What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Please log in to reply
3021 replies to this topic

#2781 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

A lot of listening over the weekend, thanks to this - my step off the upgrade ladder, possibly for good.

s300i.jpg

My arms are still aching from getting it into position - 22kg of unevenly-distributed weight!

Damn thats a beauty, extremely jealous.  

#2782 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

What is it?

I think I want one.

It's the baby of the Krell range - the S-300i. I got an ex-dem one, so £600 off the list price. 

It certainly sounded better than my old amp straight out of the box, but 24 hours solid play* later things started to get a bit magical and continued to improve. It has got great reviews from everyone except What Hi-Fi, so I assume they didn't let their review sample warm up properly. 

*music and TV in the evening, Test Match Special through the night. Don't underestimate how good TV sound can be through a proper amp and speakers instead of the built-in audio hardware.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2783 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#2784 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

#2785 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Vice: Albums of the Year 2013. So, so close to reality! :biggrin:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2786 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

The Casuals - Jesamine. 

This is just one of the greatest pop records ever -ever.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2787 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

LUNEW.jpg

#2788 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Soul music fans will be getting in a bit of a lather over this - Holland/Dozier/Holland: The Complete 45s Collection. Eight CDs!

#2789 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

It's the baby of the Krell range - the S-300i. I got an ex-dem one, so £600 off the list price. 

It certainly sounded better than my old amp straight out of the box, but 24 hours solid play* later things started to get a bit magical and continued to improve. It has got great reviews from everyone except What Hi-Fi, so I assume they didn't let their review sample warm up properly. 

*music and TV in the evening, Test Match Special through the night. Don't underestimate how good TV sound can be through a proper amp and speakers instead of the built-in audio hardware.

What are you using for a phono stage? Given that it's a modern amp, I'm assuming that it doesn't have one. 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#2790 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

What are you using for a phono stage? Given that it's a modern amp, I'm assuming that it doesn't have one.

I see your brothers band are playing Rebellion this year.

Although I aren't sure why I quoted that in the reply! !

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2791 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,580 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2792 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Correct; it's line level only. I'm using the Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk.II, which is actually pretty good. Definitely a step up from the Cambridge phono stage I had before. Room for improvement, though.

What I would have liked on the Krell is a headphone socket. I can get round that, as I have a combined DAC/headphone amp, but not everyone has something of the sort, and headphones are big business these days.

#2793 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I see your brothers band are playing Rebellion this year.

Although I aren't sure why I quoted that in the reply! !

Are they? I think that might be the third year on the trot. From what I remember, they enjoy that one.

#2794 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Correct; it's line level only. I'm using the Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk.II, which is actually pretty good. Definitely a step up from the Cambridge phono stage I had before. Room for improvement, though.

What I would have liked on the Krell is a headphone socket. I can get round that, as I have a combined DAC/headphone amp, but not everyone has something of the sort, and headphones are big business these days.

Cheers, the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one. My old NAIM amp has phono but from what I've read and been told, a separate phono stage can improve the sound considerably. 

The NAIM doesn't have a headphone socket either. Not sure whether that's a bad thing really. I'm sure the only outcome would be the early onset of deafness.

#2795 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Cheers, the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one. My old NAIM amp has phono but from what I've read and been told, a separate phono stage can improve the sound considerably. 

The NAIM doesn't have a headphone socket either. Not sure whether that's a bad thing really. I'm sure the only outcome would be the early onset of deafness.

Well, there's never been a better time to buy one. There's a plethora of good stuff at pretty much all price ranges. I notice the one I have is now discontinued, though, and replaced by a new model.

#2796 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

I'm looking to replace my power amp to match my Cyrus Pre but my arcam power amp has a headphone socket. I want to upgrade the power as I need to step it up as it now doesn't come up to same level as my new Avid turntable and B&W speakers but finding a power amp with a headphone socket is not easy these days, I don't know why.

#2797 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

I'm looking to replace my power amp to match my Cyrus Pre but my arcam power amp has a headphone socket. I want to upgrade the power as I need to step it up as it now doesn't come up to same level as my new Avid turntable and B&W speakers but finding a power amp with a headphone socket is not easy these days, I don't know why.

You'd normally find a headphone socket in a pre-amp, not a power amp. If your pre-amp has a tape loop out, line out or spare pre-amp output socket, you could attach a dedicated headphone amp to that. More of those on the market than ever before, too.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 January 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#2798 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

You'd normally find a headphone socket in a pre-amp, not a power amp. If your pre-amp has a tape loop out, line out or spare pre-amp output socket, you could attach a dedicated headphone amp to that. More of those on the market than ever before, too.

The problem is I budget busted on my turntable so I may have to sit in my Arcam for a bit yet. If I did mange to sort out a new power amp a dedicated headphone amp would be out of the question.

#2799 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Free Sandwiches down the Castle in Bradford. Inspired and humorous folkie renditions of rock and pop standards. 

Hard to believe that  sort of wit and exuberance could be developed in Lancashire.

;) :biggrin:

Great set, boys.

Edited by Wolford6, 13 January 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2800 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

The problem is I budget busted on my turntable so I may have to sit in my Arcam for a bit yet. If I did mange to sort out a new power amp a dedicated headphone amp would be out of the question.

Pete, did you know this was coming up at Fruit? (I'm assuming you'd be interested given your avatar.)

1488644_562313327184204_1357107214_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users