TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Davies Report and the RL Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 4 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know there are some unfortunates but they are not all they seem. Reguarly in the paper shop I am behind unemployed people who buy forty fags and spend £20 on the lottery. Further I have also seen lots of former Featherstone supporters both employed and unemployed in the pubs watching Sky on television. That is another avenue that is open to them. I still think it is a matter of choice. Having been extremely poor myself and unemployed I have every sympathy for disabled people in any form. I also have personal experience of that. I am simply saying that people have their priorities and it is a matter of choice. I get better value watching Sky than I do BBC. Now if you were advocating a reduction in the BBC licence fee I would be right behind you. People might not be able to afford Sky because they have put other things before it in their list of how they spend their money. It is still a matter of choice. Don't think Robin that I haven't got some thoughts that follow your line of thinking. I still believe that facilities for workers such as canteens and playing fields provided by employers are only provided bercause a happy worker, works harder and makes more brass for the boss. See You, Col.

Well done Robin on having the patience to reply to the above post. For me there are far to many generalisations and stereo-types to be bothered with.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#22 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Dec 5 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done Robin on having the patience to reply to the above post. For me there are far to many generalisations and stereo-types to be bothered with.

Why should Robin have to have patience to answer a post that you obviously don't agree with. As far as I am aware we were having a discussion from different points of view. To dismiss somebody's argument offhand because you don't agree with it is also stereo-typed and also a generalisation. You don't agree so dismiss it. But then we listen to you. Give me the same courtesy. Is there an inner club that we are outside of, that decides what is right and what is wrong There are quite a number of points that Robin and Bob have made that are spot on. Others I didn't agree with. Does one have to have patience to give an answer? Sorry sir, this naughty poster will try not to disturb your patience in future.

#23 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Bob Fowler @ Dec 5 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I said earlier I have no axe to grind with anyone who decides to pay fro subscription television. The whole crux of the matter though is, should the major sporting events be available on free to view television ? My answer was yes. I was also taking into account that many people could not afford to pay subscriptions. Colin you are right there are Pubs and Clubs to watch big games in if you wish, the clubhouse opened for this purpose and no-one was interested. There is bound to be many different programme choices available on SKY , that though is not the point, the whole point is that I pay my television licence to the BBC for them to entertain me, without that licence I am not able to watch ANY television.
Like you Colin I live on a pension, one which I contributed to all my working life and because I am not yet 65, never increases year after year so my income is static my outgoings are different. I do, however, have savings whch I could if required use, but the question is and will always be, should premium sporting events be available to the MAJORITY on free to view, I say yes. The argument about someone on benefits buying 40 fags cannot come into the equation the same as how can unemployed drug addicts afford a "fix"? £40 a month could be the difference between someone eating for a month and starving or freezing. I would much rather be frugal in that case, however, my main beef is that SKY nearly killed my rugby club by insisting on a merger and kicking us uncerimonally into the twighlight zone. That I still find difficult to forgive. Some will say it wasn't SKY's fault if that's the case, why not defer the start of Super League for one more season to allow clubs to fight for a legitimate place in the league, to form a credible business plan for Paris St Germain and London and forget about destrying the heritage of our game ? That would have made a more exciting scenarion, Paris may not have gone down the metro and Workington and Oldham would not have found themsleves struggling year in year out as they do now.The idea of Super League was a good one it was just badly thought out and implemented.

So in your case Bob it is a matter of chioce like I said it was for quite a number of people. 'free to view' I suppose you mean people who can't afford the standard licence. In those cases they should have free to view on Sky. People who refuse to pay for Sky because they object on grounds of a, b, or c were the people I was aiming at. They have a choice. People who can't afford a meal have no choice so they are out of my arguement. Or is this another generalisation? To throw the very poor at me when I was talking about people who had decided not to take up Sky because of other priorities is going off at a tangent. You don't have Sky because we are not in SL. That is your choice.

#24 lorne mosley.

lorne mosley.
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

There's some right pretentious cack on here lately, reckon it'll all change after boxing day ?

Edited by lorne mosley., 05 December 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#25 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (lorne mosley. @ Dec 5 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's some right pretentious cack on here lately, reckon it'll all change after boxing day ?

Aye. Give us a game to talk about. wink.gif

#26 Marto

Marto
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Further to earlier discussions, the consultation period on the Davies Report is now open until March 5th 2010.

As you will be aware, the Davies Report has recommended that the Rugby League Challenge Cup be removed from the list of free-to-air events. To remove the Challenge Cup from the free-to-air list would mean a huge and very significant drop in exposure for the game, which we believe will severely limit the ability of the sport to grow. For a sport which has proven to have benefits to health and wellbeing and is able to be adapted for almost any person (whether able bodied or not) to play, this could also have serious knock-on effects in health terms throughout the country. Further details of the consultation period can be found here http://www.culture.g...tions/6496.aspx.

After the closure of the consultation period, the Secretary of State will make a decision on whether to accept or ignore these recommendations which is being opposed by the RFL, the APPRLG (All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group) and Supporters Direct. He will take into account ALL available information and views. It is felt by all parties that a large number of responses opposing this recommendation could ensure the Challenge Cup remains on the protected list for future generations to enjoy and I would urge you to show your support for this campaign in one (or both) of two ways:

Firstly, an online petition has now been set up at http://www.gopetitio...line/32754.html Please add your name to this petition which will be forwarded to Neil Turner, Secretary of the APPRLG a week prior to the closure of the consultation.

Secondly, you can send your response to David Patterson at the DCMS either via email on listedeventsconsultation@culture.gsi.gov.uk or via mail at:

David Patterson
Listed Events Consultation
5th Floor
Department for Culture, Media & Sport
2-4 Cockspur Street
London
SW1Y 5DH

I have drafted a letter (Below) to Mr. Patterson which you are free to use yourself or forward to other contacts who may wish to respond also.

The Challenge Cup has provided some iconic moments in our countryís great sporting history. Please show your support and ensure the event remains on free-to-air TV for future generations to enjoy.

Laura Harrison

Rugby League Supporters Trusts Development Officer

CODE
Mr David Patterson
Listed Events Consultation
5th Floor
Department for Culture, Media & Sport
2-4 Cockspur Street
London
SW1Y 4DH

Dear Mr. Patterson,

I am writing to give my support to the RFL, APPRLG (All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group) and Supporters Direct campaign to keep the Rugby League Challenge Cup on the protected list of free-to-air events.

The Challenge Cup is one of sports oldest competitions and has provided many iconic moments in our countryís great sporting history and at grass roots level, rugby league is now one of the fastest growing sports in the country.

To remove the Challenge Cup from the free-to-air list would mean a huge and very significant drop in exposure for the game, which we believe will severely limit the ability of the sport to grow. For a sport which has proven to have benefits to health and wellbeing and is able to be adapted for almost any person (whether able bodied or not) to play, this could also have serious knock-on effects in health terms.

I would urge the Secretary of State to ignore the recommendations on the delisting of the Challenge Cup made in the Davies Report, to ensure that the competition remains on the free-to-air list for future generations to enjoy the excitement and passion that the sport evokes.

Yours sincerely

Posted Image

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users