Increasing the crowds

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SamG

SamG
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

From reading the forum, we're all not expecting the crowd to be any more than 1000 tomorrow...and personallly I'm not optimistic at the moment on increasing last years crowds.

Obviously, the two main ways are out of our hands as fans, those being winning excitingly every week, or lowering prices, but have we any idea's of any other ways......

Anyone any idea's no matter how stupid they might sound.

A few of mine, bearing in mind the lateness of the hour, and the fact they may be alcohol fuelled are...

1) Attract more away fans, by trying to speak to local hotels (Premier Inn's/ Kings Croft etc) by doing Sat night deals including ticket costs

2) Selling match tickets at Bigfellas on Fri/Sat night at reduced costs...I'm still not convinced that they are the right sponsors for a family club, but while they're paying the sponsorship, lets try and use them too

3) playing at a different time.....Premier League/Super league matches being played at the same time reduce people wanting to come...try Fri/Sat/Sun evenings as a one off to see if that helps

4) Reduced ticket prices for season ticket holders of other local clubs......Wakey, Leeds, even that team from the other side of the M62....

5) We got a lot of publicity from Chris Moyles, why not try other celebrities to raise the profile of the club....could we get Simon Cowell to wear a Rovers shirt on X Factor?

Yes, some of these ideas may sound stupid, but a stupid idea is better than none......anyone else got any?

#2 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:46 AM

Biggest failing this year is not allowing under 16s in for free. They are our future. SIMPLES. Another good idea on another thread is to have a match advertisemet that can be down loaded so we can print it off and display at work or our local. We also need to keep the advertising boards up to date which is a constant failing. Obviously a better home form this season would also help.
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#3 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

Half price entry to all season ticket holders from clubs not involved in the game.
Some will complain and say we are undervaluing our product or that the deal should be reciprical but it is income and at the moment we can't turn it down.
How about a discount for football season ticket holders too? Leeds, Barnsley, Doncaster.

#4 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

The club are making a big push to get fans there for the Batley game with the family tickets etc: i know thousands will be posted all over the place before the game next week. I think the best thing forum users can do is try to get as many as you can x or new supporters to the game.

#5 F.Slater

F.Slater
  • Coach
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

You are right in what you say SamG "Yes, some of these ideas may sound stupid, but a stupid idea is better than none......anyone else got any"

But and it is a big but - the product on the field has to be right, and I am not just talking about Rovers but Championship Rugby in General.

As a lot of you know I haven't been many games at the Rovers since taking the pub, My most recent game being Sheffield at Home and before that I think it was Halifax last season.

And in my humble opinion the general standard of Rugby has declined from what it was even 2 or 3 years ago. I have watched York a couple of times plus matches on TV and it is the same throughout the leagues. I dont know what the answer is but the gap between the SL and Championship standards is getting wider by the season.

Maybe it is just because I havent seen many games but that is what it looks like to me anyway !!
Posted Image

#6 Rovers2010

Rovers2010
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

Give me a Championship game over Super League any day! Five drives and High Kick to the corner, simple. Sky coverage is poor, or at least Eddie & Stevo are and the sound mic at the game only picks up the ref telling the players when they can and cant move with no crowd atmosphere.

#7 F.Slater

F.Slater
  • Coach
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Rovers2010 @ Feb 20 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give me a Championship game over Super League any day! Five drives and High Kick to the corner, simple. Sky coverage is poor, or at least Eddie & Stevo are and the sound mic at the game only picks up the ref telling the players when they can and cant move with no crowd atmosphere.

I agree that eddie and Stevo or at least stevo is poor but the fact in my opinion is that the championship standard has declined
Posted Image

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (F.Slater @ Feb 20 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that eddie and Stevo or at least stevo is poor but the fact in my opinion is that the championship standard has declined

Cannot answer whether the championship standard has declined, buthave to say that the excitement level last year was the highest I can ever remember. Going to most matches meant not knowing who might win, which surely is exciting in itself.

To me, the Championship is what real RL is all about. I believe that SL is turning into a sterile product played by super fit giants along the lines of American Football, all set plays and territory.

#9 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Rovers2010 @ Feb 20 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've covered two Super League games this season and they've been more exciting than 3/4 of Featherstone games.

A new supporter will go and watch a local Super League team over than Fev, unless there family members are fev fans.
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#10 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Chris Taylor @ Feb 20 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've covered two Super League games this season and they've been more exciting than 3/4 of Featherstone games.

