Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#521 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

I quite like Nigel Slater's shows.

Now that Greg Wallace .... I could only warm to him if I had a flat iron handy.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#522 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Nigel Slater, long-haired? Well, more hair than me, but long-haired?

I think it depends on what series it is!

If a fringe approaches or reaches eye-brows then I consider it long hair on a chap, it's long to me when my hair does anyway!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#523 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think it depends on what series it is!

If a fringe approaches or reaches eye-brows then I consider it long hair on a chap, it's long to me when my hair does anyway!

I think Slater's a bit of a stiff on-screen, and he's better in print than on TV.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#524 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think Slater's a bit of a stiff on-screen, and he's better in print than on TV.

Not as good as this:

http://books.simonan...r/9781451655681

#525 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

Is he the one who says he has the cure for vegetarianism. If so he can't be that bad.

I'm really going off meat lately and am seriously thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Or at least not eating meat

#526 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm really going off meat lately and am seriously thinking of becoming a vegetarian. Or at least not eating meat

I'm finding that I'm eating a lot less meat recently. Partly this is due to the cost of responsibly sourced meat but also to keep my calorie intake under control. I joke about vegetarians but I'm really only refer to the militant type who have a right bee in their bonnet about someone else's choice to eat meat. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#527 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have a meat and fish free Friday and have done for a few years now, just to try and get me to think differently and plan ahead a little.

It usually ends up me eating beans on toast...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#528 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Right, thinking caps on ladies and gents. I'm making some crumpets from scratch later today and tomorrow, but I'm struggling to find chef rings to fry them in. I thought about chopping up a couple of tin cans into hoops. Apparently this isn't a good idea and I could get poisoned.

Is this true?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#529 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Are you doing them in fat or on a griddle placed directly above a gas burner.

A tin can is a steel can with a thin coating of tin.

Gas burner ----- 10000 C at flame, at least 6000 C on a griddle surface

Lard ---------------smoke point ~2000 C

Tin melting point: 2210 C, though tin-vapour release is probably higher for a tin can because the mobile tin will fuse into an alloy with the steel at high temperatures

http://www.therange....ductsPerPage=16

i.e. you run the risk of both inhaling tin vapour and marking your cooker.

#530 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm finding that I'm eating a lot less meat recently. Partly this is due to the cost of responsibly sourced meat but also to keep my calorie intake under control. I joke about vegetarians but I'm really only refer to the militant type who have a right bee in their bonnet about someone else's choice to eat meat.

I agree there. I have even seen some vegans saying that if you don't go vegan like, straightway, you may as well not bother.

#531 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Are you doing them in fat or on a griddle placed directly above a gas burner.

A tin can is a steel can with a thin coating of tin.

Gas burner ----- 10000 C at flame, at least 6000 C on a griddle surface

Lard ---------------smoke point ~2000 C

Tin melting point: 2210 C, though tin-vapour release is probably higher for a tin can because the mobile tin will fuse into an alloy with the steel at high temperatures

http://www.therange....ductsPerPage=16

i.e. you run the risk of both inhaling tin vapour and marking your cooker.

The latter, probably a dry frying pan.

I managed to find of couple of presentation rings at Asda, they're not big enough but it'll be reet. Smaller crumpets.

Edited by hindle xiii, 04 June 2013 - 12:32 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#532 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I agree there. I have even seen some vegans saying that if you don't go vegan like, straightway, you may as well not bother.

Ridiculous, and liable to put off potential Vegans, so they're not helping their cause either. Reminds me of that character in 'The Simpsons' who claims to be an 8th-level vegan - he doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow. :rolleyes: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#533 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

The latter, probably a dry frying pan.

I managed to find of couple of presentation rings at Asda, they're not big enough but it'll be reet. Smaller crumpets.

Cocktail Crumpets! Ooh, very a la mode. ;) 

#534 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Cocktail Crumpets! Ooh, very a la mode. ;)

Elephantitis blini.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#535 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ridiculous, and liable to put off potential Vegans, so they're not helping their cause either. Reminds me of that character in 'The Simpsons' who claims to be an 8th-level vegan - he doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow. :rolleyes:

There are actually vegans like that. They think someone stopping eating meat but not becoming extreme are 'harming the cause'. They even have a go at regular vegetarians. As you say, ridiculous.

#536 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

There are actually vegans like that. They think someone stopping eating meat but not becoming extreme are 'harming the cause'. They even have a go at regular vegetarians. As you say, ridiculous.

I blame the RFL.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#537 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

So are we definitely a no-no with the DIY crumpet rings? Cos I've a ##### load of tuna cans winking at me.

Btw, who cooks crumpets in lard?

Edited by hindle xiii, 04 June 2013 - 03:28 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#538 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Crumpets seem like puff pasty in that its a lot less fuss to by them ready made and you're not really gaining much by making them yourselves. I admire the effort though. 

One a side note, my missus bullied me into ordering one of these

http://www.amazon.co...ords=pizza oven

Hasn't arrived yet so I don't know whether it is a genius purchase or another foodie gadget that never gets used.

Fides invicta triumphat

#539 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Crumpets seem like puff pasty in that its a lot less fuss to by them ready made and you're not really gaining much by making them yourselves. I admire the effort though. 

One a side note, my missus bullied me into ordering one of these

http://www.amazon.co...ords=pizza oven

Hasn't arrived yet so I don't know whether it is a genius purchase or another foodie gadget that never gets used.

If you don't use it for pizza, it's quite a nice heat source for sitting outdoors on an evening.

#540 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm finding that I'm eating a lot less meat recently. Partly this is due to the cost of responsibly sourced meat but also to keep my calorie intake under control. I joke about vegetarians but I'm really only refer to the militant type who have a right bee in their bonnet about someone else's choice to eat meat. 

Stay strong boys, stay strong.....

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"