Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#201 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

We put out sunflower and nyger  seeds for the finches and have loads of goldfinches plus a couple of Bullfinches . We have the usual green and chaffinches as well. a small fledgling gold finch flew into my kitchen window and knocked it's self silly. Husband picked it up and put it somewhere safe under the blueberry bush tiny little thing but very nice.

#202 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Goldfinches seem t have grown in number in recent years, maybe because of more people putting out sunflower seeds, nyger seeds etc. I see them in large numbers in my garden and out and about, right up to the moorland edges. Cracking looking birds.

first time i have seen a goldfinch in my area standish wigan, plenty other finches though, i thought we were a bit to far north for goldfinches?

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#203 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,375 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

We put out sunflower and nyger  seeds for the finches and have loads of goldfinches plus a couple of Bullfinches . We have the usual green and chaffinches as well. a small fledgling gold finch flew into my kitchen window and knocked it's self silly. Husband picked it up and put it somewhere safe under the blueberry bush tiny little thing but very nice.

Seen a couple of bullfinches near Melbourne on the Hull to York back road recently. They really are striking looking creatures.

Seen (and heard) a lot of yellowhammers recently. Apparently they're a rare sight in some parts of the country but they're commonplace in the East Yorkshire countryside.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#204 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

first time i have seen a goldfinch in my area standish wigan, plenty other finches though, i thought we were a bit to far north for goldfinches?

Missus, they are resident a lot further north than Standish right up to the north of Scotland. They are not resident in N West Scotland though.

#205 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Seen a couple of bullfinches near Melbourne on the Hull to York back road recently. They really are striking looking creatures.

Seen (and heard) a lot of yellowhammers recently. Apparently they're a rare sight in some parts of the country but they're commonplace in the East Yorkshire countryside.

Aye the bullies are attractive birds.

Yellowhammers are in serious decline in much of the country, which is partly attributable to the grubbing out of hedgerows and bushes in the past and also changes in farming practices. There's only a few of them in Calderdale now.

#206 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Coming back from Featherstone today on the coach ( wish I'd never gone!)
I saw a hare in a field.
I don't think I've ever seen one before.
Sure sign I'm a townee?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users