Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#601 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Just bought some diced Reindeer from Lidl. Father Christmas may be a little slow this year.

Excellent meat,we had Reindeer for Christmas lunch last year.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#602 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I keep meaning to check Lidl; I bought frozen moose and goose from there the other year.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#603 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

I keep meaning to check Lidl; I bought frozen moose and goose from there the other year.

The company I work for recently relocated, and there's a Lidl right next door. Always worth a look to see what they've got. The first time I went inside a one of their shops, I found trumpets, edible underwear and loudspeaker cable. I didn't buy any of them, but you never know what you'll find.

Their leaflet said they'd have goose, but there wasn't any. Maybe it'll be there nearer Christmas, or maybe, as it's a small branch, I will have to visit a bigger one for that. Being a German company, their chocolate-coated gingerbread is very nice indeed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#604 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Tescos down my way sell packs of Mixed mutton and lamb mince in half kilo packs for £2. For all I know it could be 99% mutton as it doesnt give an approximate breakdown, either way it makes a great shepards pie / mutton keema

#605 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

The company I work for recently relocated, and there's a Lidl right next door. Always worth a look to see what they've got. The first time I went inside a one of their shops, I found trumpets, edible underwear and loudspeaker cable. I didn't buy any of them, but you never know what you'll find.

Their leaflet said they'd have goose, but there wasn't any. Maybe it'll be there nearer Christmas, or maybe, as it's a small branch, I will have to visit a bigger one for that. Being a German company, their chocolate-coated gingerbread is very nice indeed.

Lidl is unfairly derided. Much of their 'continental' fare is excellent!

LUNEW.jpg

#606 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Naked Wine's.

#607 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,543 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Lidl is unfairly derided. Much of their 'continental' fare is excellent!

Lidl and aldi are brilliant shops

I buy olive oil, fresh fruit and veg, cheese, charcuterie, hand tools, all sorts, you can't go wrong

In Meanwood there is an ALDI and a waitrose within 50 yards of each other you see the same people in ALDI as you see in Waitrose

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#608 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

The first time I went inside a one of their shops, I found trumpets, edible underwear and loudspeaker cable. I didn't buy any of them,

Then you should be ashamed of yourself.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#609 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Lidl and aldi are brilliant shops

I buy olive oil, fresh fruit and veg, cheese, charcuterie, hand tools, all sorts, you can't go wrong

In Meanwood there is an ALDI and a waitrose within 50 yards of each other you see the same people in ALDI as you see in Waitrose

Agree, and I wish I had one a bit closer. Love browsing and seeing something a bit different on the shelf in these shops, so much better than the mundane selection in Tesco and it's ilk.

28m391z.jpg

#610 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

I casseroled the reindeer and it was very nice indeed. Unlike the "diced" game you get in many shops, these were good-sized chunks (about an inch cubed), not random offcuts.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#611 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Tescos down my way sell packs of Mixed mutton and lamb mince in half kilo packs for £2. For all I know it could be 99% mutton as it doesnt give an approximate breakdown, either way it makes a great shepards pie / mutton keema

I found some on the "going cheap" section
(That's what we call it- has anyone a better name for it?)
I cooked off most of the fat and added some mint, onion and egg plus seasoning and made burgers.
Not the most exciting recipe but they were nice.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#612 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

At Asda they call the reduced to clear items "whoopsies", FFS!

Does anyone know where I can get small bottles or tasters of liquers? (besides shots at a bar or pub)

For my new things to try next year I've concocted a list of booze I've never tried including; kirsch, benedictine, sloe gin and limoncello; but I don't need a whole bottle of the stuff.

If the best and easiest solution is a well-stocked bar or pub then anyone any recommendations in the Bradford/Brighouse area?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#613 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Does anyone know where I can get small bottles or tasters of liquers? (besides shots at a bar or pub)

For my new things to try next year I've concocted a list of booze I've never tried including; kirsch, benedictine, sloe gin and limoncello; but I don't need a whole bottle of the stuff.

There are a few websites that do miniatures.  Mr Benson, once of this parish, had them at his wedding instead of the usual lame favours. 

A quick google should see you sorted.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 November 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#614 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

There are a few websites that do miniatures.  Mr Benson, once of this parish, had them at his wedding instead of the usual lame favours. 

A quick google should see you sorted.

Cheers.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#615 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I had raw beef pressed/minced beef at breakfast this morning in my hotel in the Netherlands (I'm on tour, with my band).  It was lovely with a bit of sliced tomato.

#616 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

What band is that then? and where abouts in the Netherlands? I've never seen that in the Hague. Maybe that's because I have my bacon and egss blinkers on though.

#617 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

What band is that then? and where abouts in the Netherlands? I've never seen that in the Hague. Maybe that's because I have my bacon and egss blinkers on though.

I don't like to talk about my band on the forum, I've sent you a PM.

I stayed near Utrecht last night in one of the big international chains, but this is available in pretty much all of the Dutch based Van Der Walk hotels too from what I've seen.

#618 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I had raw beef pressed/minced beef at breakfast this morning in my hotel in the Netherlands (I'm on tour, with my band).  It was lovely with a bit of sliced tomato.

That's Steak Tartare, didn't you have the raw egg on it?
I used to have it a lot in France.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#619 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

That's Steak Tartare, didn't you have the raw egg on it?
I used to have it a lot in France.

If you can get past the raw egg texture, it's damn tasty. Although it should be chopped, rather than minced.

Edited by Futtocks, 13 November 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#620 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't like to talk about my band on the forum, I've sent you a PM.

I stayed near Utrecht last night in one of the big international chains, but this is available in pretty much all of the Dutch based Van Der Walk hotels too from what I've seen.

Yet you mention it quite a lot.I see quite a few bands,it would be interesting to see and hear yours.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.