Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven game

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

If you look at most sports clubs nowadays, attendance figures are almost always top of their agenda. It's not something that is a FEV problem only. As Tex so rightly says, community spirit is not what it used to be Featherstone is now a commuter town. Houses are being built and marketed as having good links to major cities. Another thing that affects attendances is the number of other activities that are available to people that were not there previously. Back in the day, your local team was the only thing to do on a weekend, with the onset of easy n relatively cheap travel, the options for families are much wider. Until my dad got a car i'd only ever been to the coast on organised trips. Now most people can get there or the countryside in under an hour. Most kids nowadays have computers, games consoles and of course the telly to keep them occupied, going out to a game is no longer a way of life for them. They have the world at their fingertips. I have no idea how to get the crowds back, all a club can really do is put out a successful side, get the advertising right and try and make people want to come.
There is of course the other obvious reason, which this forum has been over before. The running of RL, i can think of at least a dozen former supporters who simply will not come because as far as they are concerned, without promotion and relegation we are just playing 20 odd friendlies and they won't spend their cash on friendlies.
I have said before, i am very worried about the future of RL at semi-pro level. After Widnes are given a license to SL i can see it being many years before another club from our division is admitted, IMO it will be clubs from development areas that get the licenses. I can certainly see a SL without any of our three local clubs.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#22 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Keep putting in good performances and people will start to come back, its not Just 14.00 when I go to a match I have a 80 mile round trip take the grandson buy burgers pop, program, a couple of Golden Gamble tickets, Car park I dont have much change out of 40.00 for a game.

#23 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

If we found the magic formula which would increase attendances, we would make the rugby headlines. Every club, from the top to the amateur leagues are suffering the same problems.IMO,the majority of core support is made up of the older age groups who have been brought up in a rugby environment and who had little or no outside distractions in their younger days, unlike the youth of today. It is going to be one hard slog for everyone I am afraid. What puzzles me is the attempt to be building stadiums with 15,000/20,000 capacities because I personally cannot see, even in future years, that they can acheive such figures. I bring along my son and his boy (both keen Wildcats supporters) when their team are away and I think that by inviting friends and relatives who have an interest in the game, is the way forward. It would appear that for all the efforts by the club, we are not going to get this fringe support from the local community.

#24 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Bob Crowther @ Mar 23 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we found the magic formula which would increase attendances, we would make the rugby headlines. Every club, from the top to the amateur leagues are suffering the same problems.IMO,the majority of core support is made up of the older age groups who have been brought up in a rugby environment and who had little or no outside distractions in their younger days, unlike the youth of today. It is going to be one hard slog for everyone I am afraid. What puzzles me is the attempt to be building stadiums with 15,000/20,000 capacities because I personally cannot see, even in future years, that they can acheive such figures. I bring along my son and his boy (both keen Wildcats supporters) when their team are away and I think that by inviting friends and relatives who have an interest in the game, is the way forward. It would appear that for all the efforts by the club, we are not going to get this fringe support from the local community.

Post of the week

#25 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Bob Crowther @ Mar 23 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said Bob. i think the time will come when clubs are faced with the option of merge or die, and merger will be the only way to keep the game alive at a professional level. hopefully after i'm dead and gone.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#26 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (George Zip @ Mar 22 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe not to a diehard fan, but to a casual/occasional or speculative supporter, 14 is a lot. Twice already this season, different mates of mine (who are into football) have heard me banging on about fev and said"I might come down at the weekend and we'll make an afternoon of it." One of the two said he was gonna bring his family. Both then said, "How much is it in?" Needless to say, neither came.

I don't know what the solution is, but here are some rough figures. If we achieve, say, 1200 paying adults @14 each - if my quick calculations are correct - that's 16800. Therefore, if we reduced admission to 10, we'd need about 1700 paying adults to achieve the same amount. Is that achievable? I don't know, I'm just offering food for thought.

Also, a new fan attracted by a new price, could stay a fan for years. Also, increased numbers= bigger bar sales, food sales, etc... Conversely, a fan put off by 14, could stay put off for ever.

One thing I do feel strongly about: if this could really be our year, and we have a team on a roll, let's strike while the iron is hot and get as many people as we can through the gates and sharing the excitement.

