Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jason Demetriou

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Looking for a new club next season. Wakefield not offering him a contract.

#2 FEV-KT87

FEV-KT87
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

get that boy signed up
YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

#3 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Phil Stone @ Jun 14 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking for a new club next season. Wakefield not offering him a contract.
Thank god for that.
To be fair he has given his all to Wakey but time has caught up with him at SL level.
He we be a very good NL player.

#4 Rob Hemmi

Rob Hemmi
  • Coach
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

Seen him comin out of dp's office wearing a fev hat and scarf, read into that what you will.

Edited by Rob Hemmi, 14 June 2010 - 11:16 AM.

Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

#5 Laminated Lobster

Laminated Lobster
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (SUPERSTUD @ Jun 14 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank god for that.
To be fair he has given his all to Wakey but time has caught up with him at SL level.
He we be a very good NL player.

Hmmm. He's been a good player and has given his all to Wakefield, no doubt. Certainly one of the first names on the team-sheet.

However, my Wakefield-supporting friends all reckon "his legs have gone" and "he would be best retiring".

#6 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

35 in January and past it

If this is talk of Fields replacement, why are we looking at players that are years older than Jamie?

#7 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,037 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

The policy for recruitment at rovers has not been tto scour SL clubs for players coming to the end of their effectiveness or playing out their days in the championship. Halifax are not averse to going down that route with Aizue and Stanley et al (and we weren't bothered about stanley). Whilst the signing of established, proven but ageing players can have a massive impact on a clubs success, they are not without greater risks. Those players tend to come with significant wage demands too!
I'm not sure what more he would bring to our team. - but then again "Liam Finn, what we signing him for" (Evans. R 2010). Look how that turned out. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Jun 14 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The policy for recruitment at rovers has not been tto scour SL clubs for players coming to the end of their effectiveness or playing out their days in the championship. Halifax are not averse to going down that route with Aizue and Stanley et al (and we weren't bothered about stanley). Whilst the signing of established, proven but ageing players can have a massive impact on a clubs success, they are not without greater risks. Those players tend to come with significant wage demands too!
I'm not sure what more he would bring to our team. - but then again "Liam Finn, what we signing him for" (Evans. R 2010). Look how that turned out. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Fev have always had good value our of "past it" players from bigger clubs. Harris last season for starters, but Carl Gibson, Jeff Grayshon and Chris Burton spring immediately to mind. Ray Handscombe at Wembley in 1983?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 ROVERS83

ROVERS83
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

not for me-but i was wi robin on liam finn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe

#10 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Laminated Lobster @ Jun 14 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm. He's been a good player and has given his all to Wakefield, no doubt. Certainly one of the first names on the team-sheet.

However, my Wakefield-supporting friends all reckon "his legs have gone" and "he would be best retiring".
To be honest mate i cannot really argue against your friends assessment.
The thing is a like JD because i honestly feel that he is a very honest player who has given his all.

From a personal point of view i have found it sad watching his SL demise recently and i liken it to the boxer who does not want to call it a day.

Whatever JD decides to do i wish him all the best and thanks for being a great servant to the club.

#11 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

The question has to be is there anyone better out there who will be available and can we afford Demetriou if not?
There is an option to sign him on a rolling one year contract but he might be looking for a SL club, possibly Salford before considering a drop down a division.

#12 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Cannot see him contributing anything extra to our team. Has had a shocking season,IMO. We want young blood who are prepared to play for the shirt. Why give ageing SL players opportunities when we can match them from our second string.

#13 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Jun 14 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont berate yourself Robin. After all, he was one of the squad that took us down. Playing like a heroe now. Different coaching set up? etc ,etc.

#14 Laminated Lobster

Laminated Lobster
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jun 14 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fev have always had good value our of "past it" players from bigger clubs. Harris last season for starters, but Carl Gibson, Jeff Grayshon and Chris Burton spring immediately to mind. Ray Handscombe at Wembley in 1983?

Just going to add 2 words to that fine list:
CYRIL KELLETT

#15 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,037 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jun 14 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they have LL, you are indeed correct, tho I'm not sure how effective Jeff was in his days under peter fox. Never appear to dominate his opposition prop but just the ticket when the biff started!! laugh.gif - well, he used to start it!!! laugh.gif

What I ought to have said was - currently, it doesn't appear to be the policy to recruit SL players at the end of their careers.

A Wellam, Manning, etc - youthful and eager.
A Grayshon, Hardman Morrisson- proven players - maybe had a go at Sl. Quality for our level.
A Spears - Best value forrad in't league.
A Finn - Not going to embarrass myself anymore on that one - what a season!

I honestly can't see what JD would bring to our team. - not for me!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#16 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'd certainly like to see him on board, I know what everyone is saying about bringing the youth through but a guy like JD has a wealth of experience behind him and plenty to offer the young lads in that department. He's aggressive and in your face too and the only thing i think we lack at the moment is a true stand offy type loose forrad! Which he is now!

#17 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Laminated Lobster @ Jun 15 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CYRIL KELLETT

Can I throw Abe Terry into the mix as well?

Edited by frankj, 15 June 2010 - 09:47 PM.

#18 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

I do not believe that Jason Demetriou could offer any more to the team than we already have lined up for next season. He has been a good "honest" player but we have to look at the way loose forwards are being used nowadays. I accept that daryl is our coach and will bow to his decisions, however, we need to go forward and the younger players coming through are the way forward. All the way to Super League.
To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#19 Rob Hemmi

Rob Hemmi
  • Coach
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Three years ago we would have been drooling at the prospect, I'd still have him, class player and I'd rather have him playing for us, rather than against us. Richard slater type of mould!

Sign him

Edited by Rob Hemmi, 16 June 2010 - 12:26 PM.

Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

#20 ROVERS83

ROVERS83
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Laminated Lobster @ Jun 15 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CYRIL KELLETT

nice one
is there life beyond fev--- andy thorpe