Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First real match

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (E.S.O @ Feb 7 2010, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Performance was average at best, were probably lucky to scrape a draw but at least we kept going until the end. Team was largely experimental, we're obviously still waiting for a couple of our best players to arrive. The kicking game in particular today was really off, needs working on for the start of the league season. Away support was incredibly disappointing today, I know it was cold and no one really cares about this competition but surely we should be able to take more fans than we did for what is a really short journey.

Hopefully the last minute try to snatch a draw should give us some momentum into next week's game.

Oh and as for the ref "being on our side" get a grip, I thought the ref actually had a decent game today, if not a little pedantic for both sides. Yes Mitch did a spear tackle, but he called it! And placed him on report, which was probably the correct decision. The high tackle right at the death just before we scored on Alex Rowe was 10x worse but was only punished with a penalty. Quit munching the sour grapes and admit you didn't win because you didn't kick enough goals, nothing to do with the referee.

Are you sure you want to post this comment in Red??? I cannot agree that anyone can be guilty of a spear tackle when they are always in front of the player advancing on then, my view of said incident was that the player did a handstand as he was tackled, it looked bad but was not malicious. I'd be amazed if Mitch was penalised for this spearing accusation.......
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#22 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Ronnie wasn't to blame for Fev not winning. Twice in the first half we had players unmarked out on our left and for some strange reason didn't pass the ball to them, and that was very close to your line where had we passed we would have scored.In the second half when up by 6 we should have gone for goal when awarded penalties to extend the lead but didn't and had earlier opportunities to get a drop goal in what was a close match.
We should have won but didn't so well done Sheffield for hanging in there right to the end.
Oh, and I didn't think it was a bad tempered game, the spear tackle was accidental and the head high at the end by Tonks was a lazy tackle and nobody really reacted which was good to see.

#23 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

what a good constructive posting.... looking forward to seeing it on dvd

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#24 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

Rovers should of won the game the reason they didnt and drew are down to 3 little incidents in my opinion, minor little things that cost games. 1st one was when we got penalised for not playing the ball correctly when we were in a good attacking position shocking mistake, 2nd Jack Lee broke through with people on his side he decided to go himself fair enough then when tackled got a rush of blood and flipped out a pass, Sheffield regathered, had he taken the tackle with 3 left who knows, not calling Jack because he always gives his best, 3rd and last letting you score at the death straight from acting half, shocking school boy error to let that happen.

#25 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Eagletarian @ Feb 7 2010, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you sure you want to post this comment in Red??? I cannot agree that anyone can be guilty of a spear tackle when they are always in front of the player advancing on then, my view of said incident was that the player did a handstand as he was tackled, it looked bad but was not malicious. I'd be amazed if Mitch was penalised for this spearing accusation.......

It wasn't at all malicious, me and my Dad both said we'd be surprised if any further action was taken, I think it was a spear tackle though.

QUOTE (Phil Stone @ Feb 8 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ronnie wasn't to blame for Fev not winning. Twice in the first half we had players unmarked out on our left and for some strange reason didn't pass the ball to them, and that was very close to your line where had we passed we would have scored.In the second half when up by 6 we should have gone for goal when awarded penalties to extend the lead but didn't and had earlier opportunities to get a drop goal in what was a close match.
We should have won but didn't so well done Sheffield for hanging in there right to the end.
Oh, and I didn't think it was a bad tempered game, the spear tackle was accidental and the head high at the end by Tonks was a lazy tackle and nobody really reacted which was good to see.

Excellent post, someone with a bit of sense!

Posted Image

#26 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Where was Menzie on Sunday ?

#27 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

He's not arrived yet, couple of problems, he's on his way though.

Posted Image

#28 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hopefully not before Sunday !! biggrin.gif

#29 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (andyacko @ Feb 9 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully not before Sunday !! biggrin.gif

Hmm, touch and go as I understand, depends how quickly they can sort it out.

Best not say anymore as Eagleraider will turn all nasty again.

Posted Image

#30 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (E.S.O @ Feb 9 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, touch and go as I understand, depends how quickly they can sort it out.

Best not say anymore as Eagleraider will turn all nasty again.

