Food and drink thread

As part of my new year resolution, I'm looking at trying a new food or drink every month.

So far I have tried Japanese sake (saki) and venison. I have some others in mind but I'm throwing the doors open to anymore exciting suggestions. (And don't say 'salad', I know some of you smart ***** are thinking it!)

My other ideas for future months include:

• goose foie gras
  • caviar
  • quince
  • dragonfruit
  • steak tartare
  • oysters
  • sea bream
  • tripe
  • frog's legs
  • kangaroo

But I think it needs more oomph, more pizzazz.

Two rules,

1. it must cost less than

Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's not the most delightful thing ever, just something I haven't tried, like tripe.

Tripe is very nutritious. If you have honeycomb tripe cold and put pepper and vinegar on it, it taste of pepper and vinegar.

I've eaten frogs legs deep fried in batter in the Turin area of Italy. They have the texture of chicken but taste a bit fishy.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Emu.

Snails.

I wonder if emu tastes like ostrich? There used to be an ostrich farm on Toftshaw Lane, Bradford, but I wouldn't know if it's till there.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

As part of my new year resolution, I'm looking at trying a new food or drink every month.

So far I have tried Japanese sake (saki) and venison. I have some others in mind but I'm throwing the doors open to anymore exciting suggestions. (And don't say 'salad', I know some of you smart ***** are thinking it!)

• goose foie gras
  • caviar
  • quince
  • dragonfruit
  • steak tartare
  • oysters
  • sea bream
  • tripe
  • frog's legs
  • kangaroo

But I think it needs more oomph, more pizzazz.

Two rules,

1. it must cost less than

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I once ate steak tartare. We were on a long weekend trip to Paris. We'd been to Versailles Palace and went into the town for lunch. Sat outside the restaurant, the menu of the day was a choice of steak tartare or stewed tongue. Helen opted for steak tartare - she's not fond of tongue (yes Mick) She thought steak tartare was steak with a tartare sauce. The other thing to remember about Helen is that she absolutely hates eggs served in any way except baked in cakes or Yorkshire puds. Imagine her face when a pile of raw minced steak with a raw egg on it appeared in front of her. She ate the tongue - I ate the steak - with tabasco. It was ok. I'd have it again.

Another French egg dish best avoided IMO is oef's flotant. Which is an egg custard with poached egg whites floating in it. A bit slimey TBH.

Clement Attlee.

Haha i'm doing similar but just with Fish and Meat.

Had Plaice for the first time and have had it again recently. I know it's not that wild but like I say I haven't had it. Good luck with tripe!!

I know that IKEA have Moose lasagne and Reindeer salami. On my list I have Goose and Pheasant and both are easily accessible. I saw quail in a local supermarket too. Try a fresh meat market and ponder at the "back row" of the butcher's stall as the so called less popular/known meats are there.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Haha i'm doing similar but just with Fish and Meat.

Had Plaice for the first time and have had it again recently. I know it's not that wild but like I say I haven't had it. Good luck with tripe!!

I know that IKEA have Moose lasagne and Reindeer salami. On my list I have Goose and Pheasant and both are easily accessible. I saw quail in a local supermarket too. Try a fresh meat market and ponder at the "back row" of the butcher's stall as the so called less popular/known meats are there.

We nearly had goose at Christmas. But it was sooo expensive compared to an Asda turkey. I'd bought all the tackle for having goose, including a fat separator too. However, a day or so after we'd bought the turkey we saw frozen geese in Lidl at about half the price of the Asda turkey :( I'm still not sure I'd have had the confidence to cook it though.

I've had pheasant. It's a few years ago. I used to work with a guy who shot (and smoked) so I swapped him 200 Regal Kings bought in Spain for a brace of pheasant. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed dry and tasteless.

Edited by Trojan

Clement Attlee.

We nearly had goose at Christmas. But it was sooo expensive compared to an Asda turkey. I'd bought all the tackle for having goose, including a fat separator too. However, a day or so after we'd bought the turkey we saw frozen geese in LIDL f the price of the Asda turkey :( I'm still not sure I'd have had the confidence to cook it though.

I've had pheasant. It's a few years ago. I used to work with a guy who shot (and smoked) so I swapped him 200 Regal Kings bought in Spain for a brace of pheasant. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed dry and tasteless.

Aye that's where i saw it and Quail too.

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Pheasant's pleasant enough, but not a particularly exotic taste. Being a game bird, it has little fat so will dry out quickly if not regularly basted. Pigeon can be had from some butchers, Waitrose, or (frozen) from oriental supermarkets. Again, it must be kept moist, but is a much more interesting flavour than pheasant or partridge.

Quail is farmed (more fat), and can be roasted pretty vigorously. I tend to just season them well with salt and pepper, stuff a couple of cherry peppers inside, then sear them in a pan before roasting.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• goose foie gras
  • caviar
  • quince
  • dragonfruit
  • steak tartare
  • oysters
  • sea bream
  • tripe
  • frog's legs
  • kangaroo

Of the above:

• Foie gras (Duck or Goose) is delicious, and there are more and more suppliers who rear the birds more humanely than the horror stories that are regularly circulated.
  • Caviare. The cheap/medium priced stuff's nothing to write home about, while the really good stuff is prohibitively expensive.
  • Quince. You can, in some delicatessens and supermarkets (i.e. Sainsbury) get Membrillo, which is a stiff quince jelly which is traditionally served with white, crumble cheese. A good combination.
  • Dragon Fruit. About a hundred times more interesting to look at than to eat. Pleasant, but a little bland.
  • Steak tartare. The flavour is lovely, but it's the texture that turns most people off.
  • Oysters. Love 'em.
  • Frog's Legs. Chickeny.
  • Nice red meat, Kangaroo.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've come across that mob at the Pub & Bar Expo. They were handing out samples to try so I ate my fill of crocodile, locust, snake and a number of other creatures I'd rather not be reminded of. :O

I've had springbok, eland and crocodile from them. Very good stuff.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pheasant's pleasant enough, but not a particularly exotic taste. Being a game bird, it has little fat so will dry out quickly if not regularly basted. Pigeon can be had from some butchers, Waitrose, or (frozen) from oriental supermarkets. Again, it must be kept moist, but is a much more interesting flavour than pheasant or partridge.

Quail is farmed (more fat), and can be roasted pretty vigorously. I tend to just season them well with salt and pepper, stuff a couple of cherry peppers inside, then sear them in a pan before roasting.

I like to casserole pheasant in red wine and seasoning, with some red currant jelly in the mix.

its nice with mustard mash.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local