Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven game

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

In the home games this year Rovers appear to have lost around 300 fans from last season, that is a lot of money.
People have also been saying where in the ground fans should go to get some atmosphere going, fans will all have there prefered position in the ground and dont like changing it. i think the best thing fans can do to get those 300 back and improve the atmosphere is to try and get either a lapsed fan or a new one to the next home game, if every regular brought 1, the crowd would double. got my 1 to go, my father who is one of the missing 4k from headingley

#2 FevDean32

FevDean32
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

I managed to get 2 to come back last season, 1 ended up with a season ticket the other is waiting til it gets warmer before he comes back.
Lets hope our good run of form will bring a few back as well.
If we keep this up and people still stay away i don't think any more can be done.

#3 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

we need people in Fev to be talking about Rovers so others think they're missing out on things if they don't come and watch. We need to get the buzz we all feel to the people who've lost it or never had it.

As a side note, last time we played Whitehaven at home i brought 3 new people with me (1 adult 2 kids) needless to say after the dire performance they weren't hooked and won't try it again.

I hope we do better this time, people are expecting a lot more from us since the Barrow demolision
PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#4 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

i aint got the answer Paul... sad.gif .....free tickets through the door'oles in fev would only result in a clash with the darts n domys int green lane sunday afternoon.....i flippin despair sometimes... mad.gif

Edited by Bob Fowler, 22 March 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#5 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Free tickets to any school who wants them in a 20 mile radius, sweet and pop stall near the Community stand, articles in the Goole and Selby Times with a voucher offer to attract new supporters.
Invite school sports teams from outside the local area to the club to train, play a match, get involved.

Fev residents aren't interested so we have to look further a field.

#6 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Phil Stone @ Mar 22 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Free tickets to any school who wants them in a 20 mile radius, sweet and pop stall near the Community stand, articles in the Goole and Selby Times with a voucher offer to attract new supporters.
Invite school sports teams from outside the local area to the club to train, play a match, get involved.

Fev residents aren't interested so we have to look further a field.

I am from Sharlston and the number of times that we are stopped on our way to the car after the match with the question "Who's won mate?" is unbelievable. To be honest the stumbling block is the 14pounds entrance fee and I do feel that FREE TICKETS given to some Featherstone residents wouldn't go amiss for a few weeks. What is there to lose. I think a fair proportion of fans are from outside the town nowadays and its time someone got the Fev people interested

#7 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

I don't think the club should give away freebies to adults, we aren't a new venture. 14 is nothing for an afternoons entertainment. I'd like to see every kid under the age of 16 get in for free if accompaied by a paying adult. Kids don't have income yet, but they will have, so imprinting them early as Fev Fans will keep a healthy fan base for future years.
we could maybe halve the entry fee for televised games!

Oh and Fev to win Big! like we all now know we can!

Edited by Mick H, 22 March 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#8 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Andrew McNeil is currently doing alot of hard work behind the scenes to try and get the attendances on the up so have faith and I'm sure you'll see some very good deals coming out of the club very soon! I'm told that family ticket deals are already available for the Halifax/Toulouse games so let's hope the people of Featherstone take advantage of these great deals!

If any fans/armchair fans out there work for the police service PM me because there's some very generous offers/deals lined up for the near future!

We currently have a winning team so let's aim to get at least 2000 fans through them gates to support our boys!!!! biggrin.gif

Edited by K.Loxton, 22 March 2010 - 07:13 PM.

No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.
"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

#9 Weeman88

Weeman88
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

It is a shame the Featherstone people don't get behind the team more. I do agree 14 quid is a bit steep, maybe a straight tenner would better and kids come free like last year. I am not too sure on this one but do we do a family ticket? if we don't maybe a family ticket at 25 quid could be done?

#10 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Mar 22 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think the club should give away freebies to adults, we aren't a new venture. 14 is nothing for an afternoons entertainment. I'd like to see every kid under the age of 16 get in for free if accompaied by a paying adult. Kids don't have income yet, but they will have, so imprinting them early as Fev Fans will keep a healthy fan base for future years.
we could maybe halve the entry fee for televised games!

