"Rugby"

it seems that the way the sport is branded in england by RL people is the problem. not mentioning rugby in the official name is the issue

once you can get your RL officials and commentators to recognize the rugby linkages you can worry about the RFU and australia

to an englishman whose not aware of the history of rugby, the way RL is described causes major problems

What on earth are you on about?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugby is south of Meriden the traditional centre pf England

Or

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2271925.stm

Whatever- its in the Southern half of England

But you're right about it being ######

I have been to Rugby to watch rugby, it was good

Your an Aussie right?

It's people like you who have been historically brainwashed by RU

Just how were they the original form of the game? In 1895 there was one set of rules for Rugby and one governing body. In 1896 there was one set of rules for Rugby and two governing bodies (one which became RU and one which became RL).

If modern day RU was an exact replica of the rules of Rugby in 1895 there might be an argument to say that they have more right. However the rules of modern day RU are also quite different to Rugby as it was in 1985

RU has a clear strategy to manipulate this Rugby terminology, and is using people like you to do that

Im not Australian and im not wrong the northern clubs broke away in 1895 under the banner Northern Rugby Football Union. The term Rugby League wasnt adopted until much later. Anyway all this is irrelevant most people worldwide think of rugby as rugby union. I dont see whats wrong with referring to our sport as Rugby League or RL for short and theirs as Rugby as they do in Australia. To me Rugby has stereotypes of posh, public schooled and dated. I for one like to think we are a pretty modern sport and out coaching methods are far more advanced than theirs. So why would we want to be tarred with the same brush as them?

Im not Australian and im not wrong the northern clubs broke away in 1895 under the banner Northern Rugby Football Union. The term Rugby League wasnt adopted until much later. Anyway all this is irrelevant most people worldwide think of rugby as rugby union. I dont see whats wrong with referring to our sport as Rugby League or RL for short and theirs as Rugby as they do in Australia. To me Rugby has stereotypes of posh, public schooled and dated. I for one like to think we are a pretty modern sport and out coaching methods are far more advanced than theirs. So why would we want to be tarred with the same brush as them?

For 100 years anybody who played rugby league was banned from union because they were professional rugby players. Now that union is openly pro union people often claim that rugby has only been played professionaly since 1995. You might think history is bunk but you are wrong.

I have been to Rugby to watch rugby, it was good

Coventry Bears played the Royal Artillery on the pitch at the "Close" in the first ever game of real rugby to be played there. The Close was where the game of rugby was supposedly invented.

It was part of the launch for the 2000 World Cup. The game was followed by an England V Australia veterans game.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

well at least the nrl actually includes the r in its naming

you talk about the RFU stealing your heritage yet your game doesnt include the term rugby in its naming

RFL has the name rugby in its title, it's the first word. I understand you're just point scoring Dally, but you really ought to get your facts right. As already pointed out the word rugby appears on the SL logo and (I think) also on the trophy. Are you suggesting they shouldn't have come up with a different name for the competition and just called it the RFL? Just naming the comp after the ruling body would show a lack of imagination, surely?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

RFL has the name rugby in its title, it's the first word. I understand you're just point scoring Dally, but you really ought to get your facts right. As already pointed out the word rugby appears on the SL logo and (I think) also on the trophy. Are you suggesting they shouldn't have come up with a different name for the competition and just called it the RFL? Just naming the comp after the ruling body would show a lack of imagination, surely?

im just stirring paley for his inclusion of australia in his tirade.

I just find their ignorance irritating. However they can hardly be blamed when their leaders are so weak.

yeah, good point, instead of trying to grow revenues and expand the nrl, david gallop should start a campaign to get australian RL fans to call their game the same terminology used by elderly english RL fans

terminology that the RL media in england seem to largely ignore

yeah, good point, instead of trying to grow revenues and expand the nrl, david gallop should start a campaign to get australian RL fans to call their game the same terminology used by elderly english RL fans

terminology that the RL media in england seem to largely ignore

What are you on about now? Who is ignoring it?