Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crusaders news

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

All in the name of expansion? Another fine mess for the RFL to sort out

http://news.bbc.co.u...ers/8387114.stm

Edited by Phil Stone, 30 November 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#2 snake1985

snake1985
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

get them out of super league!!!!
Posted Image

#3 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'd love to see people defend this shambles of a club (yet again).....

On other thoughts, maybe the 'traditionalists' were right all along wink.gif

#4 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (PJT @ Nov 30 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If FEV said they might play in Scarborough for example what would our fan base think about that for instance. This is no way to build up your support the Crusaders are bringing the game into disrepute. What is their actual identity? Where is this town in Wales called Crusaders? Our game is run by shambolic idiots and its time they resigned.

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (PJT @ Nov 30 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The game is now run far better, at all levels, than at any time in its history Paul. Didn't you know?

What is a traditionalist?

What were they right about?

What makes you think it's a shambles?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

i've nothing new to bring to this. My feelings haven't changed. I don't believe the way the crusaders have been "introduced" to sl was correct. And i still believe in auto promotion & relegation and giving every club an equal opportunity should they wish to take it!
I do not see anything in the crusaders off or on field performances to change any of my views.
The song remains the same!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#7 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Nov 30 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The game is now run far better, at all levels, than at any time in its history Paul. Didn't you know?

What is a traditionalist?

What were they right about?

What makes you think it's a shambles?

Where have I said that Terry? I don't know what you're on about.

The point of the thread isn't about Celtic, its about the the Vichy Government and previous regimes messing things up.

#8 Chris Hirst

Chris Hirst
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

For the Crusaders as they are now called to play at Wrexham is a joke as it is so close to Cheshire.

The only possible reason that I could tolerate them was the remote possibililty that the game might take off in South Wales.

I have a work colleague who is a union fan, lives in Bridgend and did take in a couple of Celtic matches last year but is now totally disgusted with the club and the way that they have left his town.

Perhaps we should move to Scarborough for the first year of a three year licence and then move back for the second two years.

#9 Wanger

Wanger
  • Coach
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

The game is a shambles.

What a joke!!!!!!

I have just been to dinner with a true Fev great and anything this day and age doesn't come close.

What a shambles the RFL today is!!!!!!
Two narnty farrrrvvvvvvvv!!!

#10 rover n out

rover n out
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 30 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i've nothing new to bring to this. My feelings haven't changed. I don't believe the way the crusaders have been "introduced" to sl was correct. And i still believe in auto promotion & relegation and giving every club an equal opportunity should they wish to take it!
I do not see anything in the crusaders off or on field performances to change any of my views.
The song remains the same!

was it intentional to quote a live album by led zeppelin ??

Twenty minutes before a gig, he dons the suit and walks out as though he's on his way to a caning from the headmaster, Except its Angus that does the whipping!!

#11 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:19 AM

sort of! cool.gif

Edited by Robin Evans, 01 December 2009 - 08:52 AM.

#12 The Two Amigos

The Two Amigos
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Crusaders 60,000 fine

The Crusaders could be fined 60,000 over the visa irregularities that led to the UK Borders Agency deporting six of their Australia-born players.
Come On Fev !!!!!!!!!

#13 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

It certainly doesnt help the game. It'll be seen as another RL shambles where the toe has just been dipped and millions of pounds wasted again and for nothing? is RL anymore popular in Wales now than it was before the Crusaders emerged? It certainly doesn't look like it is as no one even wants to give the game a home down there.
It's time we stopped throwing money at pin in a map ventures like this and focus on the heartlands where people want to watch and play the game. The sooner someone up there realises their big plan isn't working the better, we need to consolidate what we have before we lose the lot.

Edited by Mick H, 01 December 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#14 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

Just let them get on with it, I need a good laugh from time to time.

#15 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (The Two Amigos @ Dec 1 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crusaders 60,000 fine

The Crusaders could be fined 60,000 over the visa irregularities that led to the UK Borders Agency deporting six of their Australia-born players.

of course, they could, and in all possibility escape with an admonishment or a suspended fine! If Leighton Samuels tenure as owner and general govner of the crusaders is coming to an end, as has been eluded to in some circles, then the clubs remaining backers wouldn't in all probability stump up a hefty fine for an historial co-ck up, which IMO the RFL are complicit.

