Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match officials

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

Featherstone Rovers v Whitehaven 3pm
Ref W Turley TJ L Fellows TJ A Sweet RR N Aspey MC S Taylor

W Turley is the 19 year old ref who Mr Aston complained to the RFL about last week, whoops!

Featherstone Rovers v Halifax RLFC 7.30pm
Ref G Hewer TJ G Hodgson TJ C Dean RR R Dolan MC I Muir
No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.
"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

#2 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

I hope Fev fans cut him some slack.The job is hard enough for experienced referees let alone a 19 year old.
I hope he enjoys the experience and if our players continue their good form then he won't alter the course of the game if he does make mistakes.

#3 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

TBH i have never much cared who the ref is for FEV games. It's not that i think they are all ###### i just believe that the ref has now got too much on his plate. We should be using the assistant referees more. When you think of all the things he has to look out for i'm amazed they don't make more mistakes and miss even more penalties.
Admitted some of them can be over pedantic and a bit petty. But i always feel when we are denied a blatant penalty. "what goes around comes around". Doesn't stop me calling him a useless sod at the time.
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#4 Weeman88

Weeman88
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

Lets face it, who would want to ref! I play football on a sunday morning and give refs stick and same on a sunday afternoon at rovers games ( we all do it really!) But i wouldn't want to ref myself, so fair play to the men in the middle who put up with all the stick they get. I do believe the standard of refs in rugby league isn't the best at the minute though.

#5 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Give the lad a break. At nineteen and being given these relatively high profile games shows he has potential to make it in the game. If he doesn't make a mistake he will be the first ref not to. Good luck to him and lets hope he handles a nice flowing game.

#6 stuart56

stuart56
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Having done the job myself, albeit at a much lower level, you'd think I'd know better, but I'm as bad as anybody for calling the referee during a game. It's amazing how much better their performance looks when the adrenaline stops and I watch the game on DVD later.

Good luck to anyone who takes it on.
< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >