Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Capacity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 POR

POR
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Whats the official capacity of the ground? The reason I ask is on a preview of super duper league it gave information on all teams

Wakefield a ground with smaller stands and less terracing 11000 and simlarly the other lot 11500 both of which I think may be stretching the truth a liitle bit

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

I would have thought the stand/terrace at Wakey, and the stands at Cas are larger than ours! Might not be in as good nick like, but I believe they are much larger.

There terrace behind the sticks at Cas is equally much larger than either one of ours by area and by capacity. Even the one Terrace at Wakey is greater than the railway end by some!!

I think ours capacity is currently set around 6700. The only time we've got near it lately was the opener v cas about 4 years back when we got around 6300 in.

Edited by Robin Evans, 27 January 2010 - 12:44 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 FEV-KT87

FEV-KT87
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

if thats the case then the new stadium will be smaller than POR......
YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

#4 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

Thought it was more than that, but you have to insure it at what you declare so as we are in no fear of needing more, declared less and saved money.

On the other hand, I could just be living in la la land again and spouting rubbish huh.gif
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#5 snake1985

snake1985
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia....herstone_Rovers

according to wikipedia its 6750
Posted Image

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

http://www.worldstad...re_humber.shtml

Slightly more according to this site

#7 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

The current capacity is adequate for our current status and it would be folly to increase it without being certain it would be needed.
What is definitely needed is a common sense approach from the RFL. I cannot see the reason why a club should be refused a franchise if they have architects plans, builders quotes with penalty clauses if they fail to complete before the beginning of a season, and proof of funding. That way no club would waste millions on an unsuccesful franchise bid.
If Rovers' stadium plans were to fall by the wayside I would have thought that minimum capacity requirements could be achieved relatively cheaply by building up the banking at the railway end (if this form of terracing is still allowed).
To be completely honest, though, I think that minimum capacity requirements of over 11,000 are nothing more than delusions of grandeur. The only time Wakey would come anywhere near 3/4 of that figure is with massive away support. If any club didn't have enough capacity to accomodate the travelling away supporters they could be guaranteed entrance by making the game all-ticket with first priority going to the away fans (after season ticket holders of course).

#8 andyc

andyc
  • Coach
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

I think you the main reason for the low amount is due to the crush barrier being removed several years ago.If these were replaced i think the crowds could be a lot bigger ?
WatchED Rovers since 74-75 seasons,as mad about rovers 35 years on(the wife thinks i,m mad).
ROVERS ROVERS

#9 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

My view is that it would be better to have 6700 packed into P..O.R. for a SL fixture than 6700 in a stadium that holds 12000, it would be a better atmosphere.
SKy would love the buzz words, 'capacity attendance', 'sell out', 'packed in like sardines for this important fixture'.
At least their cameras could pan anywhere and not see empty terracing or seats which is what they would get at some SL grounds now if they showed the whole stadium and not just edit to show one section of fans..

#10 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (andyc @ Jan 27 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you the main reason for the low amount is due to the crush barrier being removed several years ago.If these were replaced i think the crowds could be a lot bigger ?

I can see your point but the club wouldn't get a licence and the Health and Safety guys would get a coronary
To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users