TBH do the club need to be targeting fans that see 14 as too much to spend for a Sunday afternoons entertainment? I'll stick by my words 14 is nothing these days. It may sound harsh but it's a professional sports club not a charitable organisation. For Fev to still be here in 20 years we need folk with brass to spend and who are happy to do so. Infact coming to Fev every other Sunday will save you money in the longrun as a trip to the coast is going to cost you far more than an afternoon watching Fev. We're a heartlands club with a fantastic history so everyone knows what it's about and now we have a team that can do the business on the park you're guaranteed some value for your money.
The clubs problem is that most folk round here are as tight as ducks @rses, which is why most of my business is done in London and abroad these days. If I relied on this area to support my business id have been in the poor house long ago. AAR Much!!! They wont even spend it if they've got it no matter how good it is. It is called by many businessmen "the Poor Mans Triangle"- PMT (doh!)! which is the area between Wakey, Donny and Seffield! It's like a dead zone, they all avoid it like the plague.
People will come if it's cheap, but they'll put nothing into the club and it would just attract an element we don't want!
If you charge peanuts- you get monkeys!

#27 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Mar 23 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH do the club need to be targeting fans that see 14 as too much to spend for a Sunday afternoons entertainment? I'll stick by my words 14 is nothing these days. It may sound harsh but it's a professional sports club not a charitable organisation. For Fev to still be here in 20 years we need folk with brass to spend and who are happy to do so. Infact coming to Fev every other Sunday will save you money in the longrun as a trip to the coast is going to cost you far more than an afternoon watching Fev. We're a heartlands club with a fantastic history so everyone knows what it's about and now we have a team that can do the business on the park you're guaranteed some value for your money.
The clubs problem is that most folk round here are as tight as ducks @rses, which is why most of my business is done in London and abroad these days. If I relied on this area to support my business id have been in the poor house long ago. AAR Much!!! They wont even spend it if they've got it no matter how good it is. It is called by many businessmen "the Poor Mans Triangle"- PMT (doh!)! which is the area between Wakey, Donny and Seffield! It's like a dead zone, they all avoid it like the plague.
People will come if it's cheap, but they'll put nothing into the club and it would just attract an element we don't want!
If you charge peanuts- you get monkeys!

Sorry Mick but you have spent too long with ya customers in London and abroad. As you well know this area is the poor mans triangle because people are earning low wages, not because they are tight. The average wage in this area is only just above national minimum wage. Take home pay for over 80% of the population is less than 230 per week. With all other costs 14 out of that is a lot to these people. I do agree that you have to pitch the entrance fee at a certain level to support the club.

Edited by DMS, 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#28 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Mar 23 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Mick but you have spent too long with ya customers in London and abroad. As you well know this area is the poor mans triangle because people are earning low wages, not because they are tight. The average wage in this area is only just above national minimum wage. Take home pay for over 80% of the population is less than 230 per week. With all other costs 14 out of that is a lot to these people. I do agree that you have to pitch the entrance fee at a certain level to support the club, but the statement "just attract an element we don't want" smacks of snobbery.

I'll tell you what, I'll swap you bank accounts, I know how hard it is to live round here as ive lived round here all my life, I was a coalminer and built my business from nothing. This recession is killing me, I may get 4 decent paid jobs per year from London and the odd booking abroad but in general I aint got a pot to ###### in. If you want to see how skint they all are have a walk around Wakey at 4am thats where the money is going! Most folk round here are tight it's just no ###### dare say so or like me your a snob! I'm just sayinng it as it is- which is another famous Yorkshire trait. But I aint no snob thats for sure. I haven't even had an holiday in three years.
I don't think folk round here have less available cash than anywhere else, they just chose to spend it on other things.

Edited by Mick H, 23 March 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#29 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Bet you could charge a fiver, advertise it for weeks in advance and we'd be lucky to pull in an extra 500. The interest isn't there, especially amongst the residents of Fev. Something else needs to happen at the club, possibly a beer festival or a bikers festival with stalls and maybe a show?
Alternative uses will supplement income and offset the lack of support on matchdays although rugby has to be the number one priority

Edited by Phil Stone, 23 March 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#30 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Mick H @ Mar 23 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll tell you what, I'll swap you bank accounts, I know how hard it is to live round here as ive lived round here all my life, I was a coalminer and built my business from nothing. This recession is killing me, I may get 4 decent paid jobs per year from London and the odd booking abroad but in general I aint got a pot to ###### in. If you want to see how skint they all are have a walk around Wakey at 4am thats where the money is going! Most folk round here are tight it's just no ###### dare say so or like me your a snob! I'm just sayinng it as it is- which is another famous Yorkshire trait. But I aint no snob thats for sure. I haven't even had an holiday in three years.
I don't think folk round here have less available cash than anywhere else, they just chose to spend it on other things.

