Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#441 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Just needs a bit of creative marketing - My Lidl Pony anyone?

LUNEW.jpg

#442 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Do you eat it as a mane course or a starter?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#443 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,304 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

..and they're off!

#444 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I must say I'm surprised at the number of people who are appalled at the notion of eating horse meat. Granted, only beef should be present in beef burgers but horse meat is lovely.
Fides invicta triumphat

#445 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I must say I'm surprised at the number of people who are appalled at the notion of eating horse meat. Granted, only beef should be present in beef burgers but horse meat is lovely.

I think people are being a bit squeamish. Horses generally are given a name. Most people don't like eating things with a name.

See also: Rabbit
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#446 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think people are being a bit squeamish. Horses generally are given a name. Most people don't like eating things with a name.

it's custom and culture as well

I can remember when horsemeat was eaten in this country. There was a horsemeat buthchers in Leeds when I was a kid, but it was going out of style.

The point is though that these burgers weren't supposed to have it in, same goes for the pork that was also found in them.
Keeping it local

#447 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

+1
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#448 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,040 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I love rabbit and considering the number of them and how easy they are to breed I'm surprised we don't eat more of them.
Fides invicta triumphat

#449 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I love rabbit and considering the number of them and how easy they are to breed I'm surprised we don't eat more of them.

Up until the myxomatosis outbreak in the 50's we did.Unfortunately intensive farming made pork,chicken etc cheaper to buy than rabbit.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 16 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#450 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

it's custom and culture as well

I can remember when horsemeat was eaten in this country. There was a horsemeat buthchers in Leeds when I was a kid, but it was going out of style.

The point is though that these burgers weren't supposed to have it in, same goes for the pork that was also found in them.

I remember the horse meat butcher in Leeds - near the market. I've seen horse meat butchers in France - there's usually a brass horse's head over the door. I ordered steak hache cheval in a restaurant in Brive thinking it was horse - but it was just a burger with an egg on top!
If you don't like Tesco's burgers try their meatballs, I hear they're the dogs b ollocks!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#451 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Avoid those burgers.

They'll give you the trots. :o ;)

#452 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'd have no problem with horse meat being available for sale in the UK. I'd like rabbit to be easier to find in the shops too.

I can understand the furore, though. And there is also the legal matter of listed ingredients not matching actual contents. That matter should always be strictly regulated and checked.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#453 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Seems I'm not the only one to draw that conclusion. Linky to BBC article
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#454 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Noticed in Waitrose last night - they are now stocking Penderyn Welsh whisky. I had some a few years ago, but had problems finding it in the shops* 'til now.

*short of trekking into central London to visit the estimable Millroys.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#455 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I went into this bar with my daughter's partner in NYC had a couple of great beers, and Phil told the bartender it was my birthday.
He gave me a glass of this rye whisky on the house. It was one of the best whysky's I've ever tasted.

also

slow braised virginia lamb in a resataurant in Washington. You could taste the grass it had lived on.

dim sum in a cafe in China town, really delicate, superbly balanced flavours but really filling.

corned beef hash with two eggs over easy on top and a side of home fries in a side street diner, everywhere formica but with bits chipped off the corner, populated by people who lookled as though they'd been up all night and possibly the night before.

a hot dog from papaya dog a street corner scruffy joint on a street corner

and finally filet mignon in BB King's blues bar after being enraptured by Johnny Winter.

highlights of an outstanding eating and suping experience accompanied by some gorgeous beers.
Keeping it local

#456 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

corned beef hash with two eggs over easy on top and a side of home fries in a side street diner, everywhere formica but with bits chipped off the corner, populated by people who lookled as though they'd been up all night and possibly the night before.

A CCTV image of Chris' holiday. ;)

#457 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

A CCTV image of Chris' holiday. ;)

night hawks

one of my favourite paintings.

there was definitately that kind of flavour about a lot of the places.
Keeping it local

#458 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I love Rabbit, Horse, & Kangeroo, my local butcher also has Zebra & Crocodile.

However I am still waiting for Naan bread to rise, Sunday is a Small Turkey stuffed with Partridge with Guinea Foul roast.

I will save Kangeroo Burgers until the evening of the World Cup Final

I would also like to point out that I love Romney Marsh Lamb, Sussex Ham, & Suckling Pig from Cornwall.

& as for the seafood around here............

I Love it #####

Edited by Bleep1673, 01 February 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#459 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

On my recent trip to Brugge I had a great beef carbonadde served with a massive dollop of apple sauce, at first I thought it was a weird combination but it was brilliant.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#460 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

made a beef curry last night

it was ####

i think i'm moving away from this sort of studd
Keeping it local