Yeah its usually the 14-16 year olds that are riding round on bikes that are asking me for the score.Why arent these lads inside the ground? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD

#11 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

The kids came in free last year and tickets given out to schools but did it make a big difference ?

The problem is that the majority of people in Featherstone don't come know more for what ever reason. As for the 14 i dont think the club can do it for any less if we are to compete with the other top clubs. How much is it to sit down at Barrow,Leigh,Halifax and Widnes clubs that get more spectators. As for the kids i also bet we are one of the cheapest clubs for them to watch a game and a season ticket is only 30 for home and away.

I will be interested to see what the club do for the televised match because the ground could look empty if it is not promoted.

One thing i would try is that if a child comes to a home match he/she is then given a free ticket for two children to the next match so he can bring his/her friend.

#12 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Bring a friend is the best idea but it's hard to get people to part with 14 if they're not into the mighty Rovers!!!! Halifax would probably offer the best atmosphere to introduce a newbie don't you think biggrin.gif

#13 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Whitehaven fans don't sound too confident this year!!!!!!

http://www.havenfans...hp?topic=6111.0

Let's hope the boys put in another top performance because Haven will be tough, just look what happen last year! rolleyes.gif

#14 George Zip

George Zip
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Mar 22 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
14 is nothing for an afternoons entertainment.

Maybe not to a diehard fan, but to a casual/occasional or speculative supporter, 14 is a lot. Twice already this season, different mates of mine (who are into football) have heard me banging on about fev and said"I might come down at the weekend and we'll make an afternoon of it." One of the two said he was gonna bring his family. Both then said, "How much is it in?" Needless to say, neither came.

I don't know what the solution is, but here are some rough figures. If we achieve, say, 1200 paying adults @14 each - if my quick calculations are correct - that's 16800. Therefore, if we reduced admission to 10, we'd need about 1700 paying adults to achieve the same amount. Is that achievable? I don't know, I'm just offering food for thought.

Also, a new fan attracted by a new price, could stay a fan for years. Also, increased numbers= bigger bar sales, food sales, etc... Conversely, a fan put off by 14, could stay put off for ever.

One thing I do feel strongly about: if this could really be our year, and we have a team on a roll, let's strike while the iron is hot and get as many people as we can through the gates and sharing the excitement.

#15 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

I totally agree that under 16s should be free, they are future paying adults. The Whitehaven poster is free to download but how many have put them up at work yet? Or their local, I just put 5 up at both Asda depots, not sure how long it ll be b4 a cas fan takes em down but the photo copier will stay busy if they do. Everytime I convince a new fan to attend wen we are playing well , the first time they come we have a mare, and they dont return. Lets hope we can stay consistent this year.
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#16 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Theres a college in Pontefract which has students from all over, I dont know if we're working on the students there, but maybe promotion around NEW College is a way to go, It's 7 for students, so there would be more money than just working on High Schools.

Cummins Out.

#17 BlondyRJT

BlondyRJT
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

It is now 9 for a students.

I've said it before but 9 for a student is extortionate, I certainly can't afford it and to be honest I can hardly see where my extra 2 is being spent. Even students who are working part-time would find it difficult to follow the team at home for that price, sadly for most student it comes down to the choice between a few pints down the pub or a game!

The old price of 7 would be more acceptable, it might seem daft but that 2 makes a difference. Luckily for me I have family who are a part of Unison biggrin.gif

Like most on here I think more should be done with the kids to get them interested, they can't get to the ground on their own. Why not have training sessions in schools to get them interested? Evidently players do have work obligations but what about the coaches? As far as i'm aware (though it may have changed) Rovers are the only ones that don't do this. They're losing out on a huge potential target audience. Why not advertise in schools? The family tickets work like a charm.

