Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev v Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (martyb62 @ Feb 7 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beg to differ. We were beaten by a team who came with the intention of unsettling us by ANY means possible, and we, rather stupidly fell for it. Whether that made you the BETTER team on the day remains to be seen. Anyway, tomorrow's another day, and if you win fairly and squarely, I'll be the first to congratulate you. There you go, and all said without the need for petty minded name calling. laugh.gif

You were however beaten! Yes we did unsettle you and it was a pleasure to see! That is what Rugby League is all about it's not just the skill factor it's about coping under pressure and we applied the pressure and you guys weren't able to cope with it! If we beat you in the same manner today i wont be dissapointed! It was edge of the seat entertainment!

#22 matthew parkin

matthew parkin
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Cant wait to get back down to POR or largefellas whatever its called

Rovers 28 Sheffield 12

Attendance 1534

MOM Kain

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Phil Loxton @ Feb 7 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this tongue in cheek Griff because the general thinking is that the RFL are hell bent in helping the so called expansion clubs. However for one I have never recognised Sheffield has such a team so welcome to the fold.lol

Look no further than last week's match at Wrexham. 6-6 with a few minutes to go then - hey presto - a few iffy decisions give Leeds a comfortable landslide victory.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 martyb62

martyb62
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 7 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You were however beaten! Yes we did unsettle you and it was a pleasure to see! That is what Rugby League is all about it's not just the skill factor it's about coping under pressure and we applied the pressure and you guys weren't able to cope with it! If we beat you in the same manner today i wont be dissapointed! It was edge of the seat entertainment!

What about if we used the same tactics and beat you, would you be happy with that? Anyway, moving on, I thought today's match was very entertaining. We weren't at the races for the first 15 minutes, and were lucky to stick with you. I thought overall, Featherstone were the better team today, and should realy have won. You had three, possibly four, tries disallowed for being held up over the line, missed three kicks at goal and missed a pretty straight forward drop goal attempt. We got close to the line three times and bombed the chance. The good thing from our point of view is that we played a quite mediocre game and still got a draw. I think both teams will do well this season and hopefully get into the play offs again. We owe you one. biggrin.gif

#25 Rovers007

Rovers007
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (martyb62 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about if we used the same tactics and beat you, would you be happy with that? Anyway, moving on, I thought today's match was very entertaining. We weren't at the races for the first 15 minutes, and were lucky to stick with you. I thought overall, Featherstone were the better team today, and should realy have won. You had three, possibly four, tries disallowed for being held up over the line, missed three kicks at goal and missed a pretty straight forward drop goal attempt. We got close to the line three times and bombed the chance. The good thing from our point of view is that we played a quite mediocre game and still got a draw. I think both teams will do well this season and hopefully get into the play offs again. We owe you one. biggrin.gif

cant disagree with this mate..looking forward to the bramall lane trip....

#26 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Nothing ever changes with Sheffield under Aston, very clever coach and frustrates the opposition, it was nice to do the dirty on them for the first time in a long time regarding the play offs.

As for the game, bored at my mind for most of it.

On a funny note, I love hearing fans telling the ref whats what and glancing at the touch judge with a massive grin on his face!
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#27 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (martyb62 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about if we used the same tactics and beat you, would you be happy with that?

It's part of the game thats all, no one was seriously injured, it was just unsettling tactics and most teams use it at some point, it was also a do or die playoff game!!.
I thought we lost the game ourselves today, we allowed you too many piggybacks upfield, we also failed to go for a kick under the sticks in the first half when we were 8- 12 down which proved costly in the end. Scrappy game with too much whistel from a pedantic ref.

#28 martyb62

martyb62
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 7 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's part of the game thats all, no one was seriously injured, it was just unsettling tactics and most teams use it at some point, it was also a do or die playoff game!!.
I thought we lost the game ourselves today, we allowed you too many piggybacks upfield, we also failed to go for a kick under the sticks in the first half when we were 8- 12 down which proved costly in the end. Scrappy game with too much whistel from a pedantic ref.

I thought both teams were guilty of too much scrappy play, but as you say, Ronnie didn't help by being too pedantic. Liam Welham played very well for your lot, he's going to be a difficult player to keep hold of for the opposition. Our forwards went quite well, one they got going but some of the backs struggled. Roll on the next meeting. laugh.gif

#29 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

Good analysis mart62. I think your right about Welham he runs very good lines both as receiver and dummy runner, it was his dummy run that created the try for steel. He was man of the match for me, followed by Tommy Saxton who got through a heap of work and looked dangerous.

