Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield's new stadium is announced...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Or according to Rodney Walker we are.

http://www.sportingl..._Wakefield.html

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

No thanks Rodney!

#3 lorne mosley.

lorne mosley.
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (gazza77 @ Dec 21 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell 'em to chuff off

#4 Sportbilly

Sportbilly
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

"We're in discussions with Featherstone and we would be delighted if they choose to play some of their bigger fixtures at the new stadium."

didnt realise we were struggling to fit everyone in, in our 'bigger fixtures'......an if anyone who's been in discussions from fev are reading this.......'IF IT AINT AT FEV I AINT INTERESTED'
There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

#5 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,946 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

"We're in discussions with Featherstone and we would be delighted if they choose to play some of their bigger fixtures at the new stadium.""

Why would we want to do that?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#6 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (gazza77 @ Dec 21 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walker claims in the article that they are in discussions with FEV about ground sharing or us playing our "bigger games" at their proposed new ground. This should be a very short discussion, our BOD need to tell him to sling his hook.
I can honestly say if we move to ground share with either Waky or Cas then i'm finished with RL for good.
FEV would die within 5 years and it's merger by stealth.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#7 ABorder

ABorder
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

As far as i'm concerned even if we relocate the ground,even 100yds it will never
be the same,so we might as well ground share.
In fact all 3 local clubs should investigate the possibilities of 1 ground being built for
the use of all.Altough i would suggest Cas are too far down the line for them to consider
that proposal now.
Radical that may seem,we'd get over it.

#8 lorne mosley.

lorne mosley.
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Dec 21 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Walker claims in the article that they are in discussions with FEV about ground sharing or us playing our "bigger games" at their proposed new ground. This should be a very short discussion, our BOD need to tell him to sling his hook.
I can honestly say if we move to ground share with either Waky or Cas then i'm finished with RL for good.
FEV would die within 5 years and it's merger by stealth.

Same here mate, hard as it would be

PS. This fellow has soon appeared back on the scene hasn't he ?, wonder why the WPSBC got rid of him ? oh i remember, he did nowt at all for the future of their game did he ?

Edited by lorne mosley., 21 December 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#9 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (lorne mosley. @ Dec 21 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same here mate, hard as it would be

PS. This fellow has soon appeared back on the scene hasn't he ?, wonder why the WPSBC got rid of him ? oh i remember, he did nowt at all for the future of their game did he ?

Oh the things we know about that man.

#10 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (ABorder @ Dec 21 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as i'm concerned even if we relocate the ground,even 100yds it will never
be the same,so we might as well ground share.
In fact all 3 local clubs should investigate the possibilities of 1 ground being built for
the use of all.Altough i would suggest Cas are too far down the line for them to consider
that proposal now.
Radical that may seem,we'd get over it.

Yoiu don't half talk some ######.

#11 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

I dont know if they are in talks or RODNEY has approached Featherstone Rovers but what is happening with our own plans have they gone now. It will be interesting what the response is from our club on this and our proposed plans

#12 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (jt @ Dec 21 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know if they are in talks or RODNEY has approached Featherstone Rovers but what is happening with our own plans have they gone now. It will be interesting what the response is from our club on this and our proposed plans

The stadium plans have been developing for around a year now and I agree would be interesting to see where we are.
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#13 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

Even as a young lad it was easier for me to travel to Wakefield than Featherstone, but I didn't I would take a bus from Hemsworth to the Travellers which took 40 minutes then , and walk via the path opposite the Junction to the ground. As I became older I would ride my bike leaving it in the back yard of someone living near the ground. When I lived in Coventry I would travel up when I was free to watch the games, even now when it's difficult for me to get about, I still only missed two away games last season ( Workington and Tolouse) I am very, very sure that I am not going to travel to a former pit heap near Rothwell to help swell the coffers of those who think they are better. Luckily it says they are " Hoping" to attract us, no doubt pressure being brought upon us by the district council, well here's my answer.

THE RFL COULDN'T MAKE US MERGE, WE FOLLOWED OUR TEAM AND TOOK ALL THAT CAME OUR WAY, WE ARE NOW GETTING OUT OF THAT DEPRESSION AND GO FORWARD WITH DIGNITY AND EXPECTATION. GROUND SHARE ? IF THEY WANT TO GROUND SHARE, THEY CAN COME TO FEATHERSTONE !!!! but only for their "big" games

Edited by Bob Fowler, 21 December 2009 - 05:21 PM.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#14 ABorder

ABorder
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Dec 21 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yoiu don't half talk some ######.

Yet another great post! lol

#15 Sportbilly

Sportbilly
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (ABorder @ Dec 21 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet another great post! lol

it made more sense than yours
There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

#16 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Of course they would like us to share! We hear reports that Hull FC are struggling to pay the rent for the KC stadium, even with their big crowds, so how are Wakey going to manage? The rent on a multi-million pound stadium should be huge to a sole tennant, unless they get a subsidy from the council, but why should Featherstone ratepayers pay for this? The rent should be fair and appropriate to the cost of the stadium otherwise the council would be showing favouritism.
With a relocation to Stanley their crowds would need to increase, but they are more likely to dip! I foresee that if they get their new stadium it won't be long before they get the begging bowl out to ask the council to prop them up. If Fev shared with them it would only help save Wakey to our own detriment.

Edited by Steve Slater, 21 December 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

may i respectfully request thatl sir Rodney address all ground sharing enquiries to the following newly formed group. the Fundamentally Unofficial Committee of Knights of the Order Featherstone Faithful. i am sure an answer will be forthcoming.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#18 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

a most suitable organisation oldrover.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Bob Fowler @ Dec 21 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even as a young lad it was easier for me to travel to Wakefield than Featherstone, but I didn't I would take a bus from Hemsworth to the Travellers which took 40 minutes then , and walk via the path opposite the Junction to the ground. As I became older I would ride my bike leaving it in the back yard of someone living near the ground. When I lived in Coventry I would travel up when I was free to watch the games, even now when it's difficult for me to get about, I still only missed two away games last season ( Workington and Tolouse) I am very, very sure that I am not going to travel to a former pit heap near Rothwell to help swell the coffers of those who think they are better. Luckily it says they are " Hoping" to attract us, no doubt pressure being brought upon us by the district council, well here's my answer.

THE RFL COULDN'T MAKE US MERGE, WE FOLLOWED OUR TEAM AND TOOK ALL THAT CAME OUR WAY, WE ARE NOW GETTING OUT OF THAT DEPRESSION AND GO FORWARD WITH DIGNITY AND EXPECTATION. GROUND SHARE ? IF THEY WANT TO GROUND SHARE, THEY CAN COME TO FEATHERSTONE !!!! but only for their "big" games

Same here Bob. I was born in Fev. The job took me to Bramley and I lived there. I used to travel for every home game and most of away. I had a BSA bantam 125cc. Headingley was 5 minutes away on a 44 bus. I only went when Rovers were playing there. One of my lasting memories was Steve Evans tearing them to bits at Headingley from stand off. Atkinson and Smioth their wingers were playing and never got near him. I also will only go to PO Road, or the near vicinity. We may move the pitch a bit to fit our plans in but same club same set up. There has been too much hard work to throw it all away now.

#20 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

My address is Sharlston near Wakefield but as a fourteen year old I chose to follow Fev. The under dog with a great cup fighting spirit. Every time I go to Fev I can smell Rugby League and I breathe it into my lungs. The day we uproot to another town will be the last time I would watch Rovers. Within time IT would be the death knell of the club as its present identity would soon evaporate. ITS MERGERS BY ANOTHER NAME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users