons, as the nearest branch is much further away than the alternatives. When I have shopped there, they've been pretty good.

However, they are the money behind the redevelopment of the Oriental City complex in North London (not far from where the Broncos will allegedly be playing). So when it opens, while I'm up there stocking up on weird and wonderful things at the OC, I will show my gratitude to them by doing a bit of shopping in Morrisons too.

Edited by Futtocks, 02 September 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#5659 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

think my converse have seen better days, might buy a new pair but what colour?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5660 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Comment of the day so far is one I received from an Irish friend of mine.  He said: "If Irishmen want to play cricket they should f*** off to England and hand in their Irish passports on the way out"

A chip on his shoulder so big that I wonder how he can walk :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users