Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#621 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

At Asda they call the reduced to clear items "whoopsies", FFS!

Does anyone know where I can get small bottles or tasters of liquers? (besides shots at a bar or pub)

For my new things to try next year I've concocted a list of booze I've never tried including; kirsch, benedictine, sloe gin and limoncello; but I don't need a whole bottle of the stuff.

If the best and easiest solution is a well-stocked bar or pub then anyone any recommendations in the Bradford/Brighouse area?

You could try Gerrys in Leeds near the Grand Theatre,they might have what your looking for.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#622 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I've bought a couple of partridges (Lidl again) for tonight. :) Stuff 'em with chestnuts, lard 'em with bacon, then roast.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#623 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

The internet tells me there is such a thing as Roland Belgian cut salsify in a can.

Belgian Browny; seek *clap clap*.

:biggrin:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#624 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

That's Steak Tartare, didn't you have the raw egg on it?
I used to have it a lot in France.

Never had it for breakfast

Oh aye larry - it didn't come through. Mind sending it again?

#625 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

That's Steak Tartare, didn't you have the raw egg on it?
I used to have it a lot in France.

Nearly but not quite, I love that and have that when in that there french France.

It's called steak Américain or something like that. Widely available in the fresh sandwich shops in the motorway service stations within the Netherlands. There's no egg, and the portions at breakfast aren't full meal size. Although there's nothing to stop anyone having seconds. Lovely it is.

I'm in Brussels again next week, I was a bit pressed for time when I was there last and I had a quick meal in a bar. It was Crepe Monsieur Bolognese, which sounded so odd and low-rent that I decided to have it. Lovely it was, basically the normal toasted sarnie thing served with a big gravy jug full of meaty Bolognese to pour over the top and small green salad.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 November 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#626 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Making some homemade chips tonight which ai intend to fry up in goose fat in my new wok. Gert lush :)

#627 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Double post

Edited by hoff, 13 November 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#628 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've bought a couple of partridges (Lidl again) for tonight. :) Stuff 'em with chestnuts, lard 'em with bacon, then roast.

I didn't use the chestnuts in the end - just put some butter, thyme and a clove of garlic inside each bird and put a layer of Iberico ham over the breasts. Very tasty, and a good amount of meat for the money.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#629 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Beef casserole cooking in the oven. Proper winter food. Not sure whether to bother doing dumplings.

28m391z.jpg

#630 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I didn't use the chestnuts in the end - just put some butter, thyme and a clove of garlic inside each bird and put a layer of Iberico ham over the breasts. Very tasty, and a good amount of meat for the money.

You'd probably have got enough sweetness from the garlic
I don't go in for mucking about with game birds too much since they already have plenty of distinctive flavour
I agree with the ham though
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#631 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Beef casserole cooking in the oven. Proper winter food. Not sure whether to bother doing dumplings.

How about doing some mash to soak up the juices? Or some chunky bread

I like dumps but they lie a bit heavy sometimes
Keeping it local

#632 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Not enough fibre in your diet.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#633 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

How about doing some mash to soak up the juices? Or some chunky bread

It will be served with horseradish mash. No time to make bread today.

28m391z.jpg

#634 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Even more reason that you need to lose the obsession with crapping at RL grounds Frank.

#635 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

If your dumplings are heavy you're making them wrong - too much fat, not enough raising agent and/or overworking the mix. I generally use butter rather than suet, self-raising flour with another small teaspoon of baking powder. Season well, add herbs, cheese and other flavouring. Work the fat in with a table knife with minimal use of your hands. Cold water to bring together, divide into equal sized dumplings about size of a golf ball. Rest in the fridge. Add to stew/casserole for ½ hour. Serve. Eat. Collapse in contentment!

LUNEW.jpg

#636 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Chicken Tikka... Lasagne? :O

#637 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Horseradish vodka. I didn't have any mixers available last night, so tried a tiny nip of it on its own. Interesting...

It came in a three-pack with the other two flavours being cucumber and blackcurrant. I haven't tried them yet.

#638 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I recently bought a catering grade mincer that also makes sausages- relax timtum I'm not after your gig

I'll never buy shop bought mince again the difference is amazing and makes you realise what goes into shop bought mince

It is extremely easy to keep clean and stashes away unobstrusively
Keeping it local

#639 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

I recently bought a catering grade mincer that also makes sausages- relax timtum I'm not after your gig

I'll never buy shop bought mince again the difference is amazing and makes you realise what goes into shop bought mince

It is extremely easy to keep clean and stashes away unobstrusively

You can also regulate the amount of fat that you get in your mince to your own preference.

#640 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

You can also regulate the amount of fat that you get in your mince to your own preference.

Exactly

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users