If LS remains, he may say sod it, I'm not paying any fine anyway!! (This is pure speculation here - there's plenty of speculation from crusaders fans is that he's getting fed up)! But either way, a huge fine would leave the club in a very precarious position if they aren't there already. Are the RFL going to condemn them????

Methinks not! I think they'll make all the right noises, doling out sound bites and spin about governence and accountability within the game etc, but in reality, the desire to keep the game going in S.Wales/N. Wales etc, will be the priority for the RFL.

#16 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Dec 1 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's time we stopped throwing money at pin in a map ventures like this and focus on the heartlands where people want to watch and play the game. The sooner someone up there realises their big plan isn't working the better, we need to consolidate what we have before we lose the lot.

Could happen sooner rather than later Mick. According to League Express the SL clubs might be about to push for a retreat to the heartlands with just 12 clubs participating in their self proclaimed elite competition. Harlequins, having lost 1.8m during the year 2008, might end up going the same way as Crusaders.

What's so annoying is that the average fan on the terraces knew at the outset what the end result of this foolish venture would be. Sadly the men charged with running the game didn't. But what do we know? We're just flat cappers.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#17 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have made noises many times about the unfair advantages given to expansion teams , one thing to note is even though I have strong feelings about this, had the RFL decided that two clubs would be promoted to Super League 2009 and no Super league team relegated, then Celtic would have qualified. The thing that is galling, however, is the fact that they did so by playing players on a tourist or visitors visas. If for instance a club spends more money than it should have, even by accident, they would be punished, possibly by a points deduction. The process of deciding the fate of Crusaders is now down to the long winded outcome from the U.K Border agency and until that is concluded, it is difficult for the RFL to act. They must, however, act when the decision is known and be decisive in their actions. We are already hearing mutterings about yet another Paris team being brought into Super League another French team in the Championship. All this is taking money out of the game in G.B. and sending it back to the Antipodes as there is a distinct lack of up and coming talent to sustain the French leagues. Yes many fans who visited France enjoyed the experience, but how much did it cost the RFL ? each team is allowed, I believe a squad of 25 players ,coaches ,medical staff I expect that there would not be much change out of 5,000 per game multiply that by 10 and that's 50,000 per annum, double it as Toulouse have to play away as well then that becomes 100,000 per season. So if we took the logic and said each Championship club and Championship 1 were given an equal share each club could have 5,000 towards improving standards for spectators, helping youngsters take up the game or whatever apart from paying wages or debts. I stated the case of a French club, but of course there are two French clubs plus three in the challenge cup bringing the total per season to a quarter of a million pounds. Or 1million pounds over four years, where is this money coming from ? How much does it cost the RFL to assist the Expansion teams including London Harlequins and Crusaders ? My guess is they don't worry enough about OUR gras root levels starting with out very junior teams in the amateur game through to the professional game. The restrictions placed on Championship clubs who wish to run at under 18 level make it impossible for them to operate teams at that level ( A cost of 40,000 per season is estimated) that means there is no worthwhile competition outside Super League for up and coming youngsters. That's where the money should go not some pipe dream about a week end in Paris, Spain or Wrexham.
To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#18 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

Here's another.
Harlequins urged to increase crowds.They have been knocking about in London in one guise or another since Fulham (in 1980?)
The capitol city and their average attendance is so low. I wonder what proportion of fans have been supporting the away teams.
Makes our attendances in comparison pretty good. Just imagine what they would be like if we were in SL. They would at the very least compare and no doubt be higher.

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/8388266.stm

#19 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Phil Stone @ Dec 1 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's another.
Harlequins urged to increase crowds.They have been knocking about in London in one guise or another since Fulham (in 1980?)
The capitol city and their average attendance is so low. I wonder what proportion of fans have been supporting the away teams.
Makes our attendances in comparison pretty good. Just imagine what they would be like if we were in SL. They would at the very least compare and no doubt be higher.

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/8388266.stm

IT seems to me as there is some panic stations going on behind the scenes at RL headquarters. Harlequins are now in the spotlight and other super league clubs wishing to revert back to the heartlands. Who has suddenly hit them with the hammer of common sense? Now lets see .....Crusaders v Leeds attendance 3015 OR Widnes v Leeds attendance 8998 of course these are imaginary games and attendances but has the penny finally dropped? Lets hope so for the love of our game.

#20 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hate to gloat, but the majority of fans, who incidentally know nothing about the game, predicted such an outcome at the beginning of this shambles.
There is no way you can establish RL in the union heartland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users