Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Rugby"

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Personally, I quite like the "RLFC" bit. It does exactly what it says on the tin. biggrin.gif

"Rugby" on the other hand can clearly mean just what anyone wants it to mean, no more, no less. A bit wishy-washy, frankly. However, I don't think we should hand the term to the RFU on a plate. We should stake a claim to the word "rugby", but stick with "RLFC" officially.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

If we were serious about trying to restake a claim to the word "rugby" then I'm not sure that either Fev or Rochdale are going to make much difference.

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Apr 26 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we were serious about trying to restake a claim to the word "rugby" then I'm not sure that either Fev or Rochdale are going to make much difference.

It's not the clubs - it's the presence of the roadsigns, which for obvious reasons tend to be in prominent positions at motorway junctions. The sign to Wakefield is at the end of the A650 dual carriageway link to the M1. The brown sign to Headingley on the M62 just says "Headingley Stadium" without mentioning the sports that are played there - given that it's a current international cricket stadium I suppose that's understandable.

Are St Helens still St Helens RFC btw? It certainly used to say that at Knowsley Road.
If all the new grounds come off that would be an opportunity too, for Wakey, Salford, and Saints. There is a Union side in Cas on Willowbridge Lane so that might be difficult.

Edited by Trojan, 26 April 2010 - 07:26 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#24 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Apr 26 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no issues with using RLFC. I do not want any confusion about the fact that my team are a Rugby League club.

The fact is that Union has convinced people that 'Rugby' is Union, and by referring to our clubs simply as Rugby, it can make their game seem bigger in certain areas. We are Rugby League and think it is right to use the title (just as I think Union should be using Rugby Union as it's title).

Totally agree with all of that , though I could not give a s**t about the last bit as that game is a total non-starter with me and does not even get a mention, apart that is, when I emphasise then to all and sundry (or anyone caring to hear) that I am a supporter of RUGBY...................League that is, then add firmly, that I have no interest in the union code as it is ######!

Sorry if I have over stated my fake feelings CKN, but infact there is nothing at all faked about them, as I am and remain very serious over the matter.

#25 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

Musketiers LEAGUE Club Nootdorp was launched on saturday eveing.
YES we have dropped the term rugby,we want no confusion here in Holland and want to let people know we are a LEAGUE club.

Three other teams kick off the Grand Prix Nights (GPN's) season on may 1st.
Gouda Bearcats LEAGUE club,Capelle Spartans LEAGUE club and Haagland Pacific Island Knights LEAGUE club

As the game has a very short history over here we dont think this is a problem and not being associated with the after match pranks that union is known for in Holland, we hope we can attract a better quality of human being. biggrin.gif

Maybe in the future this will also convince the goverment sports councils (NOC NSF) that LEAGUE is a sport in its own right.

Now we have to hope the bond change the only connection still left which is The Nederland RUGBY League Bond.

England is different I agree, but over here we feel we can develop better by dropping the word rugby.

#26 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

YES we have dropped the term rugby,we want no confusion here in Holland and want to let people know we are a LEAGUE club

Which league? tongue.gif
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#27 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Apr 26 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which league? tongue.gif

Paley my old mucker "League" is a new word in the dutch language and we have claimed it biggrin.gif

#28 Chairman M

Chairman M
  • Coach
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Apr 25 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[moderator cap on]
Just to stop the inevitable grumbling and fake outrage, I'm going to try an experiment and leave this here for a while on the rugby league forum. I'm going to see if people are capable of a sensible conversation without willy-waggling and abuse.

ONE post that is, in my subjective opinion, even slightly off-colour and it gets moved to the hell-hole of the cross-code forum. No second chances.
Hell hole? wink.gif My RU club, Leicester Tigers, is actually called Leicester FC, like Hull FC is. It was formed in 1880, four years before Leicester City FC. So to cut a long story short, the club is known as Leicester FC or just Leicester Tigers. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with any RU or RL club calling themselves RFC.

Leicester Saint

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Chairman M @ Apr 26 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with any RU or RL club calling themselves RFC.

