Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#421 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I know we are in a food & drink section, but I thought i'd bring home the bad side of Christmas and drink driving.

I saw this campaign today on my Twitter feed and thought i'd share some of the scary facts with you.

See: http://www.drink-driving-limit.co.uk/

What do you think? What scares you the most?

I'm quite scared by the way those statistics are presented. Presumably, they were produced by a reputable organisation, but some are skewed badly. By choosing arbitrary age ranges, they are able to show that the 25-59 year olds caused 2230 casualties, but the 16-24 year olds only caused 1350. How many people fall into the 25-59 range compared to the 16-24 range? How many people in the 16-24 range don't actually drive? How many over 60s drive as a proportion of the population. Sorry, but this is sloppy maths! 3 out of 10, must do better if they want to be taken seriously.

I've no argument with the basic message that drinking and driving is dangerous and wrong.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#422 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm quite scared by the way those statistics are presented. Presumably, they were produced by a reputable organisation, but some are skewed badly. By choosing arbitrary age ranges, they are able to show that the 25-59 year olds caused 2230 casualties, but the 16-24 year olds only caused 1350. How many people fall into the 25-59 range compared to the 16-24 range? How many people in the 16-24 range don't actually drive? How many over 60s drive as a proportion of the population. Sorry, but this is sloppy maths! 3 out of 10, must do better if they want to be taken seriously.

I've no argument with the basic message that drinking and driving is dangerous and wrong.

Absolutely. Using sloppy stats has the danger of undermining the message.
Fides invicta triumphat

#423 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just tried a square of chocolate with bhut jolokia chilli in it. Not as painful as expected, and actually quite tasty.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#424 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Managed to get some reindeer and it was excellent
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#425 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

South Kensingtons cheapest restaurant is at the very bottom of Exhibition Rd. Melamine tables, basic food, & service. But tasty, CHEAP, & quick
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#426 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

If you like toast, see http://howesyourtoast.blogspot.co.uk/ and add your own favourites!

#427 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

At the Bakewell market last month I picked up some zebra, crocodile and ostrich from the oslinc stall.

Edited by hindle xiii, 07 January 2013 - 08:00 AM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#428 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

At the Bakewell market last month I picked up some zebra, crocodile and ostrich from the oslinc stall.

Ark?

LUNEW.jpg

#429 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

<p><p><p>Ribs - how 'tis done chez Dr F. At least how I did 'em on Saturday.
  • Rub a generous sprinkle of Sainsbury Mexican Spice mix onto the ribs, with a little oil (just enough to make the spices stick to the meat). Leave to marinade for an hour or so.
  • Put into a slow cooker for 1 hour on 'full', followed by 3 or more hours on 'low'.
  • Then decant into roasting tray, and squirt plenty of Sainsbury Sweet & Spicy barbecue sauce all over the meat. Roast in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes, 'til sticky. Alternatively, this step can be accomplished on the barbecue, if you have one. But be careful, as the meat is falling off the bone at this point.
  • Allow to cool, then make a disgusting pig of yourself. After which, you may need to take a shower...

Edited by Futtocks, 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#430 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Excellent prawn risotto last night; flavoured simply with onion, garlic and chilli flakes, one veg stock cube and a glug of cheap white wine. Chucked in some red pepper, broccoli and chopped fine beans to add colour and bite. Delicious. Oh and a bit of parmesan on top.

Tonight its home made chicken tandoori with rice and chick peas, brinjal pickle and greek yoghurt.

There's plenty too if anyone wants to pop round...

#431 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,688 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Excellent prawn risotto last night; flavoured simply with onion, garlic and chilli flakes, one veg stock cube and a glug of cheap white wine. Chucked in some red pepper, broccoli and chopped fine beans to add colour and bite. Delicious. Oh and a bit of parmesan on top.

Tonight its home made chicken tandoori with rice and chick peas, brinjal pickle and greek yoghurt.

There's plenty too if anyone wants to pop round...

I'm a big fan of risotto since I learned how easy it is to prepare. I tend to limit the ingredients to one main ingredient added to white risotto. Spicy roasted squash and mushroom risotto are my favourites. Also it's a very cheap meal.
Fides invicta triumphat

#432 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

One of the most delicious things I ever made for myself was a "risotto". The inference being it was rice based slop. It was amazing, super umami, and included mushrooms, mushroom cup soup, nori and anything else I could think of that was of that ilk. It was so thick you could use it in bricklaying.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#433 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I do love risotto, having taught myself to make it from instructions on the back of a packet of 'Riso Gallo' carnaroli. It doesn't look particularly appealing, but it's tasty, comforting and filling. And you can experiment with different additions.

#434 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

ah yes risotto. You've got me remeniscing now. If it wasn't fore risotto(sic), packet soup with pasta in it, and kashmir curries I'd have never lived through uni.

You could feed a houseful on 'risotto' and anything went: that bit in the YOung Ones where Neil ws making snow risotto wasn't far off.

boil a load of rice half to death. Strain and put to one side. Chop up some onions, peppers and mushrooms(optional if your grant hasn't come through or you spent it on a leather coat in the first week of term), and garlic. Soften in the pan you used for the rice. Add cheap mince, or maybe tuna and get it going in the pan with some garlic and some Schwarz mixed herbs and black pepper(schwarz and another name starting with 'Mc' was all that there was, chuck the rice in, add some oxo, pluce maybe some tomato puree if there was any lying about.
Shovel down.

head fore the Union bar and romance.

them wot days
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#435 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

...although that's not strictly risotto.

#436 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

...although that's not strictly risotto.

quite

hence the sic and the inverted commas.

It was risotto to us at the time. You could only buy two kinds of rice and tghe other was pudding rice(actually closer to risotto rice maybe).
Keeping it local

#437 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

the other was pudding rice (actually closer to risotto rice maybe).

Quite and not surprisingly, risotto rice makes cracking rice pudding.

LUNEW.jpg

#438 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Quite and not surprisingly, risotto rice makes cracking rice pudding.

until vesta curries came out, the only rice I ate was rice pudding. In fact I didn't know there was any other kind. My gran's was the best by a mile. She did it on the black yorkshire range oven. School rice pudding was ok as well.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Keeping it local

#439 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

It was risotto to us at the time.

Same here. Anything mixed into (usually long-grain) rice was 'risotto' back then.

Edited by Futtocks, 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#440 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just checked the burgers we have in. They are marked “Low in fat, high in Shergar”. A friend of mine ate some which gave him the trots but he's stable now. I've got some in my freezer but it looks like I’m saddled with them.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users