• Please log in to reply
6140 replies to this topic

#5761 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

My 11,000 post !!!!

I'm so happy it was about RL 

Just got round to reading West Country Magic - the article written by Matt Anniss in the Rl world December issue

Brings that brilliant night in Bristol back...one of THE highlights of the WC 

Edited by amh, 14 November 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#5762 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I just repaired the garden lights.  The power cable from the shed had been chewed by squirrels.  No squirrels were electrocuted in the chewing of the cable.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5763 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I just repaired the garden lights.  The power cable from the shed had been chewed by squirrels.  No squirrels were electrocuted in the chewing of the cable.

How do you know it was squirrels and not rats/mice/voles/neighbours?

#5764 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Try 3-phase.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5765 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

How do you know it was squirrels and not rats/mice/voles/neighbours?

The squirrels have previous for this sort of thing.  They were caught chewing the cables coming from the satellite dish last year, a quick blast from the garden hose discouraged them but too late for anything but the cable being replaced.  Also, the bit of garden light cable chewed was suspended from the fence making it less likely to be ground rats rather than tree rats.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5766 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Try 3-phase.

Hard to find standard garden lights that use it!

Realistically, I think I'll bury the cable in the spring or when I can be bothered.  I did it for the lights in the front of the house a few years ago and it worked quite well, I've been too lazy to do it for the second set that serves the side and back of the house as that's a long old bit of cable and goes near some quite nice plants.

#5767 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I shot a couple of squirrels in June, not had any in the garden since.

#5768 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

The Champagne Bar on the second floor of the Galeries Lafayette in Paris is now a Starbucks.  Announcements throughout the shop are made in American English every five minutes.  On the fifth floor (home of the previously marvellous experience of the boudoir garments) there is now a McDonalds.

On the other hand, the canal up from the Gare du Nord to the Villette is now rather lovely in its regeneration with bars, theatres and the floating opera house.

…and for the first time in my life, I was called grandad.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#5769 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

The Champagne Bar on the second floor of the Galeries Lafayette in Paris is now a Starbucks. Announcements throughout the shop are made in American English every five minutes. On the fifth floor (home of the previously marvellous experience of the boudoir garments) there is now a McDonalds.

On the other hand, the canal up from the Gare du Nord to the Villette is now rather lovely in its regeneration with bars, theatres and the floating opera house.

…and for the first time in my life, I was called grandad.

Congratulations.

#5770 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Congratulations.

It was assumed wherever we went that my wife is my daughter, so I suppose that congratulations are in order.

I went to Paris to see a couple of bands play. Very disappointed that you weren't touring the city of lights yourself.

www.mistersaucisse.fr

#5771 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

I was also in that there Paris mistaken for Luc Besson whose ex wife's mother in law lives upstairs from my mum.

www.mistersaucisse.fr

#5772 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

It was assumed wherever we went that my wife is my daughter.

Are you Nicolas Sarkozy or Bernie Ecclestone? ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5773 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Are you Nicolas Sarkozy or Bernie Ecclestone? ;)

I am the Primark version...

….who coincidentally are apparently the new owners of the Galleries Lafayette. 

www.mistersaucisse.fr

#5774 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

The average hourly billing rate of a top 5 law firm partner is £850 per hour.

The average hourly billing rate of a top 5 law firm newly qualified solicitor is £350 per hour.

#5775 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I just realised that I missed going over 15,000 posts :(  I was going to post a special post about it but I forgot.  I tracked back and this was my 15,000th post, a bit naff really...

#5776 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

I was reviewing the bannings and suspensions list for the last week (3 people got booted for refusing to listen to John's warnings on the England v NZ thread) and I noticed the older list of suspensions, we have one member who was suspended but not banned but his suspension doesn't expire until 11:13 AM on June 4th 5881619.  Another one's suspension ends Aug 11 12002 at 08:59 PM.  Yet another's ends Aug 18 29387 at 12:26 PM

I think they must have really got under John's skin there then...

#5777 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

I was reviewing the bannings and suspensions list for the last week (3 people got booted for refusing to listen to John's warnings on the England v NZ thread) and I noticed the older list of suspensions, we have one member who was suspended but not banned but his suspension doesn't expire until 11:13 AM on June 4th 5881619.  Another one's suspension ends Aug 11 12002 at 08:59 PM.  Yet another's ends Aug 18 29387 at 12:26 PM

I think they must have really got under John's skin there then...

Hopefully the future generations of these miscreants will behave better and have learnt the lessons of their forefathers!!!

I've just amended my will in case I upset John and find myself in a similar situation so that my great, great, great, great, great grandchildren can carry on where I left off.....

28m391z.jpg

#5778 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Before he was famous...

YxyQkjl.jpg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5779 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm absolutely exhausted today.  No energy at all and even a huge cup of tar thick coffee hasn't made a dent in it.  I think I'll go back to bed if I've not picked up a bit by lunchtime.

I did achieve one thing today though, I finally completed ripping all my DVDs to my media server.  I would have finished a while ago but I had to re-rip about 100 because I'd forgotten to add the subtitles option to the rip tool and I'm trying to future-proof them, especially with my hearing not being the best.  1.65TB in total, backed up to two separate devices, one a mirrored drive in the server itself and a second to a USB hard drive on the other side of the house to try to protect from fires, etc.

#5780 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm absolutely exhausted today.  No energy at all and even a huge cup of tar thick coffee hasn't made a dent in it.  I think I'll go back to bed if I've not picked up a bit by lunchtime.

I did achieve one thing today though, I finally completed ripping all my DVDs to my media server.  I would have finished a while ago but I had to re-rip about 100 because I'd forgotten to add the subtitles option to the rip tool and I'm trying to future-proof them, especially with my hearing not being the best.  1.65TB in total, backed up to two separate devices, one a mirrored drive in the server itself and a second to a USB hard drive on the other side of the house to try to protect from fires, etc.

What backup software do you use? I used to have a very good one on my last laptop, but I lost the disc and can't remember what it was called.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)