#18 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

I have followed this thread with interest and many have sound ideas, however, one of the MAJOR problems with young people today is that there are too many "easy" options for them. Many would prefer to sit playing on their PC's i pods games machines or whatever, than to go out on a cold day to watch a live game. I agree we do have to attract more fans . Back in the 50's and 60's we had active supporters branches throughout the area, the one in Hemsworth was operated by my late father. We were offered a group rate for home games which meant we took around 40 - 50 on a regular basis, although transport today is much easier than then.When my dad became a volunteer, he would sit me on the crossbar of his bike and we would cycle from Hemsworth, remember this was through the winter. The attraction was the game, the fact that the teams and fans intergrated and worked with each other.
The experiment of free child tickets has been tried over and over and with a home and away season ticket costing just 35 is a none starter I believe. We have to find ways of spreading the word which many of you appear to be doing, and we need to have consistency on the pitch. I don't have a magic solution as I think the club will have to try different methods. Schools are well informed via Kevin Hobbs and complimentary tickets are available via the schools he visists. We just have to be more pro active in our marketing and make people want to support Rovers. Never give up on YOUR ideas though,who knows one might just be the right solution.

Edited by Bob Fowler, 23 March 2010 - 10:23 AM.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#19 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

How about trying to get some pride back in the town? The main factor for me supporting Fev is that Im from the place and Im proud that such a small community managed to build up a successful professional team that could compete with places like Leeds and Bradford.

A couple of years ago I was with Uni friends from Durham area and fev v sheffield were on telly. He was quite surprised that we actually played teams from places as large as Sheffield. He was amazed when I said we used to play and beat teams like Leeds and Hull at Wembley etc. That really made me quite proud.

Its difficult now because theres less of a community spirit with Fev effectively being a commuter location now. Hardly anyone in the town works there like when everyone worked in mining.

I realise this isnt a solution as such but I think it is the key thing that is missing in getting people in fev back. More needs to be done to foster the towns identity. Rivalries with other towns can help do that and bringing back the seige mentality.

I wonder if something could be done with local businesses, council, community groups to build up that united spirit again. A slogan like 'We are Fev' (or something more thought out) which organisations like pubs, shops etc could buy into and support each other, have blue and white flags everywhere, signs upon entering the town etc.

Its a bit more of a complex approach to "let kids in free" or "put a bouncy castle on" but people need a reason to want to come not an incentive. The rugby should then be a reinforcement of the town pride, youll notice fans of most sports actually care more about the win than the quality of play because of the affiliation with the team. If were expecting just the RL to be the attraction then theyll go to Cas or Wakey cos its generally better quality, like it or not.

Just another quick thought for those poorly supported away games - could we get a link with cas and wakey whereby the rival fans got cheap entry to effectively support the away team. eg when we play Toulouse Cas fans get in for 2, same for us when they play catalans etc. Id certainly go n cheer anyone playing cas for the price of a pint!
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#20 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

I agree with a discount for fans of other clubs even if they don't recipricate. On Sunday I paid 12 to get in to see York play. I wouldn't do it every week that we didn't have a game but for a couple of quid I would. It's not just the entrance fee it's the food, drink, raffle tickets etc that bring in the money.Wouldn't it be great to have a couple of hundred Cas fans in our ground cheering the opposition on.That would improve the atmosphere no end.
As for Fev the town, I don't know what the residents want. Perhaps a slogan might work, flags would be good, posters for forthcoming games in shop windows (maybe the shops would pay a small fee to cover the costs of printing as a way of sponsorship)
Maybe if local shops and businesses became involved fans could try to use those businesses to repay them.I know I try to use firms who advertise in our ground.
Have we tried to canvas opinion in the town to see what we need to do to get them back through the turnstiles?

What would be good is if we can generate more support for our reserves who must be one of the favourites to win the league this season.3 is good value for those who haven't been along.I know it's probably the loyal fans who would be most likely to go to these games and yes it is a drain on resources but perhaps when our team are playing away if fans can't get to the game maybe they could save their money and go along to the reserves instead. For the cost of a pint it is really good value for money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users