TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Widnes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

Ugly!!!

That's all I was going to say but I have to say something about the officals other than ugly - absolutely useless!

I'm done!

#2 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I hope we have a special version on Eagles TV showing all the ineptness of the match officials, it will be a best seller......There is nothing much else to say, even Widnes at times were dissatisfied by the decisions...I bet the match commissioner ran out of his report forms.......
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#3 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

That ref today was 19 YEARS OLD. Why oh why do the RFL insist on sending us (and other Championship clubs) referees who are barely out of nappies. A toddler would have done a better job today.

However inept Mr W Tursey was, the game really came down to one incident IMHO. It was when he blew up for the cheap shot on Sam Barlow when Menze Yere looked like he was going to score. If he'd have allowed play on to see if we got an advantage (we would have scored) then we would have been a minumum of 10 in front, probably 12. I reckon we'd have won then.

Instead, we lost all our momentum, took two points, coughed up possession and it was all downhill from there. That's two matches in a row that we've cocked up from a position where we could, possibly SHOULD, have gone on and won.

Still, it's early days. I hope we smash Widnes when we go to their place tho. Their kit is awful and there's an air of smugness about them that's rather unpleasant.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#4 bingyp

bingyp
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

If the ref was 19 then the TJ on the near side 2nd half is 12.

This was one of the top games in CC all season, certainly the top game today. Why did we get trainees? There are better, more experienced refs in the Pennine league than that pitiful excuse today.

#5 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

I cannot defend the ref and his ineptness but the time Sam was flatened the ref blew immediately, for a change. He did not play advantage because of the incident which he "saw" he acted as he thought it was serious, but that is the only thing which could be said in his favour. Conversations were had by coaching staff and the match commissioner and 4th official and I think if he had "played on" and there were serious repercusions with Sam's injury then everyone would have been up in arms about it. It was a no win situation.

With a penalty count of 13 - 7 in Eagles favour(it was 12 - 4 after 61 mins) I personally believe it should have been more like 24 - 5.

Eagles misdemeanors involved 2 alleged spear tackles, a double move, a professional foul of holding down by Tangi (his sin bin) a high tackle , ripping & interference.

Widnes 5 off sides, late tackle/flop, not releasing ankle whe held,crossing, not square (that should have been about 15 calls not one call),holding down and a couple of high tackles, and failure to dop out over 10 metres line.

The refs signals left a lot to be desired, and the fact he was telling Widnes to move, but then leaving them off-side was dispicable.Anyone can shout get back or move, but Widnes were taking the ........, in the words of a renowned coach, "the time it takes them to release when held called and move when told is like watching paint dry"

There was also an occasion when Widnes atacked that the ref allowed 7 tackles before they scored. Also Gareth Haggerty was causing trouble, interfered with Mitch defending under the posts by holding onto him and then when he released him was able to take the ball on the line for Widnes to score. Haggerty was instigator in many of the "fracas" that took place.

The thing I found appalling was the way that certain Widnes players were having a go at Richie, either when close or when he had the ball,saying "go on cheat"..... The MC said it was totally unjustified and wrong. The ref should have done something about that.

For a bench containing the dozen or so personnel, I found them the most unhelpful and arrogant group of people so experienced during the past 12 months.

A very disappointing crowd of 1085, saw a game spoilt by appalling Widnes tactics and a referee who should have been doing an under 18's match. His performance could not be rated above poor, touch judges were scared to indicate foul/unfair play.

Edited by Eagleraider, 15 March 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#6 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

Letters in todays LE about how Wigan St Pats felt they were diss'ed by widnes and their players - trouble is they think they are SL already lets hope they let another french side in instead laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yes, they do seem to have a chip on their shoulder about Superleague.

Just what the game needs - clubs involved in VAT frauds. dry.gif
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 Johnny Rocco

Johnny Rocco
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (wings beneath my feet @ Mar 15 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Letters in todays LE about how Wigan St Pats felt they were diss'ed by widnes and their players - trouble is they think they are SL already lets hope they let another french side in instead laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thats probably because they never even played Widnes it was St Judes.

Here is a post on the Widnes message board from an official from Wigan St Judes:-

http://www.trustinwi...ic,28132.0.html

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

That kick off is shocking on Eagles TV. It was way over the line.

There were a few other controversial incidents, too.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Eagletarian @ Mar 14 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope we have a special version on Eagles TV showing all the ineptness of the match officials, it will be a best seller......There is nothing much else to say, even Widnes at times were dissatisfied by the decisions...I bet the match commissioner ran out of his report forms.......

We don't need a special version, the edited highlights show them all.....I await with baited breath the outcome of the 'put on report' Gannon\Barlow Assault......The RFL will probably say that Gannon was swatting a wasp around Sam's chin and was saving him from being stung!!!!! Having had second thoughts on the matter, he, Warren Turdley (sic) Wenger (I didn't see it), probable will forget to file a report........

Posted Image

#11 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Eagletarian @ Mar 15 2010, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't need a special version, the edited highlights show them all.....I await with baited breath the outcome of the 'put on report' Gannon\Barlow Assault......The RFL will probably say that Gannon was swatting a wasp around Sam's chin and was saving him from being stung!!!!! Having had second thoughts on the matter, he, Warren Turdley (sic) Wenger (I didn't see it), probable will forget to file a report........

