Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What really is the point? Don't bother Lads.......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

We would have even less incentive.....

Warrington Wolves coach Smith wants Super League cut
Tony Smith hopes fewer games will also help the England team in future

Warrington coach Tony Smith has called for a reduction in teams in Super League to improve the quality of play.

Smith believes more fans would like to see games with a higher intensity.

"Maybe the reduction of teams and the reduction of the number of games, rather than numbers of both," Smith told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"You get more high quality teams and they play less time and with a higher intensity. We'd probably get a better spectator sport rather than numbers."

Smith was speaking after watching St Helens beat local rivals Wigan 26-24 on Sunday in a match that will be long remembered for its good rugby and end-to-end drama.

Super League was expanded from 12 to 14 teams in 2009, but Smith insists the quality of matches could be better if the league were reduced 12 or even 10 clubs.

"I think it would be a good thing for us," Smith continued. "It's tough to spread all the quality players over all the teams at the moment.

"While there has been some upsets, most teams need to play well on their day, but we'd rather see higher intensity games at that sort of level.

"It's hard for the players to do that week-in, week-out, but the closer we can get to it, the better the competition will be and the better it would be for the England players as well.

"I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but fewer games may spell for bigger crowds as well."
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

"Quality" as defined by a coach and "quality" as defined by a spectator are two different things.

Edited by Griff, 23 June 2010 - 09:14 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I've already posted on the Fev forum, why not 'reduce' it to 2 leagues of 10 wink.gif
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#4 wings beneath my feet

wings beneath my feet
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

would his view be the same if it was his club that was likely to get kicked out - I think not - less teams in super league more money for the few and for the fewer coaches namely mr smith - would it produced better england players - well it didn't before - sod off back to oz!

#5 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Smith overrated as a coach
Mc Namara-trying to persuade an Aussie to play for England (ok he qualifies through family but he's still an Aussie)

The best way to improve standards is to reintroduce promotion and relegation so the bottom clubs have something to play for, making their players up their game and championship clubs will strive to finish top, improving playing standards pushing SL players who are in a comfort zone at the moment (according to a Wakey fan). Oh, and while we're at it cut back the number of overrated Aussie players who seem intent on picking up one last big pay day before disappearing back home.

2 teams of 10? Super League 2? Just the championship re-branded with a few SL clubs kicked out into our division.That would mean 4 championship teams dropping down a division which could have dire consequences.

What the championship clubs should do if the RFL want to reduce the number of teams is to refuse to accept them straight into the Championship unless they start in Championship 1 or let them come back only if an improved deal for Championship/1 clubs can be negotiated and promotion relegation is reintroduced.

As it stands if there is no promotion to SL then there can't be any relegation can there?

#6 barrowtilidie

barrowtilidie
  • Coach
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Maybe he has a point?
scrap franching, and re-boot the leagues, Reform them?
10 in super
10 in league 1
10 in league 2
10 in league 3
(confrence)
then like the football style, shrink it down all the way to north west counties etc?
with T.v money spread equally through all clubs, And promotion etc, would make it alot fairer, and more intense matches.

#7 anok4u

anok4u
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

i wonder if he would think that if warrington where one of the teams kicked out?
go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

#8 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (barrowtilidie @ Jun 25 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe he has a point?
scrap franching, and re-boot the leagues, Reform them?
10 in super
10 in league 1
10 in league 2
10 in league 3
(confrence)
then like the football style, shrink it down all the way to north west counties etc?
with T.v money spread equally through all clubs, And promotion etc, would make it alot fairer, and more intense matches.

I could live with that, it would narrow the gap from Championship and SL. You would have to adjust the salary caps aswell though.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users