Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Increasing the crowds

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Everone appears to have forgotten that we, especially in this area, are in the depths of, not according to Mandleson, a recession. Money is tight for many folks and for some, maybe it is a choice between spending £20/30 at a rugby match or paying a household bill.
Every club is being affected, even hallowed football and until we see a better financial climate, I think that we will struggle.

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

There's only so much you can do to help. It still costs (pretty much) the same to run clubs.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#23 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (F.Slater @ Feb 20 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in my humble opinion the general standard of Rugby has declined from what it was even 2 or 3 years ago. I have watched York a couple of times plus matches on TV and it is the same throughout the leagues. I dont know what the answer is but the gap between the SL and Championship standards is getting wider by the season.

Maybe it is just because I havent seen many games but that is what it looks like to me anyway !!

I have to disagree slightly Bro.
Halifax showed the way early on last season when they almost beat Cas in the Cup. They WERE the best side by a country mile back then, but Barrow, Widnes and Rovers stepped up a gear to make it a great competition. When Rovers beat Fax at the Shay they could have kicked on and topped the league, but the following week they were awful against Toulouse and struggled for consistency until Harris returned from injury. Where we did fall short of Super League last season is that many matches were decided by injuries and suspensions to influential players.
As far as this season goes, I feel the standard is poor due to lack of preparation and won't peak until this foul weather is long behind us. The schoolboy errors you saw against Sheffield, such as all the daft penalties conceded can't be easily rectified until we get some games in.
As far as Rovers crowds go, every great win seems to be followed by a stinker, and when stay-aways return in hope they are disappointed. What Rovers need above anything else to improve crowds is consistency, especially at home.

#24 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

IN MY OPINION :- The Super League and Championships are two entirely different animals. It would be daft to expect that a Super League side would be inferior to a Championship side over a season, not just a one off game. However, the championship is a vibrant competition with more teams becoming competitive each season, I only hope this is not at the expense of putting clubs in the Red. Unpredictable results and in some cases welcome unexpected victories. All on the back of good hard working semi pros ( in most cases) The thing I am not too sure about though are dual registrations and the implications of the long term ramifications where Super League clubs use Championship clubs a sfeeders. I know onlt three players from any club can go to another club, but who knows how it will pan out if a club with money worries are asked to use a Super League starlet for a while, would you turn them down ?

I do not watch much Super League due to not subscribing to Mr. Murdoch and crew, but I see enough to make me glad I support Rovers and that is all that matters to me.

Edited by Bob Fowler, 21 February 2010 - 01:53 PM.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#25 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

Well said !! cool.gif

#26 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

I agree the performances have to be consistent and we need a winning side to attract a bigger gate but hasnt anyone else got any ideas for the club to try?
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#27 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

I think getting more females involved at all levels of the club, Board room down, would be an advantage. I think with the right match day packages, special events etc, the club could attract more female supporters. Im thinking of the twenty to thirty somethings who like to go to events in groups.

Another suggestion would be to employ people on a commission basis to sell tickets and season ticket.

Also canvassing business to buy season tickets to use as incentives for staff. A lot of sales led businesses give prizes to sales teams for good weekly, daily figures.

I think one of our most under used assets are the players themselves. I know many work, but I would like to see more promotion work done by the players. The PNG lads for example accompanied by a member of the publicity team giving out flyers with discounts around Pontefract, Exscape, and generally trying to engage with the public.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#28 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

I think getting more females involved at all levels of the club, Board room down, would be an advantage. I think with the right match day packages, special events etc, the club could attract more female supporters. Im thinking of the twenty to thirty somethings who like to go to events in groups.

Another suggestion would be to employ people on a commission basis to sell tickets and season ticket.

Also canvassing business to buy season tickets to use as incentives for staff. A lot of sales led businesses give prizes to sales teams for good weekly, daily figures.

I think one of our most under used assets are the players themselves. I know many work, but I would like to see more promotion work done by the players. The PNG lads for example accompanied by a member of the publicity team giving out flyers with discounts around Pontefract, Exscape, and generally trying to engage with the public.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#29 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

The team just need to be more consistant and the fans will come, we always seem to start with a few howlers which puts people off.
All a fan needs is the knowledge that his team will perform for him and lay their bodies on the line week in week out, it's all a matter of trust.
Win lose or draw if the team play with heart and passion people will come and watch.

I don't see how more females will help, unless they are drop dead gorgeous over 18 and dancing on the pitch at half time!

Edited by Mick H, 22 February 2010 - 10:02 AM.

#30 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 22 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see how more females will help, unless they are drop dead gorgeous over 18 and dancing on the pitch at half time!

For one they have disposable income, which they seem to like spending( sorry for generalsiation). They also offer a different take on things to men, and perhaps at say board or level just might have some creative ideas that us men may never have thought of.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#31 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 22 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The team just need to be more consistant and the fans will come, we always seem to start with a few howlers which puts people off.
All a fan needs is the knowledge that his team will perform for him and lay their bodies on the line week in week out, it's all a matter of trust.
Win lose or draw if the team play with heart and passion people will come and watch.

What about a couple of topless bartenders in the clubhouse like we have in the blue lagoon

#32 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

Success, entertainment, thrills and excitement will bring back most of the missing long-term fans, and take the attendance up around the 2000 mark. After that it gets hard. A dozen new supporters every match - a very ambitious target for a small town team - increases the attendance by less than 200 in a year. A long term strategy is needed, along with match by match efforts.

A child in for free with every adult, a turnstile set up for such, could be a worthwhile endeavour. There could be kids who encourage a parent along, and parents who encourage a child along. And every new customer is a valuable resource to the club, and should be treated as such. Seven new kids will one day, as adults, be worth at least £1000 per year to the club.

As an idea, why not have each new supporter - if they wish - "register" once inside the ground and be welcomed by name over the loudspeaker system, made instantly to feel part of the club? It would be hard for them not to turn up next time after that.

#33 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (petesmithfan @ Feb 22 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For one they have disposable income, which they seem to like spending( sorry for generalsiation). They also offer a different take on things to men, and perhaps at say board or level just might have some creative ideas that us men may never have thought of.

They certainly have a different take on things thats for sure! It's the only lads day out I have these days so the last thing i want to do is listen to loads of women talking about shoes, makeup and soft furnishings whilst im trying to enjoy myself! Bless em!! and who's going to get their husbands dinner ready for when they get in after the match if they are serving beer topless behind a bar all day?? Doh

This is just tongue in cheek btw! as I personally think ladies do have a lot to offer the game. I have worked with many CEO's over the years who happen to be female and they do an excellent job.

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 22 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.... and who's going to get their husbands dinner ready for when they get in after the match if they are serving beer topless behind a bar all day?? Doh

Girlfriend, obviously. happy.gif wink.gif

#35 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Griff @ Feb 22 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Girlfriend, obviously. happy.gif wink.gif

Who do you think I am? Ashley Cole or Tiger Woods maybe!!!

#36 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 22 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You certainly have the " Drawing" power Mick biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Bob Fowler, 22 February 2010 - 07:08 PM.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#37 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Feb 22 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a hand in the birds bush is worth two in the .......... no, no it's gone. sorry.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#38 F.Slater

F.Slater
  • Coach
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (oldrover @ Feb 22 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a hand in the birds bush is worth two in the .......... no, no it's gone. sorry.

Utter Brilliance once again OR
Posted Image

#39 FevDean32

FevDean32
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Why not catagorize games to A, B, and C status
The 'A' games with most away support keep at £14 and maybe offer 'B' for £12 and 'C' for £10?

#40 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Nice one Bob and Oldrover. This forum's like a perpetual "Carry On" film!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users