spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#141 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

A beautiful male sparrowhawk swooped past me today and landed on the roof of the house at the bottom of our garden. He stood there for about 5 minutes, bold as brass.

Unfortunately, my camera is about 10 years old and utter bobbins. :(

Still, it was a pleasure to watch. This is the best I could do with my hopeless camera, despite only being about 30 metres away:

Posted Image

We've had a kestrel sitting on our garden fence lately, every time I go to get some sort of camera it disappears :(

I can usually tell when it's near because all other noise outside from the little birds stops. Even shuts the magpies up

I should really keep the camera ready on my desk rather than putting it securely away in its padded bag...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#142 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Where have all the birds gone? Seriously, all the varieties of #### and finches seem to have just disappeared.

All that is left are a couple of fat wood pigeons, a pair of blackbirds eating our manky old apples, one occasional robin and a fleeting visit from a solitary jay.

What's going on?

Edit T. I. T. S. is not a swear word!

Edited by Leeds Wire, 19 January 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#143 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Where have all the birds gone? Seriously, all the varieties of #### and finches seem to have just disappeared.

All that is left are a couple of fat wood pigeons, a pair of blackbirds eating our manky old apples, one occasional robin and a fleeting visit from a solitary jay.

What's going on?

Is that in your garden? I've seen loads of blue t i t s and great t i t s and some fair sized flocks of goldfinches out in the country.

A week or two back I saw a huge flock of fieldfares at Wrangmandale Wold and one of the biggest flocks of lapwings I've ever seen.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#144 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

What's going on?

It's the mild winter keeping them in the country according to this
http://www.guardian....ens-rspb-winter
I know that on New Years Day, the bird table at my daughters near Stonehenge was swarming with chaffinches, bluetits, coaltits and starlings.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#145 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Is that in your garden? I've seen loads of blue t i t s and great t i t s and some fair sized flocks of goldfinches out in the country.

A week or two back I saw a huge flock of fieldfares at Wrangmandale Wold and one of the biggest flocks of lapwings I've ever seen.

Yes, sorry, I meant in my garden.

I wonder if the spread of red kites is scaring them away. The kites are now regularly hovering only about 20 metres above all the gardens around here - I know they don't usually go for live prey but the garden birds probably don't know that!

edit - thanks Trojan, that would explain it

Edited by Leeds Wire, 23 January 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#146 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

My garden has had all the usual vistors, long tailed ####, gold finches, and a solo woodpecker

We feed them all year wonder if that makes a difference.

#147 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yes, sorry, I meant in my garden.

I wonder if the spread of red kites is scaring them away. The kites are now regularly hovering only about 20 metres above all the gardens around here - I know they don't usually go for live prey but the garden birds probably don't know that!

edit - thanks Trojan, that would explain it

I've sen red kites over Eccup Resevoir
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#148 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,832 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

I wonder if the spread of red kites is scaring them away ... I know they don't usually go for live prey but the garden birds probably don't know that!

Oh yes they do. Ignore all that guff the RSPB says about them taking rabbits and so forth. Their easiest meal is a knackered racing pigeon that's just flown 100 miles on its way home.
<_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#149 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

I was, ahem, working hard in my study at home this aft, looked out of the window and saw this handsome jay in the cherry tree, waiting for the rain to stop. Again, rubbish camera, but another nice moment.

Posted Image

#150 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

A bloomin' great buzzard flew over Ermine Street as I was cycling along yesterday.

They seem to be becoming more common in this part of the world.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#151 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

A bloomin' great buzzard flew over Ermine Street as I was cycling along yesterday.

They seem to be becoming more common in this part of the world.

There have been a few Red Kites spotted near us we had one on our decking last year, they fly over the Humber from the Far Ings nature reserve were they nest, a mate of mine works there he said they has been a jump in numbers after new habitat has been created for them to breed.

#152 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

It's those robins you need to worry about in West Hull.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#153 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

It's those robins you need to worry about in West Hull.

Theres is a Robin that is a regular visitor to my back garden my next door neighbours black and white cat constantly sits on top of the shed watching it waiting to pounce it always comes off second best, a bit ironic really.

Edited by westhuller, 17 June 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#154 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

We had a grey wagtail in the garden this morning. First time I've seen one here :)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#155 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

We had a grey wagtail in the garden this morning. First time I've seen one here :)

Good spot. Not usually a garden bird, but they will come in if hungry enough.

#156 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Good spot. Not usually a garden bird, but they will come in if hungry enough.

We have a very quiet garden at the edge of the countryside that gets its fair share of rural birds. The wildlife aspect was one of the main reasons we picked this house.

#157 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

We have a very quiet garden at the edge of the countryside that gets its fair share of rural birds. The wildlife aspect was one of the main reasons we picked this house.

A river nearby?

#158 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

A river nearby?

A brook. Fairly slow moving and very shallow but about 6-8 foot across on average

#159 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

we have had a few new visitors this year, loads of goldfinches, beautiful birds and have seen a few siskins.

#160 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

A brook. Fairly slow moving and very shallow but about 6-8 foot across on average

That will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users