Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#181 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

We've just had a far too rare visit from our local Jay in our garden.  A lovely bird but very shy.  He doesn't seem to like squirrels very much though given by the crawing he was giving one that was too close to him,

Jays are usually quite wary birds, although I used to get one watching me in the garden for some reason. They become more noticeable when the leaves have gone from the trees. They can be quite busy at this time of year making their caches of acorns etc.

Jay also used to be a term for a showy woman.

#182 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

It seems there has been a bumper crop of apples everywhere in Bradford this year.

Aye.

It's been a good year for fruits.

#183 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

It seems there has been a bumper crop of apples everywhere in Bradford this year.

Morrison's and ASDA?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#184 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,567 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

a nuthatch has been pershing on the living room window ledge at our gaff oveer the last few days

beautiful little bird

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#185 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

a nuthatch has been pershing on the living room window ledge at our gaff oveer the last few days
beautiful little bird

Gorgeous little things, aren't they? Have you seen them at Golden Acre? They are really visible around the path separating the park from Adel Dam.

There are also at least two Jays at the top end of the park in the woods. As someone has already said, they are really busy at this time of year. Also, there are two or three little clearings in the woods where my kids got great #### and robins eating out of their hands!

Also look out for the arrival of flocks of fieldfares about this time of year, really colourful and sociable birds.

#186 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,567 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Gorgeous little things, aren't they? Have you seen them at Golden Acre? They are really visible around the path separating the park from Adel Dam.

There are also at least two Jays at the top end of the park in the woods. As someone has already said, they are really busy at this time of year. Also, there are two or three little clearings in the woods where my kids got great #### and robins eating out of their hands!

Also look out for the arrival of flocks of fieldfares about this time of year, really colourful and sociable birds.

Fieldfares are really handsome
Seven arches is a few hundred yards from our gaff there's lots if jays around there throughout the year
Keeping it local

#187 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Fieldfares are really handsome
Seven arches is a few hundred yards from our gaff there's lots if jays around there throughout the year

I've never managed to find seven arches! Tried and given up several times, walking through the woods from Alwoodley cricket club.

#188 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,567 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

I've never managed to find seven arches! Tried and given up several times, walking through the woods from Alwoodley cricket club.

Carry on walking on thé long straight path from thé cricket club through the Woods left at the slabbering baby: thats thé spring that emerges from thé stone fountain just follow thé track and the seven arches will appear through the trees

When you get there and have had à look you can éither turn back or follow the path bearing immediately right and turn right again at a small crossroads in the track

Our gaff is to the left in front of you, the farm is on thé Wright.

Turn right at the farm and walk à few yards onto spring hill

Follow thé track past the houses back into thé woods over the beck And you are back on the straight track to alwoodey cricket club and leos rufc

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 24 October 2013 - 08:17 PM.

Keeping it local

#189 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Yes. There have been lots of fieldfares and redwings piling into the country in recent weeks.

#190 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

The estate wher I live backs on to open farmland ... less than three miles from the city centre, illustrating the surprisingly rural aspect of much of Bradford.

We have had a fair few more "proper" birds on my street this year because someone must have shot a fair few of the crows and magpies that have previously predated on them.

Well done to whoever it was.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#191 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

The estate wher I live backs on to open farmland ... less than three miles from the city centre, illustrating the surprisingly rural aspect of much of Bradford.

We have had a fair few more "proper" birds on my street this year because someone must have shot a fair few of the crows and magpies that have previously predated on them.

Well done to whoever it was.

For some reason we've had far fewer magpies around this way this year for some reason.  There have been times in the past when you couldn't count how many magpies were sitting in the field behind our house, this year you get the occasional pair but none of the swarms of adolescent ones in previous years.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#192 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

I was just going out to clean the junk out of the bird bath from yesterday's wind and stopped myself as I noticed two Jays in the garden.  That's the first time I've ever seen two of them in my garden.  They were quite happily picking away at the detritus left from the wind for quite a while before flying off after the next meal.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#193 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

I saw a heron on the neighbours roof this morning.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#194 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

I saw a heron on the neighbours roof this morning.

I see a lot of Herons flying round Idle. Possibly due to the proximity of the canal.

#195 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I see a lot of Herons flying round Idle. 

I find that difficult to believe.

Must take a lot of effort flapping those large wings.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#196 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

I find that difficult to believe.

Must take a lot of effort flapping those large wings.

Very good! 

#197 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

Amazed to see a family of goldfinch have suddenly appeared in our back garden 5 in total flitting between a plum and an apple tree.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#198 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

We had a Jackdaw in the garden the other day. It landed on the table and started drinking my tea even though I was sitting there. It didn't bother a bit when two of my Grandsons aged 3 and 6 came out and stood next to it. I held out a bit of bread and it took it from me. It stayed about half an hour and then flew off.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#199 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Amazed to see a family of goldfinch have suddenly appeared in our back garden 5 in total flitting between a plum and an apple tree.

Goldfinches seem t have grown in number in recent years, maybe because of more people putting out sunflower seeds, nyger seeds etc. I see them in large numbers in my garden and out and about, right up to the moorland edges. Cracking looking birds.

#200 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

We had a Jackdaw in the garden the other day. It landed on the table and started drinking my tea even though I was sitting there. It didn't bother a bit when two of my Grandsons aged 3 and 6 came out and stood next to it. I held out a bit of bread and it took it from me. It stayed about half an hour and then flew off.

Sounds like fun. Jackdaws are canny birds and can learn quite a few tricks to obtain food.