Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#121 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jun 10 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Male, female, young.They were last year.

Seen adult pair just once this year, usually just one of them, either sex.

They obviously do roam widely, not been seen this week yet, I believe, and can have months between sightings.

Ta.

I get them all the time in the garden, but only ever one adult at a time.

#122 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

had a bullfinch on the roof this afternoon

#123 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

and the blackbirds have taken a distinct liking to the strawberry crop down on the west paddock

#124 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Two bloody great carrion crows picking over the remains of a bank vole family in a nest that I presume a fox dug up overnight.

#125 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Took a rare opportunity to take middle son to Bempton Cliffs today. What a magnificent, stunning place.

I really urge anyone with even the vaguest interest in wildlife to pay a visit if you can - puffins, gannets, kittiwakes, razorbills, guillemots, you name it - you can almost reach out and touch them. You need to go at this time of year, mind.

Also went into Bridlington for an hour or so - even that place looked ok in the sunshine today. Went on the pirate ship cruise too, so we did. Yaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr!

happy day smile.gif

#126 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Leeds Wire @ Jun 24 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took a rare opportunity to take middle son to Bempton Cliffs today. What a magnificent, stunning place.

I really urge anyone with even the vaguest interest in wildlife to pay a visit if you can - puffins, gannets, kittiwakes, razorbills, guillemots, you name it - you can almost reach out and touch them. You need to go at this time of year, mind.

Also went into Bridlington for an hour or so - even that place looked ok in the sunshine today. Went on the pirate ship cruise too, so we did. Yaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr!

happy day smile.gif

Brid has a very nice south beach

#127 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Leeds Wire @ Jun 24 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

happy day smile.gif

You're right. The cliffs at Bempton are a stunning spectacle. If you're around there again Dane's Dyke and Flamborough are well worth a visit too.

I like Brid mesen. My favourite bit is the Old Town around the Priory though. It's very different to the part of town that caters for day-trippers and holiday makers.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#128 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

We appear to have a pair of Blackbirds just sitting on eggs at the moment. They have picked the big Willow tree in the garden. I assume this is the 2nd brood

#129 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Just seen a tawny owl sitting on the grass verge on the Caistor road just outside Barton-on-Humber

It didn't know I was there until I was about four feet away. It was a an amazing sight that close up.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#130 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

Had 3 red kites over the house yesterday morning, hardly above rooftop.
Their calls woke me and now ring bearing partner from afterglow slumbers.
For such a bird it's a pityful voice.
Still so awesome to watch, though.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#131 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Something very unusual happened this morning... I was driving up the busy main road between Leeds and Otley (top of Pool Bank near the airport for those that know it) and I slammed on my brakes to avoid a bird that was stood in the middle of the road. As I drove past, giving it a very wide berth, I realised it was a an owl - either a very young tawny or a little owl. It just stood there, staring across the road.

My heart then sank thinking it was soon to be a goner, but as the cars behind me took evasive action the owl just shot up and flew off. Remarkable.

Incidentally I was on my way to Upper Wharfedale to do a walk - loads of birdlife on the Wharfe, like housemartins, oystercatchers, dippers and pied wagtails. The Yorkshire Dales in the sunshine really are a magnificent sight.

smile.gif

#132 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

it seems we have been adopted by a hedgehog, he ( or is it a she....how do you tell without looking at the undercarriage ? ) comes trundling onto the back paddock below the north wing veranda at the same time each evening for a feed

#133 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Just seen a sparrowhawk fly into the roses at the bottom of the garden trying to get it's prey, then it realised it couldn't get out, never seen that before.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#134 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Just walked along GU canal to come back from Tesco, lovely.
Moorhens, coots, ducks, and duck with more ducklings in tow, dragonflies, various thrushes.
Downside was the swan family on the bank sunning themselves, a parent each side of the cygnets.
Got attacked edging past.....
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
And again!!!Posted Image

#135 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

The pair of song thrushes are back as regular visitors to our garden after a few months away. smile.gif

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#136 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Was pleasantly surprised to see a badger trundling across Welton Dale on Saturday morning. I didn't think they came out in daylight.

#137 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

Was pleasantly surprised to see a badger trundling across Welton Dale on Saturday morning. I didn't think they came out in daylight.

Saw one at dusk on Saturday. Big ###### it was. Never seen one in full daylight but would love to.

#138 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Saw one at dusk on Saturday. Big ###### it was. Never seen one in full daylight but would love to.

I saw one in my headlights.
They can't half wreck a car....... :sad:
And again!!!Posted Image

#139 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

I saw one in my headlights.
They can't half wreck a car....... :sad:

Yes, so I am told. My mate hit one whilst driving his Fiesta and made a right mess.

The badger baiters really ought to stop throwing them in the road off the back of their landrovers too. Am I really expected to believe that they run out at 1/4 mile intervals and find their way under cars all on the same night?

#140 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

A beautiful male sparrowhawk swooped past me today and landed on the roof of the house at the bottom of our garden. He stood there for about 5 minutes, bold as brass.

Unfortunately, my camera is about 10 years old and utter bobbins. :(

Still, it was a pleasure to watch. This is the best I could do with my hopeless camera, despite only being about 30 metres away:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users