We don't need a special version it was the whole of the second half!

and Johnny Roccola - wigan st pats or st judes - how can you tell one pie eater from another?

Just read the LE again two fans from st judes one not chuffed with the date change the other totally p'ed off with the club and players but not the fans - says I alot I think !

Edited by wings beneath my feet, 16 March 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#12 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (wings beneath my feet @ Mar 16 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just read the LE again two fans from st judes one not chuffed with the date change the other totally p'ed off with the club and players but not the fans - says I alot I think !

Don't think you'll find many Widnes fans who were happy with the change of date either...... and as for the other fan - the silly buggers were in the wrong bar!! rolleyes.gif

I wasn't at the match due to a family 'do', but looking at the highlights I can see why you are upset over the kick off incident - it looks to me to go straight out. There isn't a clear view of the disallowed try but the tj was right there at the time so you have to assume its the correct dicission.

Haggerty was lucky not to walk, and I wont be supprissed if there is a lengthy ban, but whoever tackled Thacks (No. 3??) needs to work on their tequnique before he injurs himself!! It looks to be a clear headbutt into the chest to me.....

Also I'm a bit dubious about the comment from a poster about them calling Ritchie a cheat..... I can only assume Dave Allen wasn't joining in...............

#13 Johnny Rocco

Johnny Rocco
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

and Johnny Roccola - wigan st pats or st judes - how can you tell one pie eater from another?

That post I linked was from the St Judes chairman and he didn't sound very miffed about the players who were mixing with players and fans of the St Judes club in the Bridge suite at the Stobart stadium, it seems like the letter writer was in the social club.

As for the match date changing this is because the original match was called off at 12 o'clock by the REFEREE because of a frozen pitch, nobody connected with the club had a say in that. So the letter writer and you, if your pointing your finger at Widnes over this, should look elsewhere for someone to blame.

#14 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Don't think you'll find many Widnes fans who were happy with the change of date either...... and as for the other fan - the silly buggers were in the wrong bar!!

How nice to have at least one rolleyes.gif

#15 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Eagles file formal complaint over referee............

Sheffield Star Published Date: 22 March 2010

By James Collins

Rugby League

SHEFFIELD Eagles have made a formal complaint to RFL chief executive Nigel Woods over the referee's handling of a game in which forward Sam Barlow was injured by an off-the-ball tackle.
A video of the incident - in which Barlow was left semi-conscious and unable to continue in the game - has promoted more than 2,000 hits on the EaglesTV website.
Coach Mark Aston said the club's directors have questioned why an inexperienced referee, Warren Turley, was put in charge of the high-profile game against Widnes at Don Valley Stadium eight days ago.
"People are looking at that 'tackle'.
"It's the worst incident I've seen in years in rugby league," said Aston.
"Sam Barlow could have been put out for the rest of the season if he had been hit on the jaw with the elbow instead of the top of his head near his eye.
"Sam was knocked off his feet and back 10 yards."
Referee Turley who is in his 20s halted play, stopping centre Menzie Yere scoring an almost certain try which could have extended the Eagles lead to 30-18. Widnes went on to win 44-30.
Widnes forward Gareth Haggerty was put on report and the RFL's disciplinary panel will deal with the case this week.
Aston said: "The referee blew the whistle when we were in the motion of scoring a try and gave us a penalty. I feel he penalised us.
"The Widnes player should have been sent off it should have been an automatic red card."
Aston has had talks with the RFL's Match Officials Director Stuart Cummings.
He added: "The message I get back is that the referee didn't see where the contact was but Sam was thrown through the air.
"I'll bet that he (Haggerty) will get suspended for between two and four games that's not enough for an incident that severe."
Barlow played in the Eagles 22-10 win over Dewsbury Rams on Friday the club's first win in three Championship games this season.
The incident in the Widnes game can be viewed at www.eaglestv.co.uk

Posted Image

#16 sorenson

sorenson
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Its bull anyway, They admitted at least TOC and Smithy went to see them.

I wouldnt worry about Judes anyway myself, They are quick to whine but not very gracious themselves when they are donated a big framed FREE OF CHARGE picture of their big day. Apart from the commitee man I handed it to at Simmies game on Saturday Ive yet to hear from the club itself, Isnt that the same as they are whineing about :?

#17 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

You can't believe the RFL could do this, just look at the game they have given him next....

Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams 6.30pm
Ref W Turley TJ J Ashton TJ D Sharpe RR G Stokes MC J Glover

Posted Image

#18 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

may I send my condolences to both Batley and Dewsbury

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#19 bingyp

bingyp
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

Who is it that allocates refs to matches? Is it Cummins?

Whoever it is, they are not up to the job when they are allocating trainees to top matches.

Mr Turley should be doing U18 matches yet, should be nowhere near CC1.

What's this big rush to get young refs through? Throwing anyone in out of their depth can ruin any prospective career.

#20 Johnny Rocco

Johnny Rocco
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (bingyp @ Mar 26 2010, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is it that allocates refs to matches? Is it Cummins?

Whoever it is, they are not up to the job when they are allocating trainees to top matches.

Mr Turley should be doing U18 matches yet, should be nowhere near CC1.

What's this big rush to get young refs through? Throwing anyone in out of their depth can ruin any prospective career.

Apart from the Haggerty incident and the Sheffield attack on Dave Allen and Yeres head butt what other things did he get wrong. This is a question so can I have normal answers please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users