Uninteresting Trivial Facts

• Please log in to reply
6209 replies to this topic

#5781 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

What backup software do you use? I used to have a very good one on my last laptop, but I lost the disc and can't remember what it was called.

I just have a robocopy script set to run at 6am every day.  It runs these commands that do it all.  The /mir option mirrors the folders meaning you have to be careful if you accidentally delete anything and don't notice.

robocopy "f:\iTunes" "e:\iTunes" *.* /mir

robocopy "f:\iTunes" "\\home2\iTunes" *.* /mir

I suppose an alternative would be to stick another drive in and add another copy that only runs once a month to get a historical backup.  Drives are so cheap these days that it's a false economy to try to save money on critical backups.

Edit: The first run of the backup takes forever as it's one hell of a lot of data but after that it's just incremental copies of new stuff and deleting old stuff.  The benefit of this is that I have multiple copies of the data, if I go on holiday I just take the USB hard drive with me and I have my entire media library.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5782 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Never could get Robocopy to work.

The backup software I'm using at the moment's working okay, apart from giving you a splash screen every time you restart the system.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5783 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Never could get Robocopy to work.

The backup software I'm using at the moment's working okay, apart from giving you a splash screen every time you restart the system.

I find robocopy quite a simple and elegant solution, it also has the great benefit of being free...

I created a file that I stick in my server's c:\windows\system32 folder called itunesbackup.bat  It contains those two lines in it, make sure there's a line break after the last line.  I then open task scheduler and set it to run that file every day at 6am.  It's elegant and I can leave my system to do its thing without intervention from me.  About once a month, I run the script manually to check that it's working fine.

I've actually just amended the script, thinking about it.  I've left the server drive replication happening but have deleted the copy to my other computer.  I'll run that manually every so often to remove the very slim chance of an automated computer mess-up happening.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5784 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I can remember when my full backups took minutes (well, less than an hour, anyway). Now I have to make sure I've got the right power settings, so the laptop will stay on. Luckily, the current software allows multiple schedules, so my external music folder gets done on one day of the month, the video folder on another, C drive on another etc.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5785 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Is there a programme that allows you to transfer your own tracks onto a Nokia Lumia phone to be used  as the ringtone(s)?

Nokia's own Zune service won't let you do it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5786 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

My computer has decided that none of the emails on my email server have been downloaded before and is happily downloading over 10,000 emails...  It's done it before and there's nowt I can do to stop it as next time I open Outlook it'll do the same, no choice but to leave it to finish the download to mark them as downloaded again.  I think it's a bug with the Mac version of Office.

Thankfully I've a script that checks emails for duplicates and deletes them.

#5787 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

When I was young I coveted a video game Sonic Chaos, and even though I knew the word "chaos" I hadn't read it, and even to this day when I think of the video game I think Sonic Chose.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5788 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

When I was young I was obsessed with grappling hooks and would make dozens from 3 paper clips for all my action figures.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5789 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

Even though I've never bought or owned an album by them, whenever I hear their music I can't help but think how many brilliant songs the Manic Street Preachers have.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5790 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Even though I've never bought or owned an album by them, whenever I hear their music I can't help but think how many brilliant songs the Manic Street Preachers have.

I think they're a bunch of awful whining bastards and I think you do too.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5791 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,169 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think they're a bunch of awful whining bastards and I think you do too.

How come #### doesn't set off the sweary filter?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5792 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,234 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Because sometimes we have to discuss the latest outpouring from Stephen Jones.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5793 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Today I had my first afternoon nap in many months.  A heavy lunchtime meal plus 3 pints knocked it out of me for some reason.

#5794 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

Today I had my first afternoon nap in many months. A heavy lunchtime meal plus 3 pints knocked it out of me for some reason.

Lunchtime drinking is always dangerous. I either fall asleep or develop the worst waking hangover!

LUNEW.jpg

#5795 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

I was going to suggest it's because it's a type of file but Wolford6 has far better reasoning than I.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5796 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

How come #### doesn't set off the sweary filter?.

Yes, you'd think it wouldn't be legitimate.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#5797 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't want to start a thread on this, but this is great, really great - only for UK viewers

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/25197681

Can you imagine this at a rugby league game?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5798 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,582 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I don't want to start a thread on this, but this is great, really great - only for UK viewers

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/25197681

Can you imagine this at a rugby league game?

Wow! 26,000 of them!

#5799 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

There's something mildly amusing about posting generic accusations of people being irrationally paranoid when there's two sides to a story.  Neither side knows if you're referring to them and none really want to challenge the accusation in case they get an "I wasn't talking about you but now you mention it..." reply.

Does that count as trolling? :P

#5800 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I am back from LA but didn't get to fly on the Airbus 380 as it was replaced with a different plane.

28m391z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users