"Rugby"

There are always a lot of contentious posts on here and in the "other place" about the term "Rugby." I went to watch Fev on Thursday and as you come off the M62 at Jct 31 and go under the motorway there's a signpost to "Featherstone Rovers RLFC." I went to my daughter's in Salisbury on Friday evening and as you drive down the A34 past Oxford there's a signpost to "Oxford Rugby Club."

It occurred to me that in cases like Fev, or Hull KR or Rochdale Hornets, or Wakfield or anywhere else for that matter where there's absolutely no ambiguity what it means, why these signs couldn't read e.g Featherstone Rovers RFC or Rugby Club. Wouldn't this be a step in the direction of our game preventing the other lot from claiming total possession of the term "Rugby" as they seem to be trying to? And in the case of the "Rugby World Cup" already have done?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should reclaim the right to use the term. Rugby for me growing up meant League.

By the way, played at Oxford Rugby Club today as its the home of the Cavaliers.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Its a good point.

I'm in the Forces, when I refer to Rugby, everyone I work with thinks I'm referring to kick and clap rugby.

Take this weekend for instance, I'm telling everyone I'm having a weekend away to watch the Rugby. They automatically assume I mean the Army v Navy Union game at Twickenham, when I'm actually referring to Magic Weekend.

Drives me mad sometimes as I cant even watch Union, its ######.

[moderator cap on]

Just to stop the inevitable grumbling and fake outrage, I'm going to try an experiment and leave this here for a while on the rugby league forum. I'm going to see if people are capable of a sensible conversation without willy-waggling and abuse.

ONE post that is, in my subjective opinion, even slightly off-colour and it gets moved to the hell-hole of the cross-code forum. No second chances.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I don't mind the RLFC initials. If that's what a club is called then call it that. The RFU have started to drop the U when they write about clubs - so Halifax RUFC becomes Halifax RFC. As much as I believe we need to reclaim the word rugby and to highlight where it is misused (Shaun Edwards being a prime example) I don't believe we should follow the RFU's disgraceful example and rename clubs on the fly in order to further a cause.

Edited by paley

There are always a lot of contentious posts on here and in the "other place" about the term "Rugby." I went to watch Fev on Thursday and as you come off the M62 at Jct 31 and go under the motorway there's a signpost to "Featherstone Rovers RLFC." I went to my daughter's in Salisbury on Friday evening and as you drive down the A34 past Oxford there's a signpost to "Oxford Rugby Club."

It occurred to me that in cases like Fev, or Hull KR or Rochdale Hornets, or Wakfield or anywhere else for that matter where there's absolutely no ambiguity what it means, why these signs couldn't read e.g Featherstone Rovers RFC or Rugby Club. Wouldn't this be a step in the direction of our game preventing the other lot from claiming total possession of the term "Rugby" as they seem to be trying to? And in the case of the "Rugby World Cup" already have done?

I'll be driving past that in the morning.

I have no objection if the club was formed prior to 1895, but if it was formed after that in my mind it should represent that it's a boring place to watch sport.

These signs don't magically appear once having been created by the anti RL stazi.

To get a sign requires planning permission, which is applied for by the organisation that needs it.

So the person who wrote "Featherstone Rovers RLFC" on the form to send off is responsible and not some global anti RL thought police preventing RL from using the word "Rugby"

It's about brand awareness. For years the RFU and RU have used the words rugby to describe their sport, whilst people in RL, not seeing the benefits of 'that marketing rubbish' continued to refer to itself as rugby league, or even RL.

RL people have let the RU organisations to have ownership of the word rugby. It will take more than a couple of signs outside of RL grounds to change it now.

We can't be helped by having so many terms for our own game within our own game!

Rugby, League, Rugby League, Footy, Football and my least favorite of all "Super League"!

When other sports have decided what they are to be known as it doesn't leave much room for sports which are too weak to have an identity so all manner of different names are used. When even Sky don't think rugby league is a form of rugby it shows what a bad state the identity of the game is in. Try mentioning that rugby league is a form of rugby on an aussie site.

When other sports have decided what they are to be known as it doesn't leave much room for sports which are too weak to have an identity so all manner of different names are used. When even Sky don't think rugby league is a form of rugby it shows what a bad state the identity of the game is in. Try mentioning that rugby league is a form of rugby on an aussie site.

True. Did I imagine it, or did we not have the first "Rugby World Cup" back in 1954? If we did, its time someone grew a pair in Red Hall and claimed it back!

On your last point, I'll take your word for it, its bad enough to occasional one finds there way on here without going looking for forums full of them! :D

Having grown up in the cultural desert that is Lincolnshire I had no interest in either code of rugby. Fast forward a few years and I move to Wales. I now enjoy both codes; both can be exciting or both can be boring. Theres bits of both games I like, bits I dont like. Either way theres room in my life for both.

I cant stand golf, horse racing or tennis but wouldnt begrudge anybody's right to be fans of those sports, its whatever floats your boat at the end of the day.

These signs don't magically appear once having been created by the anti RL stazi.