A new supporter will go and watch a local Super League team over than Fev, unless there family members are fev fans.

were they more exciting because of the atmosphere created by larger crowds?
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#11 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Chris Taylor @ Feb 20 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alaways 1 to promote his own team over the competition rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#12 rover n out

rover n out
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (sidnee @ Feb 20 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alaways 1 to promote his own team over the competition rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

not too bad for someone whose eyeball is looking into camera lens

Twenty minutes before a gig, he dons the suit and walks out as though he's on his way to a caning from the headmaster, Except its Angus that does the whipping!!

#13 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

The standard of rugby was much better and far more entertaining, yes the atmosphere was much better, but there just felt a massive buzz around the grounds, just like what I felt in the play offs. Won't stop me cheering on Fev though, will be there at every game, win lose or draw.

If you had the chance to shoot for the press at a super league for your own company, would you reject it?

To increase the crowds, they have done a fair bit in recent years, but nothing has got them in, even after we got promoted. Got to feel sorry for the people who pump serious cash into the club to keep it a float.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#14 burkyrover

burkyrover
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

The only thing that will get the stay aways to come back is success on the field. If we were knocking on the door of super-league there would be a buzz around the local area, people would be talking about it at work and coming to see what the fuss was about. Its ok slagging off s/l but its a fact that if we don't aspire to break in to it the crowds will remain under 2000 and as a result we cant afford top players. I still go every week and enjoy it but nothing i see compares to the eighties/early nineties when we were competing with the best. We have been left behind and are seen as poor cousins of C*s and Wakey. People say the RL don't want Fev in super-league, well as we are at the moment i would agree with that but if we were winning the trains cup and finishing top of the table year after year they could not keep us out for long. Seems like a chicken and egg situation because unless we get some major backing i don't see how we can assemble a squad capable of this.

#15 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

I may be going against the grain here but I think the championship has improved. The Sky games last year outstripped anything that super league had to offer for excitement. The trouble is I think the game is different Someone previous describes Super League as sterile and that is just what it is. Its brute force and a lot of skill as gone out of the game due mainly to over-training. The players are bigger and more physical and they no longer have to rely on skill. In the part-time leagues lower down it is just the opposite some of the skills of yesteryear are still evident. Last seasons play off semi final at Halifax had everything. Frequent mistakes equalled by the fluent skills by both sides. Give me the championship any time.

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

The Championship was a great competition last year. Just about every week, something happened which you wouldn't have tipped and there were only four wins between toip and next to bottom.

Sure, the standard of rugby wasn't as high, technically, as in SuperLeague, but mistakes create their own excitement.

I agree with Sidnee that the SuperLeague seems more exciting because the crowds are bigger.

What to do about it ? Probably the clubs need to work together better. We're not really competing for each other's potential crowds and it's in everyone's interest that crowds grow. Maybe the first step is for the clubs to accept there's a problem and to go back to first principles to see what can be done in terms of mutual trading.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Phil Loxton @ Feb 20 2010, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may be going against the grain here but I think the championship has improved. The Sky games last year outstripped anything that super league had to offer for excitement. The trouble is I think the game is different Someone previous describes Super League as sterile and that is just what it is. Its brute force and a lot of skill as gone out of the game due mainly to over-training. The players are bigger and more physical and they no longer have to rely on skill. In the part-time leagues lower down it is just the opposite some of the skills of yesteryear are still evident. Last seasons play off semi final at Halifax had everything. Frequent mistakes equalled by the fluent skills by both sides. Give me the championship any time.

I enjoy the championship games but there's no way super league isn't as skillfull. Don't be ridiculous, they are far more skillfull aswell as more physical!!

#18 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Rarefrith @ Feb 20 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoy the championship games but there's no way super league isn't as skillfull. Don't be ridiculous, they are far more skillfull aswell as more physical!!

Sorry I obviously forgot to say "IN MY OPINION"

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I can't think of many players in our division who could have made the pass Menzies threw out to Sherriffe last night. mellow.gif

Edited by Griff, 20 February 2010 - 07:30 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Griff @ Feb 20 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't think of many players in our division who could have made the pass Menzies threw out to Sherriffe last night. mellow.gif

Watched Warrington v Wigan on the telly. It was a superb game. Exciting and skilful. But to go back to the original question. Every body has ideas but the way to market a product is to sell the customers what they want not what you would like to sell. Has anybody evcer asked the youngsters of the area what they would like? If we diversified and included their requests into the day then they would come. The love of the game should follow. But first of all it is bums on seats. Ask then incorporate. Lowering prices to attract people who have other interests is not the way. Find out what those interests are firstly and include them in your programme of events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users