Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#201 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

We put out sunflower and nyger  seeds for the finches and have loads of goldfinches plus a couple of Bullfinches . We have the usual green and chaffinches as well. a small fledgling gold finch flew into my kitchen window and knocked it's self silly. Husband picked it up and put it somewhere safe under the blueberry bush tiny little thing but very nice.

#202 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Goldfinches seem t have grown in number in recent years, maybe because of more people putting out sunflower seeds, nyger seeds etc. I see them in large numbers in my garden and out and about, right up to the moorland edges. Cracking looking birds.

first time i have seen a goldfinch in my area standish wigan, plenty other finches though, i thought we were a bit to far north for goldfinches?

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#203 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

We put out sunflower and nyger  seeds for the finches and have loads of goldfinches plus a couple of Bullfinches . We have the usual green and chaffinches as well. a small fledgling gold finch flew into my kitchen window and knocked it's self silly. Husband picked it up and put it somewhere safe under the blueberry bush tiny little thing but very nice.

Seen a couple of bullfinches near Melbourne on the Hull to York back road recently. They really are striking looking creatures.

Seen (and heard) a lot of yellowhammers recently. Apparently they're a rare sight in some parts of the country but they're commonplace in the East Yorkshire countryside.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#204 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

first time i have seen a goldfinch in my area standish wigan, plenty other finches though, i thought we were a bit to far north for goldfinches?

Missus, they are resident a lot further north than Standish right up to the north of Scotland. They are not resident in N West Scotland though.

#205 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Seen a couple of bullfinches near Melbourne on the Hull to York back road recently. They really are striking looking creatures.

Seen (and heard) a lot of yellowhammers recently. Apparently they're a rare sight in some parts of the country but they're commonplace in the East Yorkshire countryside.

Aye the bullies are attractive birds.

Yellowhammers are in serious decline in much of the country, which is partly attributable to the grubbing out of hedgerows and bushes in the past and also changes in farming practices. There's only a few of them in Calderdale now.

#206 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Coming back from Featherstone today on the coach ( wish I'd never gone!)
I saw a hare in a field.
I don't think I've ever seen one before.
Sure sign I'm a townee?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#207 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Sparrowhawk in Coniston this morning (that's the Coniston on the Hull to Bridlington road, not the one in the Lake District).

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#208 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,917 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

just before nightfall I was out with the dogs yesterday, and a heron flew over. Not that rare, but against the setting sun it was stunningly graceful.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#209 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

We have a small bird of prey hanging round the garden, think it may be  a merlin

#210 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

just before nightfall I was out with the dogs yesterday, and a heron flew over. Not that rare, but against the setting sun it was stunningly graceful.

There is a large heronry about 500 yards from my house, no one within about 3 miles radius from here have fish in their ponds unless they keep a net over them
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#211 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Coming back from Featherstone today on the coach ( wish I'd never gone!)
I saw a hare in a field.
I don't think I've ever seen one before.
Sure sign I'm a townee?

We used to have a large number of brown hares round here, but that was probably because the Waterloo Cup was held in the area. Since the ban on hare coursing I've only seen the odd one. Sad really; watching them box in the spring was always enjoyable.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#212 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Walking to the dentist this morning from home a red squirrel ran out in front of me and over a garden wall. A very good sign to see one so far from the nature reserve as it's only a few years since we thought we were going to lose the whole colony to squirrel pox.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#213 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

We used to have a large number of brown hares round here, but that was probably because the Waterloo Cup was held in the area. Since the ban on hare coursing I've only seen the odd one. Sad really; watching them box in the spring was always enjoyable.

I don't really understand your point here, why would the presence of the Waterloo Cup lead to a large number of Hares?

For anyone travelling as a passenger by motorway, hares and deers are a really easy spot from the M40 and the M5.  Once you see a few, and get used to looking for them, then you'll see them all the time.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#214 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

I don't really understand your point here, why would the presence of the Waterloo Cup lead to a large number of Hares?

For anyone travelling as a passenger by motorway, hares and deers are a really easy spot from the M40 and the M5. Once you see a few, and get used to looking for them, then you'll see them all the time.

Because they were looked after and encouraged to breed and flourish by the gamekeepers. Since the demise of the Waterloo Cup the local farmers have undertaken a programme of pest control reducing their numbers dramatically.

#215 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Because they were looked after and encouraged to breed and flourish by the gamekeepers. Since the demise of the Waterloo Cup the local farmers have undertaken a programme of pest control reducing their numbers dramatically.

Farmers are just ace.  So when they could gamble they weren't a pest, now that they cannot they are.  Lovely people.

#216 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Farmers are just ace. So when they could gamble they weren't a pest, now that they cannot they are. Lovely people.

I believe they received "compensation" from the landowners (Lord Derby for example), but yes your point stands. I have seen one or two in recent months so maybe they are staging a comeback. I hope so.

#217 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

It is estimated that the hare population has declined by c80% in the last hundred years.

Sightings of hares can be reported to the Hare Preservation Trust :-

http://www.hare-pres...uk/sighting.php

Lamping to kill hares is still, unfortunately, far from eradicated.

Hares are magnificent creatures and are the subject of many myths and folk tales about their powers. 'The Leaping Hare' by George Ewart Evans is well worth a read.

#218 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

I know someone  who goes hare coursing in Scotland with half a dozen mates. The police look the other way if they see them.

Edited by Wolford6, 15 September 2014 - 10:56 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#219 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

It is estimated that the hare population has declined by c80% in the last hundred years.

Sightings of hares can be reported to the Hare Preservation Trust :-
http://www.hare-pres...uk/sighting.php

Lamping to kill hares is still, unfortunately, far from eradicated.

Thanks, I had a good read and will print off a few of those and leave in the car. I'd guess the reduction in numbers is down to habitat change.

I saw one close up two weeks ago whilst cycling, one ran out of a field into the lane I was on and ran up the lane in front of me for about 40 yards until there was another gap where it went back into the field. I was doing over 20 mph, and I didn't make any ground up on it.

As for lamping, I struggle to understand the motives of people who kill for fun.

#220 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

I struggle to understand the motives of people who kill for fun.

Most only kill as many as they want to eat.

Most coursers do it primarily as a sport for, and with, their dogs.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users