That's all right then. wink.gif

#30 Chairman M

Chairman M
  • Coach
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Apr 26 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's all right then. wink.gif
Well yeah, Geoff.biggrin.gif

Leicester Saint

#31 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

Over here in Carcassonne and around its the symbol - XIII that defines the game. Chez Felix Bar in centre of town has the ASC XIII scrawled on the window. Interestingly the USAP Perpignan club who have just finished top of the Top 14 XV competition here are always in the local L'Independant paper referred to as rugby à XV, the Dragons on the next page as rugby à XIII. Vive le Treize.

Edited by audois, 26 April 2010 - 09:47 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Saint Rich @ Apr 26 2010, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or afterwards, if they wish. Personally, I like it when a rugby club is simply "FC", as with Hull FC.

Me too
QUOTE (Millman @ Apr 26 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the correct name is Gateshull Thundersharks RLFC FC pal.

Less of the RLFC pal

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Apr 26 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not the clubs - it's the presence of the roadsigns, which for obvious reasons tend to be in prominent positions at motorway junctions. The sign to Wakefield is at the end of the A650 dual carriageway link to the M1. The brown sign to Headingley on the M62 just says "Headingley Stadium" without mentioning the sports that are played there - given that it's a current international cricket stadium I suppose that's understandable.

Are St Helens still St Helens RFC btw? It certainly used to say that at Knowsley Road.
If all the new grounds come off that would be an opportunity too, for Wakey, Salford, and Saints. There is a Union side in Cas on Willowbridge Lane so that might be difficult.

Sadly I think that all this would make the casual passer-by think is that Wakey, Salford etc have big time rugby union clubs.

The way things are is that in the North, the word "rugby" can be interpreted as referring to one of two games depending on who you are talking to and where you are. It might always mean "league" in Wigan but this certainly isn't true of the North in general; in many parts of the North it would generally mean "union".

In the rest of the UK, there just isn't any ambiguity (except possibly in Wrexham); if you talk about "rugby" then it almost always going to be understood as meaning "union".

#34 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Apr 27 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly I think that all this would make the casual passer-by think is that Wakey, Salford etc have big time rugby union clubs.

The way things are is that in the North, the word "rugby" can be interpreted as referring to one of two games depending on who you are talking to and where you are. It might always mean "league" in Wigan but this certainly isn't true of the North in general; in many parts of the North it would generally mean "union".

In the rest of the UK, there just isn't any ambiguity (except possibly in Wrexham); if you talk about "rugby" then it almost always going to be understood as meaning "union".

Are the casual passers by in the north different from the casual passers by in the south?
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#35 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Apr 27 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rugby means RL in Wakey - always has done, even when they had a pretty good Union side playing at College Grove. Underwood, Cusworth, Barley, Harrison all played for Wakefield Union at some time in the seventies and eighties. But Wakefield Trinity are a name in RL history and Rugby in Wakey will always mean Trinity. In Fev no explanation is necessary.

#36 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

In Barrovia its always the Soccer or the Rugby .

Does any other town / city that has both codes say those terms to describe the codes / teams ?

#37 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Apr 28 2010, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Barrovia its always the Soccer or the Rugby .

Does any other town / city that has both codes say those terms to describe the codes / teams ?

Before the advent of Leeds Union, "Leeds Rugby" always meant Leeds RLFC as distinct from LUFC, "Wigan Rugby" always meant Central Park too I believe.

#38 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

Rugby is simply a place name in the midlands where the original rules of the handling game were drawn up. Anyone for a game of "Huddersfield"?
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#39 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

It's quite interesting to note that Aberdare (the birthplace of international rugby league / Northern Union) call their rugby union club - Aberdare RUFC. I don't know if this is a hark back to their Northern Union heritage but it's the only RU club in Wales I've seen referred to by themselves in this way.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#40 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (paley @ Apr 27 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are the casual passers by in the north different from the casual passers by in the south?

Err yeah. Them dasrn sarf will be cockerneys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users