Uninteresting Trivial Facts

• Please log in to reply
6338 replies to this topic

#5741 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

This month I have mostly been eating Potatoes, gravy and nowt else.

#5742 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Today saw the first London based law firm to offer £100,000 per year to newly qualified lawyers (that's £100k plus bonus).  They're also offering £50,000 for first year trainees straight out of uni.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5743 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Today saw the first London based law firm to offer £100,000 per year to newly qualified lawyers (that's £100k plus bonus).  They're also offering £50,000 for first year trainees straight out of uni.

This fuelling yet more law undergraduates swelling the coffers of universities up and down the country.  I wonder what percentage actually get jobs as lawyers.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#5744 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

This fuelling yet more law undergraduates swelling the coffers of universities up and down the country.  I wonder what percentage actually get jobs as lawyers.

It's changed a lot over the years. 

In the 90s it was about 70% of students who went onto either the one year Legal Practice Course for solicitors or the barrister equivalent.  Of those students, about 80% of wannabe solicitors would get training contracts, 30% of wannabe barristers would get paid pupillages and another 30% would get unpaid pupillages.  All very dependent on university and professional training course, premium unis would get higher percentages, modern unis far lower.  Even then, many law firms retain about 90% of their trainees as qualified lawyers, this then sees push down of those discarded at the premium firms moving down to lower tier firms and so on with plenty of people at the lowest level just let go holding a nice shiny new practising certificate and nowhere to work, a year later the certificate expires and they're unemployable again.

Today, the figures are about 50% going onto professional training.  Of those, 70% will get a training contract and the barristers figure is around the 30-40% mark.

Of those who don't get a training contract, many go into paralegal work, hoping that they can turn that very low paid work into a training contract.  Most don't and stay either as paralegals or leave the industry with nothing but a huge debt.

Life at the big firms as a trainee and NQ lawyer can see you getting utterly stupid money for very little or no experience.  Still nowhere near what some investment banks will pay though.  The number of law firms paying partners over the £1m mark is rising and that's the big carrot that many aspiring graduates see and hope to achieve.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5745 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I've been seriously considering starting a new thread on the idiot remarks by politicians on immigration this week but I can't see any scenario where it wouldn't end up locked.  Instead, can you please just imagine the thread yourselves, get all indignant at the daft views of those who oppose your view and stomp off in the huff for a few minutes before posting imaginary replies that prove to the world you're right and they're wrong.

#5746 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's changed a lot over the years. 

In the 90s it was about 70% of students who went onto either the one year Legal Practice Course for solicitors or the barrister equivalent.  Of those students, about 80% of wannabe solicitors would get training contracts, 30% of wannabe barristers would get paid pupillages and another 30% would get unpaid pupillages.  All very dependent on university and professional training course, premium unis would get higher percentages, modern unis far lower.  Even then, many law firms retain about 90% of their trainees as qualified lawyers, this then sees push down of those discarded at the premium firms moving down to lower tier firms and so on with plenty of people at the lowest level just let go holding a nice shiny new practising certificate and nowhere to work, a year later the certificate expires and they're unemployable again.

Today, the figures are about 50% going onto professional training.  Of those, 70% will get a training contract and the barristers figure is around the 30-40% mark.

Of those who don't get a training contract, many go into paralegal work, hoping that they can turn that very low paid work into a training contract.  Most don't and stay either as paralegals or leave the industry with nothing but a huge debt.

Life at the big firms as a trainee and NQ lawyer can see you getting utterly stupid money for very little or no experience.  Still nowhere near what some investment banks will pay though.  The number of law firms paying partners over the £1m mark is rising and that's the big carrot that many aspiring graduates see and hope to achieve.

Thanks, I think you really fulfilled the uninteresting aspect of the thread title perfectly.

#5747 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks, I think you really fulfilled the uninteresting aspect of the thread title perfectly.

I'm always happy to help a thread get back on topic!

#5748 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I burnt some toast.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5749 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

I burnt some toast.

I'm assuming that this is some kind of euphemism for a depraved act.

#5750 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm assuming that this is some kind of euphemism for a depraved act.

That'd be too interesting to divulge.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5751 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yet another wrinkle in the longest-running hoax/not hoax story in entertainment: Cult comedy star Andy Kaufman faked his own death in 1984 and is still alive, his brother has claimed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5752 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

The bracket on my shower screen has snapped. Wickes are sending me another.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5753 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

After visiting a friend this morning my wife came back with a huge bag of cooking apples. Apple crumble for pudding tonight. Hooray.

#5754 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

http://www.nme.com/n...-division/73804

£8000 for Ian Curtis' old kitchen table

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5755 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

I've just completed my quarterly VAT return.  It took me far longer than it should as I just couldn't get my books to balance, I found out I'd reversed two digits on one invoice's total ending, it in 05 instead of 50.  I think a large coffee is needed.

#5756 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

http://www.nme.com/n...-division/73804

£8000 for Ian Curtis' old kitchen table

Also on eBay, a second-hand record shop in London. I'll look down the back of my sofa and see if I can afford it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5757 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I've just completed my quarterly VAT return. It took me far longer than it should as I just couldn't get my books to balance, I found out I'd reversed two digits on one invoice's total ending, it in 05 instead of 50. I think a large coffee is needed.

Is the coffee tax deductible?

LUNEW.jpg

#5758 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Also on eBay, a second-hand record shop in London. I'll look down the back of my sofa and see if I can afford it.

"Will post to United Kingdom. Read item description or contact seller for postage options."  :no: 

#5759 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Is the coffee tax deductible?

The tax system has been designed in such a way that if you don't know the secret handshake between tax man and accountant then you're never going to get it right if they decide they don't like you.  According to one set of guidelines, yes it's deductible as an office expense, according to another, no as it's personal entertainment and subsidisation of a non-employee.  There's a third set of guidelines that says I can legitimately bill it against company accounts but not reclaim the VAT on it.

See?  I can keep a thread on topic!

#5760 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

The little white balls used to fill beanbags are actually crabs eyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users