Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#121 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

It was realy slippy here, i couldnt go to get my wheelie bin in, it was too icy underfoot............SO I SENT THE WIFE biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#122 waistline expansionist

waistline expansionist
  • Coach
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

I am currently in the Alps and can tell you the reason why the snow causes road chaos in the UK: nobody has snow tyres.

#123 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (waistline expansionist @ Dec 22 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently in the Alps and can tell you the reason why the snow causes road chaos in the UK: nobody has snow tyres.

After speaking with my French colleague yesterday - her family live just south of Paris - I'm never going to believe this "snow causes no problems in foreign" spiel again!
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#124 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,937 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

A couple of years before we moved from France to here, Paris was paralysed by a relatively moderate snowfall: thousands were trapped overnight in their cars on the A10 south west of Paris. On the it just looked like Basingstoke yesterday!

Of course, Parisians are France's equivalent to "Southerners" laugh.gif laugh.gif

#125 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Dec 22 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After speaking with my French colleague yesterday - her family live just south of Paris - I'm never going to believe this "snow causes no problems in foreign" spiel again!

The places where it causes no problems are where they have it all the time. I'm sure we would be OK if we spent loads more tax on gritting lorries you don't use for 95% of the year, snow tyres on all cars at about 1000 a set etc. etc.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#126 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Im flying home for Christmas to East Midlands on the 24th and driving up to picturesque Fev to treat the better half to a wonderful YOrkshire Christmas.

Headline grabbing rhetoric apart, am I likely to encounter problems M1, M18, A1? Or do I really need to pack snow chains for the tyres? Or stay in Las Palmas (74 this arvo)?

Ta.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#127 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

To be honest I have spent couple of days travelling over the M62 to york and skelton, and once I got past Oldham it was no problem at all.

Was listening to some god awful local yorkshire radio station (pulse or some such drivel)
and they were claiming 10cms of snow would fall immediately! dont leave the house etc etc
It was as sunny as you like at the time.

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#128 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (waistline expansionist @ Dec 22 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

plus we don't get taught how to drive in it. i learnt so much from a norwegian mate at the start of the year. i'm really looking forward to getting on the roads in jan when it'll be 4/5 feet deep. of course i'll die!
foxes or poor people?

#129 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Dec 22 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Headline grabbing rhetoric apart, am I likely to encounter problems M1, M18, A1? Or do I really need to pack snow chains for the tyres?.

I've still managed to get to work on me pushbike if that helps.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#130 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Dec 22 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't explain how bad it was in Basingstoke yesterday - A lad I work with lives in wokingham and slept on our sales floor - there were over a thousand cars abandoned.

I've never seen snow like it I have to say but it just seemed everybody thought at 14:30 that it was time to go home so as not to get snowed in.

Mash tells you how it is in Basingstoke
http://www.thedailym...?-200912222329/

#131 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (voteronniegibbs @ Dec 23 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mash tells you how it is in Basingstoke
http://www.thedailym...?-200912222329/

minus 9 in the car this morning - hardly any chuffer in work
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#132 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

36C (97F) in Melbourne at the moment... and it's just gone 9pm ohmy.gif

Heading up to Brisbane tomorrow for Xmas... gonna be a cool 30C on Xmas Day cool.gif

#133 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (DiH68 @ Dec 23 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
36C (97F) in Melbourne at the moment... and it's just gone 9pm ohmy.gif

Heading up to Brisbane tomorrow for Xmas... gonna be a cool 30C on Xmas Day cool.gif

Now don;t take this the wrong way but..................................

......###### off!!!!

biggrin.gif
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#134 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Dec 23 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now don;t take this the wrong way but..................................

......###### off!!!!

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

#135 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,293 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Dec 22 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im flying home for Christmas to East Midlands on the 24th and driving up to picturesque Fev to treat the better half to a wonderful YOrkshire Christmas.

Headline grabbing rhetoric apart, am I likely to encounter problems M1, M18, A1? Or do I really need to pack snow chains for the tyres? Or stay in Las Palmas (74 this arvo)?

Ta.

What time are you arriving? Could be a bit of snow overnight tonight but motorways should be OK
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#136 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Dec 23 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What time are you arriving? Could be a bit of snow overnight tonight but motorways should be OK

About 6pm. You know what happens, you read a couple of websites and it sounds like the whole country is in an impassable gridlock of ice.

My dad said we should be fine till the bottom of our drive, which is an icy death trap. Ill just leave it on the kerb, it's only a hire car.

All this is assuming the airport's open.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#137 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,937 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Get real-time road reports at FRIXO including live traffic speeds etc

#138 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Dec 23 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
minus 9 in the car this morning - hardly any chuffer in work

Same here in Farnborough (Hampshire). Think lots of people have said stuff it after the last couple of days. Thing is both last week & this I have managed to get here from home (Formby (Merseyside)) & back (though not back yet, that is to come this afternoon, but I'm sure those nice people at Virgin Trains are coping OK) no problem, it's the ones who live close by who seem to struggle.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#139 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Dec 23 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same here in Farnborough (Hampshire). Think lots of people have said stuff it after the last couple of days. Thing is both last week & this I have managed to get here from home (Formby (Merseyside)) & back (though not back yet, that is to come this afternoon, but I'm sure those nice people at Virgin Trains are coping OK) no problem, it's the ones who live close by who seem to struggle.

TO be fair I nearly didn;t come in today. My estate in Hook (Hampshire) hasn't been adopted by the council yet so the roads (downhill roads) are absolutely ridiculous. Getting home tonight will be fun if it doesn;t get above freezing today.

However, the walk down to the Crooked Billet was fine last night!

Posted Image

#140 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Dec 23 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About 6pm. You know what happens, you read a couple of websites and it sounds like the whole country is in an impassable gridlock of ice.

My dad said we should be fine till the bottom of our drive, which is an icy death trap. Ill just leave it on the kerb, it's only a hire car.

All this is assuming the airport's open.

TBH we've had it easy around notts with the snow, v low temps with black ice early morning but the fact the snow's kept away mean the roads are all passable,( just mind that black ice )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users