spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Saw a barn owl down Black Tup Lane earlier on this evening, and loads of goldfinches in Walkington.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

The weather is bringing some rare sights, for me anyway.
Around half a dozen long-tailed #### searching food in the trees next to work, never seen those before, and just had a dozen redwings in the garden, along with songthrushes, blackbirds and the usual suspects.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#43 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

We had our first song thrushes in our garden last week, the gossip must be out that we're de-icing the bird bath every morning and putting out plenty of food. We've also had some moorhens hanging around, again never seen them here before.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#44 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

The bird population is struggling at the moment, people are generally binning food which could help them survive. Think Winter....Think Birds.
I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#45 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jan 9 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The weather is bringing some rare sights, for me anyway.

Not related to our feathered friends I know, but there have been a lot of deer hoof prints in the snow when I've got to work in the last couple of days. I don't know whether it's normal for them to hang around the cycle lockers or that the bad weather is forcing them to forage for food further afield than usual.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#46 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (once a ref always a ref @ Jan 9 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bird population is struggling at the moment, people are generally binning food which could help them survive. Think Winter....Think Birds.

We've had a couple of decent sized segments on local news about helping wildlife in this exceptional winter. Biggest problem is water followed by food. We put out two piles daily, one of nuts, the other seeds (split between the ground and bird feeder table). I usually have to chase the magpies at least two or three times before they get the message that they're greedy fat bullies that aren't really welcome.

It usually takes a full kettle of boiling water in the morning to encourage the ice-block that is the bird bath to come loose then a large basin of warm water to refill it and hopefully keep it from freezing for a while. I just put a kettle full of boiling water in the bird bath to get rid of the ice that was building up.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#47 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Mrs VRG saw 3 song thrushes this week and me and our lad saw a Goldfinch this afternoon, it's been a while since we had thrushes down

#48 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (voteronniegibbs @ Jan 9 2010, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mrs VRG saw 3 song thrushes this week and me and our lad saw a Goldfinch this afternoon, it's been a while since we had thrushes down

Since the snow came last week we've been overrun with thrushes on our feeders and of course Robins kicking the ###### out of each other. Other than that plenty of starlings, dunnocks, blackbirds and various finches (I'm not an expert).

Best thing about the snow has been the number of animal tracks that we've had. And with a little research we've been able to confirm what's been through in the last week. Rabbit, Badger, Fox, Cat, and Muntjac tracks all identified to go with the squirrels that raid the bird feeders. We've seen lots of rabbits, as they hunt out a bit of uncovered grass/greenery - they look hilarious in the snow.

Does anyone know if bank voles hibernate?

#49 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

driving along the other day a few miles outside Notts in Radcliffe we saw 2 very large birds, brown, hooked beaks,mottled chests ( chests were akin to a songthrush in colour and style) but we'd definitely not seen them before, obviously a hunting bird of some kindm, a peruse through the book at home told us they were Buzzards, apparently they are becoming more common to be seen

#50 exxile

exxile
  • Coach
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

I had some long tailed #### on one of my bird feeders today; the first time I've seen that. Their usual environment seems to be concrete and tarmac.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

#51 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (voteronniegibbs @ Jan 23 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
driving along the other day a few miles outside Notts in Radcliffe we saw 2 very large birds, brown, hooked beaks,mottled chests ( chests were akin to a songthrush in colour and style) but we'd definitely not seen them before, obviously a hunting bird of some kindm, a peruse through the book at home told us they were Buzzards, apparently they are becoming more common to be seen

There's a pair in a tree on the edge of the field next to my house. I thought they were more a carrion bird than a hunter - seem to always be fighting with crows. Nasty buggers when they've got chicks.

QUOTE (exxile @ Jan 23 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had some long tailed #### on one of my bird feeders today; the first time I've seen that. Their usual environment seems to be concrete and tarmac.

Had them in my garden the once around a hawthorn bush. They came in a locust like swarm - an incredible sight. Never had them on the feeders though.

#52 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Long tailed #### are the party animals of the bird world. Always seem to arrive as a group.

the only birds we actively discourage are the pigeons. My husband hate them.

#53 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Red Willow @ Jan 25 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Long tailed #### are the party animals of the bird world. Always seem to arrive as a group.

the only birds we actively discourage are the pigeons. My husband hate them.

Pigeons rarely come in our garden as they're ungainly birds who struggle getting out of the garden in the time the cat has run from cover. Our feeders and bird bath are all at least 10 feet from cover meaning smaller birds never come close to getting caught. The cats don't seem to bother with small birds but get all starry eyed when one of the chicken-sized pigeons decides to brave the garden.

That said, pigeons are fairly harmless, it's the ****ing magpies that are a nuisance with their constant bullying of all other birds. I'd be quite content if the cats took down a few magpies with their bodies left as an "encouragement" to the others to keep away.

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

lrg skein of geese flying overhead here every day
impressive sight.
the red kites have widened their spehere of influence during the cold weather.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#55 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jan 25 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said, pigeons are fairly harmless, it's the ****ing magpies that are a nuisance with their constant bullying of all other birds. I'd be quite content if the cats took down a few magpies with their bodies left as an "encouragement" to the others to keep away.

The population of Magpies (and Jays?) have rocketed in recent decades. In direct contrast to smaller garden birds (end eggs) on which they prey. If you want birds in your garden to thrive then buy an air rifle and sort out the problem of Magpies and squirrels.

#56 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jan 25 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The population of Magpies (and Jays?) have rocketed in recent decades. In direct contrast to smaller garden birds (end eggs) on which they prey. If you want birds in your garden to thrive then buy an air rifle and sort out the problem of Magpies and squirrels.

Jays are shy birds who rarely come into urban areas. We're very happy for the rare visits our local jays give us. Then we look into the field out back and see about 20+ magpies. dry.gif

#57 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jan 25 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jays are shy birds who rarely come into urban areas. We're very happy for the rare visits our local jays give us. Then we look into the field out back and see about 20+ magpies. dry.gif

Interesting stuff. I find that where I live (not urban) the Magpies are probably the birds that are most spooked by movement in the house. Get about the same number of Jays as Magpies too. Overrun by Dunnocks.

#58 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jan 25 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting stuff. I find that where I live (not urban) the Magpies are probably the birds that are most spooked by movement in the house. Get about the same number of Jays as Magpies too. Overrun by Dunnocks.

The magpies round our way will fly off if I open the window or knock on it but will happily sit in the trees en-masse and make a right racket at the cats. I've found they're bloody useless at getting things from hanging feeders so have gone from openly putting food on uncovered bird tables to covered ones that they can't access.

I live right at the edge of the town bordering on the countryside and the jays only come this way 2-3 times a year at most.

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jan 25 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they aren't shy round here they are strting to challenge the magpies for supremacy. You sometimes get three or four in our garden
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#60 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jan 25 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The magpies round our way will fly off if I open the window or knock on it but will happily sit in the trees en-masse and make a right racket at the cats.

Get an air rifle....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users