I never said they did. What I said (and say) is that if the opportunity presents itself the clubs should try and get them altered, where there is no ambiguity that is. For instance I don't think there's a Batley Union club so a sign to Mount Pleasant could say Batley Rugby Club - or Dewsbury Rugby Club. Clubs like Leeds, Saints, Wigan, Bradford have Union equivalents and I suppose the qualification of the word "League" is required.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

until someone high up in the RFL or IRFL make a point of creating something visible that only uses the word RUGBY, nothing will change.. we need a TV programme using the word RUGBY, but without the LEAGUE bit attached.. or a tournament or something else that's highly visible. but i doubt anyone at the RFL deems it neccesary enough. maybe it is, maybe it isnt.. personally my hope is that sometime soon we get terrestrial TV coverage (not bbc or ITV) and the highlights show gets called 'the rugby show'.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The nicknames don't help

When Leigh had a vote and stuck with the awful "Centurions", I was much more in favour of being called "Leigh Rugby" (with est. 1878 under it), and still am. I will support a return to this for the rest of my life.

As I pointed out a few months ago on the Leythers RLfans messageboard, a tiny village club in Surrey now uses "Leigh Rugby"

The problem is that people don't seem to be respecting history much in RL, especially people running the clubs.

Any club formed before 1895 should use purely RFC

The nicknames don't help

When Leigh had a vote and stuck with the awful "Centurions", I was much more in favour of being called "Leigh Rugby" (with est. 1878 under it), and still am. I will support a return to this for the rest of my life.

As I pointed out a few months ago on the Leythers RLfans messageboard, a tiny village club in Surrey now uses "Leigh Rugby"

The problem is that people don't seem to be respecting history much in RL, especially people running the clubs.

Any club formed before 1895 should use purely RFC

I have no issues with using RLFC. I do not want any confusion about the fact that my team are a Rugby League club.

The fact is that Union has convinced people that 'Rugby' is Union, and by referring to our clubs simply as Rugby, it can make their game seem bigger in certain areas. We are Rugby League and think it is right to use the title (just as I think Union should be using Rugby Union as it's title).

A sign not too far from the Featherstone Rovers RLFC road sign says Pontefract RUFC, so it could be a one off.

We should have let them lot have Rugby and us go with a name like League Rules Football.

Cummins Out.

Personally, I quite like the "RLFC" bit. It does exactly what it says on the tin. :D

"Rugby" on the other hand can clearly mean just what anyone wants it to mean, no more, no less. A bit wishy-washy, frankly. However, I don't think we should hand the term to the RFU on a plate. We should stake a claim to the word "rugby", but stick with "RLFC" officially.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

If we were serious about trying to restake a claim to the word "rugby" then I'm not sure that either Fev or Rochdale are going to make much difference.

It's not the clubs - it's the presence of the roadsigns, which for obvious reasons tend to be in prominent positions at motorway junctions. The sign to Wakefield is at the end of the A650 dual carriageway link to the M1. The brown sign to Headingley on the M62 just says "Headingley Stadium" without mentioning the sports that are played there - given that it's a current international cricket stadium I suppose that's understandable.

Are St Helens still St Helens RFC btw? It certainly used to say that at Knowsley Road.

If all the new grounds come off that would be an opportunity too, for Wakey, Salford, and Saints. There is a Union side in Cas on Willowbridge Lane so that might be difficult.

Edited by Trojan

Clement Attlee.

I have no issues with using RLFC. I do not want any confusion about the fact that my team are a Rugby League club.

The fact is that Union has convinced people that 'Rugby' is Union, and by referring to our clubs simply as Rugby, it can make their game seem bigger in certain areas. We are Rugby League and think it is right to use the title (just as I think Union should be using Rugby Union as it's title).

Totally agree with all of that , though I could not give a s**t about the last bit as that game is a total non-starter with me and does not even get a mention, apart that is, when I emphasise then to all and sundry (or anyone caring to hear) that I am a supporter of RUGBY...................League that is, then add firmly, that I have no interest in the union code as it is ######!

Sorry if I have over stated my fake feelings CKN, but infact there is nothing at all faked about them, as I am and remain very serious over the matter.

Musketiers LEAGUE Club Nootdorp was launched on saturday eveing.

YES we have dropped the term rugby,we want no confusion here in Holland and want to let people know we are a LEAGUE club.

Three other teams kick off the Grand Prix Nights (GPN's) season on may 1st.

Gouda Bearcats LEAGUE club,Capelle Spartans LEAGUE club and Haagland Pacific Island Knights LEAGUE club

As the game has a very short history over here we dont think this is a problem and not being associated with the after match pranks that union is known for in Holland, we hope we can attract a better quality of human being. :D

Maybe in the future this will also convince the goverment sports councils (NOC NSF) that LEAGUE is a sport in its own right.

Now we have to hope the bond change the only connection still left which is The Nederland RUGBY League Bond.

England is different I agree, but over here we feel we can develop better by dropping the word rugby.