Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#721 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

General hints'n'tips for Borough Market, seeing as someone asked via PM and it is worth fitting into a London trip. 

Upside of Borough Market - lots of quality produce all in one place, plus stalls where you can buy stuff to eat straight away.

Downside - VERY crowded at some times of some days. Normally, I can only get there on Saturday, due to their restricted opening times, and Saturday is when everyone in my situation goes. If you can get there early, it's a good idea.

It is a bit of a labyrinth, so if you spot something and think "I'll take a look at that later", finding it again can involve a bit of wandering around.

There are people who knock Borough Market, especially as it has become more well-known, and some produce can be pricey, but if you take your time, buy a glass of something to sip and tour all the stalls before you start buying,

Then start with the heavy/hard stuff (meat, bottles etc.) and work your way through to the light and fragile (the selection of mushrooms is excellent at the big vegetable stall) and you'll end up poor but happy. Ask to take a look through the freezer at Exotic Meats, as what they have up front is just the burgers.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#722 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Just cooked sous-vide salmon in a beer cooler, a bit like this: http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2zuUBScRt

Well, we’ve just finished eating, and it went quite well. The salmon, while being completely cooked was unbelievably tender and the ingredients I’d put in the bag with it (salt, parsley, lemon zest and some hazelnut butter) has permeated the fish without overpowering it. The beer cooler, with a small top-up from the kettle after 20 minutes, lost about 15 degrees heat over 50-odd minutes.

The crispy skin ‘bacon’ was burnt due to lack of attention from me, so I didn’t serve it in the end. Otherwise, an avenue well worth exploring.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#723 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

I was at some friends' house last night, and they cooked this Ottolenghi recipe for beetroot and celeriac gratin. Incredibly tasty, rich and satisfying. Definitely worth trying.

As a committed meat-lover, I can say that even non-veggies would like it.

#724 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Picked up an ox tongue from the butcher today

#725 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

On the subject of sous-vide, this is a useful site: http://www.sousvides...emperatures.htm

Techniques, tips, recipes and temperature guides.

#726 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Roasted butternut squash. Delicious.

#727 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Roasted butternut squash. Delicious.

Nice, and the only squash you can get all year round, but not the tastiest. Waitrose sometimes have a wider variety, if you're interested.

#728 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,611 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

General hints'n'tips for Borough Market, seeing as someone asked via PM and it is worth fitting into a London trip. 

Upside of Borough Market - lots of quality produce all in one place, plus stalls where you can buy stuff to eat straight away.

Downside - VERY crowded at some times of some days. Normally, I can only get there on Saturday, due to their restricted opening times, and Saturday is when everyone in my situation goes. If you can get there early, it's a good idea.

It is a bit of a labyrinth, so if you spot something and think "I'll take a look at that later", finding it again can involve a bit of wandering around.

There are people who knock Borough Market, especially as it has become more well-known, and some produce can be pricey, but if you take your time, buy a glass of something to sip and tour all the stalls before you start buying,

Then start with the heavy/hard stuff (meat, bottles etc.) and work your way through to the light and fragile (the selection of mushrooms is excellent at the big vegetable stall) and you'll end up poor but happy. Ask to take a look through the freezer at Exotic Meats, as what they have up front is just the burgers.

I don't really look at this thread that often, hence the late reply, but a real treat of Borough Market is the Turkish food stall, the Turkish Delights they have there are just outstanding.  I get a big box worth every time I go.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#729 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,611 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Just having a punnet of the first of this year's British strawberries.  A real pleasure after a winter of bland furrin strawberries.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#730 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't really look at this thread that often, hence the late reply, but a real treat of Borough Market is the Turkish food stall, the Turkish Delights they have there are just outstanding.  I get a big box worth every time I go.

The Spanish shop Brindisa, last time I was there, had some very nice morcilla (the type with rice). If you like black pudding, you'll certainly love morcilla!

#731 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,611 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

The Spanish shop Brindisa, last time I was there, had some very nice morcilla (the type with rice). If you like black pudding, you'll certainly love morcilla!

I think I had some of that last year, didn't really hit it with me, maybe it was just an off day.

I find that if you go to Borough Market to buy standard stuff then you'll come away disappointed, I only get the treats and stuff I can't get elsewhere at the same quality.  There are some great stalls with great produce but also a fair few chancers and mark-up merchants who'll sell you very average stuff at greatly inflated prices.

#732 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

The meat stalls are worth the trip on their own, especially for game, while the big vegetable stall has a remarkable selection of mushrooms. I don't tend to buy booze at the market, as it is heavy to carry home.

There are several stals, as you say, selling run-of-the-mill produce, but if you take your time and cherrypick, it is worth the journey. Don't just graze the free stuff - it marks you out as a cheapskate. Visit a few times, and you will learn enough about the good traders to be in and out quickly without wasting money on tat.

Edited by Futtocks, 01 May 2014 - 02:47 PM.

• ckn likes this

#733 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

I am slow roasting some pork belly with lots of herbs. The house smells fantastic. I am sat here nearly drooling while waiting for it to be ready.

28m391z.jpg

#734 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

Prepare to have your socks blown off TRLers.

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#735 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

I don't like coffee or porridge so they seems doubly wrong.

28m391z.jpg

#736 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,611 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

So I made my porridge 20 minutes ago. The usual; oats, milk, hot water and sugar blasted in the microwave, "so what?" you may think. Ahh, but first off the boiling water was poured on a teaspoon of instant coffee.

Yes, coffee porridge...

Boom!

A favourite of mine when on exercise in the army was to take the dire porridge and mix it with the dire hot chocolate sachet. Luxury :)

#737 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Venison casserole in the slow cooker - started yesterday, then cooled overnight and re-heated for this evening. Flavours used were red wine, smoked garlic, thyme, juniper oil, balsamic vinegar and, as a new experiment, cumin powder. Cumin will be in future game casseroles, definitely!

#738 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Exactly what the video description says it is. Not exactly Nigella.

#739 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Dunno whether i should mention this as i want to be able to get some but...here goes... Aldi selling Wagyu beef tomorrow for £7 http://www.moneysavi...s&utm_content=3

#740 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Dunno whether i should mention this as i want to be able to get some but...here goes...Aldi selling Wagyu beef tomorrow for £7

http://www.moneysavi...8;utm_content=3

Max 2 per customer

Sold out by the time the wife got there at 10:45 :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users