Sheffield Star.....

Cold welcome for Samoan ace but Misi is warming to his Eagles adventure

Published Date: 09 February 2010
By James Collins
Rugby League

NEW signing Samoan international Misi Taulapapa will train with the squad at Sheffield Eagles for the first time tonight.
The former Cronulla Sharks winger watched the Eagles in action in the 18-18 draw at Featherstone Rovers on Sunday.
"The game wasn't as fast as I expected but it's very aggressive and physical - I think I'll like it," he said as he shivered in the cold during his first experience of 'summer rugby'.
Taulapapa was well wrapped up in a couple of tracksuits against the icy cold as he adjusted to life in the UK after arriving from the Australian sunshine less than 24 hours before.
Coach Mark Aston hopes to give the 28-year-old a debut in the Northern Rail Cup group B game against York Knights at Don Valley on Sunday.
"If Misi is looking comfortable we will get him in against York. Having a player who has made 40-plus appearances in the NRL is exciting," he said,
"You have to give a new player the opportunity to show just where they are in match readiness - we'll see at training."
For Taulapapa it was the end of a frustrating couple of weeks as he waited for a UK entry visa then faced last-minute flight delays.
He said: "I'm really excited about coming to the UK. I've been away from the game for a time and it's good to get over here finally. It'll be good to meet the team and have a chance to play."
Aston added: "Misi has been training in Australia - he hasn't been doing the intense training we have for the last couple of months, but he's been training on his own and playing quite a lot of touch rugby. His fitness should be fine, but that's not like having game time."
Centre Menzie Yere will re-join the Eagles this week - over a month after he was due to report for pre-season training.
Winger Danny Mills has also come through a hernia operation with no problems.
"Things are starting to fall into place now," said Aston. "Menzie will be back and Danny Mills is six weeks away from a return."

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#31 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

We were exposed on our left side defence against Featherstone. With Yere and Talapapa in the side we should be a lot stronger in defence and will certainly give the opposition something to think about as well.

There's certainly some competition for wing positions. Especially if the ex-SL winger is signed.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#32 Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Early contender for Eagles line of the year:

Random Loud Voice in the "Main Stand":
Gerrrrrremmmmmm on bl**dy side!

ESO:
Christ that's me dad!
laugh.gif

2010 - Where it all begins again......

#33 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Basil Exposition @ Feb 10 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESO:
Christ that's me dad!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Posted Image

#34 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Feb 10 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were exposed on our left side defence against Featherstone. With Yere and Talapapa in the side we should be a lot stronger in defence and will certainly give the opposition something to think about as well.

There's certainly some competition for wing positions. Especially if the ex-SL winger is signed.

Featherstone off side that can't be right he must be blind

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Basil Exposition @ Feb 10 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESO:
Christ that's me dad!
laugh.gif

Aye, he was sat in front of us. dry.gif
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#36 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Griff @ Feb 11 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye, he was sat in front of us. dry.gif

Sorry blush.gif wink.gif

Posted Image

#37 aquilla

aquilla
  • Coach
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

Don't be sorry for what your parents do - it will come back to haunt you.

It's their way of getting their own back from when we were kids and caused them grief biggrin.gif
There are two rules for success:
1.) Don't tell all you know.

#38 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

ESO was on form to be fair-came out with a good line about the rugby ball going into someone's back yard behind the goal and therefore being the most expensive thing about the house!
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#39 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (brummie-eagle @ Feb 11 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ESO was on form to be fair-came out with a good line about the rugby ball going into someone's back yard behind the goal and therefore being the most expensive thing about the house!

cool.gif

Posted Image

#40 EAGLEBLADE

EAGLEBLADE
  • Coach
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

laugh.gif laugh.gif It's not likely to go ebay just yet,There still working on the internet conncetion round those parts.
Challenge Cup Winners 1998
Division Two Champions 1991-92, 2003
Second Division/Divisional Premiership Winner
1988-89,1991-92
Yorkshire Cup Finalists 1992-93
NL2 Grand Finalists 2003
Northern Ford Premiership Club of the Year 2001
NL2 Play-off winners 2006
South Yorkshire Cup Winners 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users