Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

As part of my new year resolution, I'm looking at trying a new food or drink every month.

So far I have tried Japanese sake (saki) and venison. I have some others in mind but I'm throwing the doors open to anymore exciting suggestions. (And don't say 'salad', I know some of you smart arses are thinking it!)

My other ideas for future months include:

• goose foie gras
  • caviar
  • quince
  • dragonfruit
  • steak tartare
  • oysters
  • sea bream
  • tripe
  • frog's legs
  • kangaroo

But I think it needs more oomph, more pizzazz.

Two rules,

1. it must cost less than 10 including any delivery (which might exclude caviar, unless someone has some to let me try!)
2. if it's not from an online provider, it must be available in West Yorkshire.

Not another rule but I want suggestions to do with new food stuffs, i.e. new animals, fish, vegetables, etc. Not just a different type of cheese, beer, cake or biscuit and such.

This thread can also be about bragging, "I've tried shark fin soup on the beach in blah, blah, blah", "I have an 800 bottle of something in my wine cellar", etc.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's not the most delightful thing ever, just something I haven't tried, like tripe.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

Tripe.
Brains.
Pig cock.

#4 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Faggots.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#5 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

swordfish is always good

#6 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Bearded Collie.

#7 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

Monkfish. Wrapped in Parma ham is my favourite way of cooking it.

Wasabi sauce, next time you have some Japanese food.

A bit of a catchall, but if you get the chance try a Teppanyaki restaurant. The food is great, but the experience of watching fling their implements around is brilliant.

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Feb 21 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's not the most delightful thing ever, just something I haven't tried, like tripe.

Tripe is very nutritious. If you have honeycomb tripe cold and put pepper and vinegar on it, it taste of pepper and vinegar.
I've eaten frogs legs deep fried in batter in the Turin area of Italy. They have the texture of chicken but taste a bit fishy.

Edited by Trojan, 21 February 2010 - 10:33 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Bulls' testicles. A quality butcher should be able to supply them.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Emu.
Snails.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 February 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

my local butcher has "emu salami". Tastes ok.

Try Camel. I had a great camel pie in the outback.... yum.

Although back to your part of the world ... a good dish of sheep brains always hits the spot

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Feb 22 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Emu.
Snails.

I wonder if emu tastes like ostrich? There used to be an ostrich farm on Toftshaw Lane, Bradford, but I wouldn't know if it's till there.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,462 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Feb 21 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As part of my new year resolution, I'm looking at trying a new food or drink every month.

So far I have tried Japanese sake (saki) and venison. I have some others in mind but I'm throwing the doors open to anymore exciting suggestions. (And don't say 'salad', I know some of you smart arses are thinking it!)

My other ideas for future months include:

• goose foie gras
  • caviar
  • quince
  • dragonfruit
  • steak tartare
  • oysters
  • sea bream
  • tripe
  • frog's legs
  • kangaroo

But I think it needs more oomph, more pizzazz.

Two rules,

1. it must cost less than 10 including any delivery (which might exclude caviar, unless someone has some to let me try!)
2. if it's not from an online provider, it must be available in West Yorkshire.

Not another rule but I want suggestions to do with new food stuffs, i.e. new animals, fish, vegetables, etc. Not just a different type of cheese, beer, cake or biscuit and such.

This thread can also be about bragging, "I've tried shark fin soup on the beach in blah, blah, blah", "I have an 800 bottle of something in my wine cellar", etc.

check out how they make foie gras
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:54 AM

I once ate steak tartare. We were on a long weekend trip to Paris. We'd been to Versailles Palace and went into the town for lunch. Sat outside the restaurant, the menu of the day was a choice of steak tartare or stewed tongue. Helen opted for steak tartare - she's not fond of tongue (yes Mick) She thought steak tartare was steak with a tartare sauce. The other thing to remember about Helen is that she absolutely hates eggs served in any way except baked in cakes or Yorkshire puds. Imagine her face when a pile of raw minced steak with a raw egg on it appeared in front of her. She ate the tongue - I ate the steak - with tabasco. It was ok. I'd have it again.
Another French egg dish best avoided IMO is oef's flotant. Which is an egg custard with poached egg whites floating in it. A bit slimey TBH.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

You need to take a tour through theOsgrow website.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Feb 22 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if emu tastes like ostrich? There used to be an ostrich farm on Toftshaw Lane, Bradford, but I wouldn't know if it's till there.

Yes, it's very similar, quite a dark meat , really tasty.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Haha i'm doing similar but just with Fish and Meat.

Had Plaice for the first time and have had it again recently. I know it's not that wild but like I say I haven't had it. Good luck with tripe!!

I know that IKEA have Moose lasagne and Reindeer salami. On my list I have Goose and Pheasant and both are easily accessible. I saw quail in a local supermarket too. Try a fresh meat market and ponder at the "back row" of the butcher's stall as the so called less popular/known meats are there.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Feb 22 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha i'm doing similar but just with Fish and Meat.

Had Plaice for the first time and have had it again recently. I know it's not that wild but like I say I haven't had it. Good luck with tripe!!

I know that IKEA have Moose lasagne and Reindeer salami. On my list I have Goose and Pheasant and both are easily accessible. I saw quail in a local supermarket too. Try a fresh meat market and ponder at the "back row" of the butcher's stall as the so called less popular/known meats are there.

We nearly had goose at Christmas. But it was sooo expensive compared to an Asda turkey. I'd bought all the tackle for having goose, including a fat separator too. However, a day or so after we'd bought the turkey we saw frozen geese in Lidl at about half the price of the Asda turkey sad.gif I'm still not sure I'd have had the confidence to cook it though.
I've had pheasant. It's a few years ago. I used to work with a guy who shot (and smoked) so I swapped him 200 Regal Kings bought in Spain for a brace of pheasant. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed dry and tasteless.

Edited by Trojan, 22 February 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#19 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Feb 22 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We nearly had goose at Christmas. But it was sooo expensive compared to an Asda turkey. I'd bought all the tackle for having goose, including a fat separator too. However, a day or so after we'd bought the turkey we saw frozen geese in LIDL f the price of the Asda turkey sad.gif I'm still not sure I'd have had the confidence to cook it though.
I've had pheasant. It's a few years ago. I used to work with a guy who shot (and smoked) so I swapped him 200 Regal Kings bought in Spain for a brace of pheasant. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed dry and tasteless.

Aye that's where i saw it and Quail too.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 22 February 2010 - 10:44 AM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#20 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Feb 22 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to take a tour through theOsgrow website.

I've come across that mob at the Pub & Bar Expo. They were handing out samples to try so I ate my fill of crocodile, locust, snake and a number of other creatures I'd rather not be reminded of. ohmy.gif

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014