Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

• Please log in to reply
6172 replies to this topic

#5821 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

14 hours and 6 minutes into the new year before I hit the ban button for the first time in 2014.

The forum troll-finder tools are very, very good these days.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5822 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

14 hours and 6 minutes into the new year before I hit the ban button for the first time in 2014.

The forum troll-finder tools are very, very good these days.

I wouldn't call you a tool ck!

#5823 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

We received a marketing letter today from Waitrose.  The tagline in big bold letters on the front was "There's only one waitrose.com", it even included the quotation marks.  I thought that it was very helpful of them telling me there was only one waitrose.com otherwise I may have tried to type it in my browser and been disappointed when I didn't somewhere else, maybe Tesco or Sainsburys.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5824 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

The offer has been accepted for a house in Battle.  It's got three large bedrooms, two nice reception rooms, a good kitchen, utility room and garden - over four floors and is nicely 'period'.

For the same money in Chalfont St Giles we could get ... nothing.

In other news, we are trying to explain to two boys that just because a place is called 'Battle' that that isn't a call to action.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5825 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

The offer has been accepted for a house in Battle.  It's got three large bedrooms, two nice reception rooms, a good kitchen, utility room and garden - over four floors and is nicely 'period'.

For the same money in Chalfont St Giles we could get ... nothing.

In other news, we are trying to explain to two boys that just because a place is called 'Battle' that that isn't a call to action.

I am not sure if I should be concerned now that you are going to be less than 50 miles away from me.....Sussex always used to be so nice....

28m391z.jpg

#5826 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

I am not sure if I should be concerned now that you are going to be less than 50 miles away from me.....Sussex always used to be so nice....

I'm getting closer ...

- Severus, July 2012

#5827 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

He's only 5 miles from me.

Well done Ginge, property in this area is still quite cheap for the south east, our 3 bed, big victorian terrace costs about the same as a 1-bed flat in Uxbridge, where I used to live. (Battle is quite nice, some very tasteful shops)

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5828 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

The standard cup of tea, as described by the International Organization for Standardization in ISO 3103, contains two grams of tea per 100 mL of water.  That means that if you placed the entire global harvest of tea into Ullswater in the Lake District then you'd get a proper cup of tea if you managed to heat it to the right temperature.

#5829 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

The standard cup of tea, as described by the International Organization for Standardization in ISO 3103, contains two grams of tea per 100 mL of water.  That means that if you placed the entire global harvest of tea into Ullswater in the Lake District then you'd get a proper cup of tea if you managed to heat it to the right temperature.

Unfortunately, this would not be practical and people would have different preferences for milk and sugar.  It would also require a larger biscuit than is currently available.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#5830 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Unfortunately, this would not be practical and people would have different preferences for milk and sugar.  It would also require a larger biscuit than is currently available.

You could just treat it like a massive tea urn with people adding their own milk and sugar to taste once they got it into their cup.  You'd have to deal with the complainers that it satisfies neither the builders' tea or the two quick dunks of the teabag types.

The used tea would make a fantastic fertiliser though.

#5831 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Type the word 'askew' into Google...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5832 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

An interview with Tom Lehrer. Still with us, aged 85, I'm glad to say.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5833 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

The standard cup of tea, as described by the International Organization for Standardization in ISO 3103, contains two grams of tea per 100 mL of water. That means that if you placed the entire global harvest of tea into Ullswater in the Lake District then you'd get a proper cup of tea if you managed to heat it to the right temperature.

I once as a joke, and as a test of research abilities, asked some students to describe a recipe for cup of tea, as you would describe it to an Alien.
On the Monday I got a couple of A4 responses, but one student avoided me all day, and Tuesday as well. On Wednesday when she came in she presented me with a 20 page document, with references, on the origin of tea, the molecular breakdown of milk. A brief history of her Caribbean island and it's involvement in sugar production, history of the discovery of electricity, a description of why water boils, and why it varies according to atmospheric pressure, then 4 pages of closely typed A4 of how to make a cup of tea.

I gave her 100%

I still have the document. And the student is now my partner

Edited by Bleep1673, 20 January 2014 - 01:43 PM.

• ckn likes this
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5834 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

I gave her 100%

And the student is now my partner

You old dog.

- Severus, July 2012

#5835 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

You old dog.

Better than being the tree

#5836 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I bet nowadays she makes you make the tea.

:tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5837 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I once as a joke, and as a test of research abilities, asked some students to describe a recipe for cup of tea, as you would describe it to an Alien.
On the Monday I got a couple of A4 responses, but one student avoided me all day, and Tuesday as well. On Wednesday when she came in she presented me with a 20 page document, with references, on the origin of tea, the molecular breakdown of milk. A brief history of her Caribbean island and it's involvement in sugar production, history of the discovery of electricity, a description of why water boils, and why it varies according to atmospheric pressure, then 4 pages of closely typed A4 of how to make a cup of tea.

I gave her 100%

I still have the document. And the student is now my partner

Yeah, but does she put the milk in first?

LUNEW.jpg

#5838 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

every former student puts the milk in first. Saves using a spoon to stir it. Over the years, that saves about fifteen minutes on the washing up.

#5839 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

student .............................................washing up.

Do you see the mistake you made there?

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#5840 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

When I was a student, we never washed anything up after a meal. That would only leave clean plates and cutlery for someone else to use. Therefore, you washed them up whilst the next meal was cooking.

:biggrin:

If we had a big kitchen, we also fetched the dustbin inside ... saved us from  unnecessarily going out into the cold or rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users