All in all a pretty good first competitive run out for both teams, a lot of positives to take from the game for both coaches, as well as a few things to work on. Roll on the rest of the season.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#30 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

Very disappointed with the result yesterday. Ronnie wasn't to blame for us failing to win, it was the decision making on the field by our own team. Twice in the first half we had an overlap (or two) on the left side with the try line beckoning and the pass wasn't made. In the second half when we had the 6 point lead we had a couple of kickable penalties which we didn't take and should have gone for the drop goal earlier just in case we missed the first attempt.
When I got in the car I listened to a bit of the Chelsea-Arsenal game and thought we were pretty much like Arsenal yesterday. Looked good but lacked that killer finish. I know there's plenty of time but if we are to do well this season we should be finishing teams off.
Credit to Sheffield they stuck in there and never gave up.

#31 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,134 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Phil Stone @ Feb 8 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very disappointed with the result yesterday. Ronnie wasn't to blame for us failing to win, it was the decision making on the field by our own team. Twice in the first half we had an overlap (or two) on the left side with the try line beckoning and the pass wasn't made. In the second half when we had the 6 point lead we had a couple of kickable penalties which we didn't take and should have gone for the drop goal earlier just in case we missed the first attempt.
When I got in the car I listened to a bit of the Chelsea-Arsenal game and thought we were pretty much like Arsenal yesterday. Looked good but lacked that killer finish. I know there's plenty of time but if we are to do well this season we should be finishing teams off.
Credit to Sheffield they stuck in there and never gave up.

I couldn't go because we had visitors sad.gif But at least it sound better than the first home performance v Dewsbury last season - when we were dreadful. (they were good mind)
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#32 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (elppaxr2i @ Feb 6 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sheff will bring bag all fans like usual

Fev to win Att 1163

not bad, only 15 off happy.gif

#33 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Our discipline especially in the second half was appalling, We gave 13 penalties away and from where i was stood they all looked justified. The annoying thing was they were all for petty little things. All the pressure we had in the second half and on several occasions we spoilt it all by giving needless penalties away. We were our own worst enemies. I still think we had enough ball near their line to have won the game. A little more composure is all that was missing.
Fair play to Aston, he has got himself another side that are going to be difficult to beat. They have plenty of grafters in the side and just enough quality to make them dangerous. He gives them a game plan and the players stick to it religiously. Think they will pick up plenty of bonus points again and a top six for them.
For us, cut out the stupid penalties, don't panic and build pressure. As Sheff proved the points will come.
Thought Kain was our MOM, good to see his kicking game improving. Morrison looks a right handful, great to see Field back. I'm still OPTIMISTIC n that's not like me.
As for the PNG's, you will probably find them in the vicinity of Laines fish n chip shop. biggrin.gif
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#34 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Feb 8 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our discipline especially in the second half was appalling, We gave 13 penalties away and from where i was stood they all looked justified. The annoying thing was they were all for petty little things. All the pressure we had in the second half and on several occasions we spoilt it all by giving needless penalties away. We were our own worst enemies. I still think we had enough ball near their line to have won the game. A little more composure is all that was missing.
Fair play to Aston, he has got himself another side that are going to be difficult to beat. They have plenty of grafters in the side and just enough quality to make them dangerous. He gives them a game plan and the players stick to it religiously. Think they will pick up plenty of bonus points again and a top six for them.
For us, cut out the stupid penalties, don't panic and build pressure. As Sheff proved the points will come.
Thought Kain was our MOM, good to see his kicking game improving. Morrison looks a right handful, great to see Field back. I'm still OPTIMISTIC n that's not like me.
As for the PNG's, you will probably find them in the vicinity of Laines fish n chip shop. biggrin.gif

nail 'ont head dave.disipline going to be a prob AGAIN.3 SUCCESIVE PENALTIES IN YOUR'E OWN 25 WITH 3 MINS LEFT TELLS ITS OWN STORY.nowt gained,tons of effort through thw window.we need to do Liegh for breathing space. dry.gif

#35 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (GAZ1983 @ Feb 8 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nail 'ont head dave.disipline going to be a prob AGAIN.3 SUCCESIVE PENALTIES IN YOUR'E OWN 25 WITH 3 MINS LEFT TELLS ITS OWN STORY.nowt gained,tons of effort through thw window.we need to do Liegh for breathing space. dry.gif

Spot on Gaz, we need to give it to Leigh big style next week or we are out.

#36 rover n out

rover n out
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Feb 8 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spot on Gaz, we need to give it to Leigh big style next week or we are out.

how do you work that out ?

Twenty minutes before a gig, he dons the suit and walks out as though he's on his way to a caning from the headmaster, Except its Angus that does the whipping!!

#37 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (rover n out @ Feb 8 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we lose to Leigh i believe we would have to win our 2 remaining games by scores that i'm not sure we are capable of. Be pleased to be wrong though.

#38 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (rover n out @ Feb 8 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hunslet have one big win under thier belt.they'll beat oldham next sun.fax will slaughter skolars.eagles will do york.we need to win mate he's right.won't look good for the ambitions if we don't make the quarters im afraid.negative?..no..realistic?...yep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users