• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

t'other way round for me paul! I can, and do live without murdoch! I'd miss the Beeb!

If Sky went the way of setanta, would there be no RL to watch ever again in this country???
The championship survived the collapse of the monkey and Saint's finest benidormer!!
I would suggest that RL would survive the collapse (or withdrawal) sky but accept that we are so tied to murdoch at the mo there would be some casualties if that relationship broke up suddenly. There would have to be some severe re-structuring at clubs and an almost certain return to semi-pro for what is now SL. As we're still no nearer the Aussies I wouldn't care if we stopped chasing that holy grail anyway.

Daft thing is, I think some of the championship clubs could probably stand the [hypothetical] storm better than some, if not all SL clubs!

I should probably care - but I don't think I would if sky did eventually pull out.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#22 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
t'other way round for me paul! I can, and do live without murdoch! I'd miss the Beeb!

If Sky went the way of setanta, would there be no RL to watch ever again in this country???
The championship survived the collapse of the monkey and Saint's finest benidormer!!
I would suggest that RL would survive the collapse (or withdrawal) sky but accept that we are so tied to murdoch at the mo there would be some casualties if that relationship broke up suddenly. There would have to be some severe re-structuring at clubs and an almost certain return to semi-pro for what is now SL. As we're still no nearer the Aussies I wouldn't care if we stopped chasing that holy grail anyway.

Daft thing is, I think some of the championship clubs could probably stand the [hypothetical] storm better than some, if not all SL clubs!

I should probably care - but I don't think I would if sky did eventually pull out.

The thing is Robin, people have been saying "If sky went belly up"..... for the best part of two decades now! It still appears to be going strong.

Yes, it would cause damage to the game if they did pull out, no denying that. You only have to look at ITV and lower league football for that. But, some people have problems with Sky/ Murdoch for nowt to do with their involvement with RL but other stuff.

I know some folk think that sky is root of all evil but I'm quite the opposite (in the wider context, I'm not sure whether its been good or bad for Rugby League yet... I'd probably say on balance though its had both positives or negatives and had more impact than other media outlets).

I can't see there being much difference whether the CC Final is shown on the BBC or not to be honest. Can't see the fuss.

#23 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

I don't think they will go belly up Paul. Around 1991/2ish they were in the balance and struggling. Business wise they have a massive share of the market now and are unlikely to go that way.

However, I'm not sure their continued involvement in RL is assured as we may believe, and tho I'm not one to closely scrutinise the markets and economy etc, it does appear that all our eggs are in a basket with "rupert" on the side of it! If murdoch's 'suits' decide RL doesn't represent value for money, then it most certainly will withdraw from RL.

If there is to be an ending of the relationship between sky and RL, (and i've no evidence to suggest there will be, it's more likely to be for the above reasons than a collapse of murdoch's empire.

You're right of course. I have other issues with murdoch, but his involvement with RL does indeed play a part in my feelings towards sky.

#24 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think they will go belly up Paul. Around 1991/2ish they were in the balance and struggling. Business wise they have a massive share of the market now and are unlikely to go that way.

However, I'm not sure their continued involvement in RL is assured as we may believe, and tho I'm not one to closely scrutinise the markets and economy etc, it does appear that all our eggs are in a basket with "rupert" on the side of it! If murdoch's 'suits' decide RL doesn't represent value for money, then it most certainly will withdraw from RL.

If there is to be an ending of the relationship between sky and RL, (and i've no evidence to suggest there will be, it's more likely to be for the above reasons than a collapse of murdoch's empire.

You're right of course. I have other issues with murdoch, but his involvement with RL does indeed play a part in my feelings towards sky.

and this is why we have Celtic and Quins in Super League, make SL a national competition = value for money.

Cummins Out.

#25 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Nov 15 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and this is why we have Celtic and Quins in Super League, make SL a national competition = value for money.

are you being Ironic there Matt or do you actually believe that??

#26 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you being Ironic there Matt or do you actually believe that??

Part of me believes that if we didnt have Quins and Crusaders in Super League, we'd be on a list of things Sky could save money on.

Cummins Out.

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

and I think you'd be bang right!

#28 Kirkie

Kirkie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and I think you'd be bang right!

robin did you say you are a grumpy sod well hello from another grumpy old sod maybe two grumpy old sods could meet next season to chew the fat. I too love fev , my reasons for that also go very deep , in a differant way i dare say than your good self

#29 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

In the lagoon before any match day. look for a Big ginger bloke the size of a tree, usually wearing a shirt of exemplary good taste! Say hello!

#30 Kirkie

Kirkie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the lagoon before any match day. look for a Big ginger bloke the size of a tree, usually wearing a shirt of exemplary good taste! Say hello!

I look forward to that , I am just a little bloke on the verge of fifty ,twill be good to meet some good fev supporters,I have not been for a couple of years , would love to get back to it,is the lagoon underneath the family stand

#31 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

You won't be able to miss him Kirkie...

#32 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Kirkie @ Nov 15 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I look forward to that , I am just a little bloke on the verge of fifty ,twill be good to meet some good fev supporters,I have not been for a couple of years , would love to get back to it,is the lagoon underneath the family stand

It is Kirkie. You are guaranteed to hear the world being put to rights in there owd co_ck!

#33 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (PJT @ Nov 15 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be able to miss him Kirkie...

Ha bloody ha!! cool.gif

#34 Kirkie

Kirkie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 15 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha bloody ha!! cool.gif

Robin is this really a shirt that you wear

#35 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Kirkie @ Nov 15 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's his away kit. You should see the home one.

#36 Kirkie

Kirkie
  • Coach
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Nov 15 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's his away kit. You should see the home one.

Ooooooh cannot wait

#37 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Kirkie @ Nov 15 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His is a lot bigger laugh.gif
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#38 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Robin Evans is the epitome' of sartorial elegance. a modern day beau brumell no less. what's worn in wath this year, will be all the rage in new york next year.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#39 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Nov 15 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I presume you are taking the micky there Matt.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#40 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Nov 16 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I presume you are taking the micky there Matt.

Well thats how its seen at Sky Sports, if you have a sport which has teams from all over the UK, its got to be better financially for them than having teams from the M62 corridor.

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users