Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
720 replies to this topic

#561 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Newcastle Brown ice cream. No, really! It is actually very nice.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#562 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Fish and Chips with double mushies from midgeleys on their way right now
I'm starting to drool

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#563 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

There's a good little video on the Donald Russell website that shows how to cook steak (well one way of cooking steak). I got some steaks off them when they were doing one of their many 'special offers' and have to say it was rather good.

I have recently found a local butcher who can tell me exactly which farm his meat comes from (and sounds convincing so probably isn't talking BS) and has some nice cuts at decent prices. Always big queues there so he must be doing something right.

My butcher has his cows in a shed outside the shop.

#564 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

My butcher has his cows in a shed outside the shop.

Cuts down on food miles

The last government were convinced that we were there to do their bidding. They wasted vast quantities of our money in order to spy on us, intimidate us and needlessly over regulate us, whilst gold plating their own pensions and expenses. Their behind the scenes encouragement of, and turning a blind eye to, the kettling and harrassment tactics of the Police are a shameful episode in our history which we need to remember and address urgently. - Haloman

#565 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

I just had a mega sandwich.

A full cheesy white baton with spread, tomato puree, brie, blue cheese, smoked bavarian, tomato and onion. All bought from Sainsbury's (bar the butter) for under £4. It probably weighed the same too. Full as ####.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#566 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just had a mega sandwich.

A full cheesy white baton with spread, tomato puree, brie, blue cheese, smoked bavarian, tomato and onion. All bought from Sainsbury's (bar the butter) for under £4. It probably weighed the same too. Full as ####.

If you like mega-sarnies, see if there's a Vietnamese place anywhere near you that does Banh Mi.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#567 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

If you like mega-sarnies, see if there's a Vietnamese place anywhere near you that does Banh Mi.

I don't think there's owt like that in Westhoughton! Possibly on the correct side of the hill when I get home, but it won't do owt for meat and fish free Friday though!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#568 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I just ordered lots of meat from a local farm. Most of it are cuts I have cooked before but I added a load of oxtail which I have never cooked before.

Has anybody got any good oxtail recipes that they would be kind enough to post on here that I could try?

Thanks 

The last government were convinced that we were there to do their bidding. They wasted vast quantities of our money in order to spy on us, intimidate us and needlessly over regulate us, whilst gold plating their own pensions and expenses. Their behind the scenes encouragement of, and turning a blind eye to, the kettling and harrassment tactics of the Police are a shameful episode in our history which we need to remember and address urgently. - Haloman

#569 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I just ordered lots of meat from a local farm. Most of it are cuts I have cooked before but I added a load of oxtail which I have never cooked before.

Has anybody got any good oxtail recipes that they would be kind enough to post on here that I could try?

Thanks

Fantastic in a stew. Fry them to brown,
In a casserole dish add Celery, Carrot, swede, potato, garlic and onions (plus anything lurking in cupboard or fridge).
Add beef stock, red wine or beer. Season with pepper and salt
Cook long and slooooooooow- 4 hours at least.
30 minutes before the end check the seasoning and add dumplings.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#570 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Fantastic in a stew. Fry them to brown,
In a casserole dish add Celery, Carrot, swede, potato, garlic and onions (plus anything lurking in cupboard or fridge).
Add beef stock, red wine or beer. Season with pepper and salt
Cook long and slooooooooow- 4 hours at least.
30 minutes before the end check the seasoning and add dumplings.

Can't go much wrong with that, really. I probably wouldn't have swede in there, personally. A couple* of smoked oysters can add to the flavour, as would 2 or 3 crushed juniper berries and some thyme.

*which means you can pig out on the rest of the tin - chef's privilege! B) 

#571 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Can't go much wrong with that, really. I probably wouldn't have swede in there, personally. A couple* of smoked oysters can add to the flavour, as would 2 or 3 crushed juniper berries and some thyme.

*which means you can pig out on the rest of the tin - chef's privilege! B)

Thanks to both. I've never tried smoked oysters so will add some to the shopping list.

#572 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

I've spotted these little bottles in a couple of delis recently - Uncle Roy's Comestible Concoctions. They look interesting, so I've bought the juniper and sage ones. I also bought a jar of their oak smoked red chillis, which smell amazing.

Edited by Futtocks, 21 August 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#573 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thai Red Curry and Sam Smith's Beer.

#574 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Chefs always say that frozen peas are as good as fresh.
But what are they for? They are usually used as a dressing and in my opinion add nothing to a meal, they are almost impossible to transfer from the plate to the mouth without spilling.
For me the best way with peas is to use dried and have them as mushed.
I remember in East Anglia that peas used to be sold as a fast food snack with vinegar and they were alright too.
So what's the best thing to do with garden peas?

Edited by bearman, 24 August 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#575 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Fresh peas, eaten raw straight from the pod and in season, are the best! Much better than frozen, the peas and pods should be deep vivid green, juicy and sweet.

Trouble is, the peak of the season is short, and soon the 'fresh' peas you get are pale, clothy and tasteless. So, for the rest of the year, use frozen.

#576 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

So, for the rest of the year, use frozen.

I know thy are useful for applying to a swollen limb, but other than that why bother with them?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#577 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Chefs always say that frozen peas are as good as fresh.
But what are they for? They are usually used as a dressing and in my opinion add nothing to a meal, they are almost impossible to transfer from the plate to the mouth without spilling.
For me the best way with peas is to use dried and have them as mushed.
I remember in East Anglia that peas used to be sold as a fast food snack with vinegar and they were alright too.
So what's the best thing to do with garden peas?

You're a bloody savage Banks. God knows what the buffet will be like on Saturday.

#578 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

You're a bloody savage Banks. God knows what the buffet will be like on Saturday.

There might be rhubarb but there won't be any peas.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#579 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Fresh peas, eaten raw straight from the pod and in season, are the best! Much better than frozen, the peas and pods should be deep vivid green, juicy and sweet.

Trouble is, the peak of the season is short, and soon the 'fresh' peas you get are pale, clothy and tasteless. So, for the rest of the year, use frozen.

Agree, we grew peas last year and our kids were picking and eating them raw, I don't think we managed to get any into the kitchen let alone cook them.

#580 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Just had traditional Lemon Cheese as opposed to the supermarket Lemon Curd. Was beautiful.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users