I'm confused Mick, are you saying people are tight or people are spending all their cash getting bladdered round Wakey. Ya can't have both. Government statistics will show you what the average wage in this area is and it's not great. I think in the end, what ticks me off Mick is the assumption that if you live in FEV you should go to games, Surely if you have available cash you should be allowed to spend it on whatever you want. The bottom line is how do you get these people to games given the present situation. I don't know the answer and i do know the club have tried all the suggestions given in this thread. As for putting the price down, that's a non starter.

Edited by DMS, 23 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#31 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

sell up, and move to a new stadium in ponte.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#32 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Spending money on beer doesn't come under being tight as it's the religion so doesn't fall into that category. They do favour any pub thats a few pence cheeper but thats as far as it goes. The beer budget is never affected. Maybe the players should go out on a Friday night and hand out flyers uptown.

Edited by Mick H, 23 March 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#33 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

I thought that attendances would pick up after the marvellous away win at Halifax last year, but we went and shot ourselves in the foot when we were abysmal in the next home game against Toulouse! That is why it is imperative to win, and win well, against Whitehaven. Then, win lose or draw, we must put in a good performance against Fax. If we can avoid inept home displays like some of last year's horror stories, the stay-aways will slowly drift back.
I feel quite confident that we can achieve all this, because this years squad looks more capable of achieving consistency.
Although giving out free tickets is not the answer, I feel that genuine fans could be trusted to nominate former fans who they believe might come back to the club if they were re-introduced with a free ticket.
I also think that season ticket holders from other clubs should be given half-price admission to the Thursday night televised games, especially against clubs like Toulouse who will bring little travelling support, otherwise the terraces will look bare.

#34 Stephanie Overton

Stephanie Overton
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

I personally couldn't care less how many people come into the ground at a reduced rate in the hope to encourage new supporters or bring back old ones.

Both Martin and I, have for years, bought, and will continue to buy our season tickets but really don't mind any special deals either the club or RFL devise to attract new speccies.

Surely, any fan would like to see a bigger crowd in the hope that half of those that come at a reduced rate will come back the following week and bring a mate or two. If they get the buzz, then they may also buy a season ticket next year.

At the end of the day, I appreciate that over the years, the club have tried alsorts to attract new / old speccies, but I do think it comes down to what happens on the field. If being top of the league doesn't entice people to come along, then nothing will.

#35 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Tex Evans Thigh @ Mar 23 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about trying to get some pride back in the town? The main factor for me supporting Fev is that Im from the place and Im proud that such a small community managed to build up a successful professional team that could compete with places like Leeds and Bradford.

A couple of years ago I was with Uni friends from Durham area and fev v sheffield were on telly. He was quite surprised that we actually played teams from places as large as Sheffield. He was amazed when I said we used to play and beat teams like Leeds and Hull at Wembley etc. That really made me quite proud.

Its difficult now because theres less of a community spirit with Fev effectively being a commuter location now. Hardly anyone in the town works there like when everyone worked in mining.

I realise this isnt a solution as such but I think it is the key thing that is missing in getting people in fev back. More needs to be done to foster the towns identity. Rivalries with other towns can help do that and bringing back the seige mentality.

I wonder if something could be done with local businesses, council, community groups to build up that united spirit again. A slogan like 'We are Fev' (or something more thought out) which organisations like pubs, shops etc could buy into and support each other, have blue and white flags everywhere, signs upon entering the town etc.

Its a bit more of a complex approach to "let kids in free" or "put a bouncy castle on" but people need a reason to want to come not an incentive. The rugby should then be a reinforcement of the town pride, youll notice fans of most sports actually care more about the win than the quality of play because of the affiliation with the team. If were expecting just the RL to be the attraction then theyll go to Cas or Wakey cos its generally better quality, like it or not.

Just another quick thought for those poorly supported away games - could we get a link with cas and wakey whereby the rival fans got cheap entry to effectively support the away team. eg when we play Toulouse Cas fans get in for 2, same for us when they play catalans etc. Id certainly go n cheer anyone playing cas for the price of a pint!

The most sense I have read on here in ages. Town pride is the Key, it ties in the whole community, residents old and new. Rovers history of being the underdog(giant killers) is a great selling point and should be an inspiration to a small town like fev.

One marketing ploy that may have an effect would be to encourage New house builders to buy season tickets, as moving in "presents" for new home buyers. They often leave give flowers champange etc another similar scheme would be to get car dealers involved, my old man supports C*s and got a free season ticket once when he bought a car from west yorkshire motors.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users