Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Royce Simmons to coach Saints?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

According to Andy Wilson at the guardian:

click here

Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#2 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Be interesting to see if this happens. Simmons was hardly a great success as a coach before.

Fasavalau is a bit of a suprise, I thought he was settled as a naturlised Englander.

#3 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be interesting to see if this happens. Simmons was hardly a great success as a coach before.

Fasavalau is a bit of a suprise, I thought he was settled as a naturlised Englander.

I think his reasoning is that hes spent 7 years as assistant to Sheens at Tigers and Australia national side since his penrith coaching days. The appointment wouldnt fill me with excitement to be honest, but I guess Maguire's "success" at Wigan has reignited the fashion for appointing assistant coaches from the NRL.

As for Fa'as, likely that hes still going to be in the UK, Harlequins RU is his likely destination. He may be pulling on the England RU jersey before we know it!

Edited by TheChief, 29 June 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#4 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (TheChief @ Jun 29 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think his reasoning is that hes spent 7 years as assistant to Sheens at Tigers and Australia national side since his penrith coaching days. The appointment wouldnt fill me with excitement to be honest, but I guess Maguire's "success" at Wigan has reignited the fashion for appointing assistant coaches from the NRL.

As for Fa'as, likely that hes still going to be in the UK, Harlequins RU is his likely destination. He may be pulling on the England RU jersey before we know it!

Wouldn't suprise me if Fasavalu was going to follow Hape and Vainakolo into the Red Rose setup! mellow.gif

Simmons would be the cheap option, but I think Saints need a bigger name coach to take them into the new stadium and manage the ego's of Graham, Wellens and Wilkin.

#5 FearTheVee

FearTheVee
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simmons would be the cheap option, but I think Saints need a bigger name coach to take them into the new stadium and manage the ego's of Graham, Wellens and Wilkin.

laugh.gif

You'll never meet a more down to earth bloke than Paul Wellens.

#6 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (FearTheVee @ Jun 29 2010, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

You'll never meet a more down to earth bloke than Paul Wellens.

Off the pitch I believe he is a really nice guy. On it he annoys the hell out of me with his arm waving and gestures when he gets skinned.

#7 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't suprise me if Fasavalu was going to follow Hape and Vainakolo into the Red Rose setup! mellow.gif

never met Wellens have we.

#8 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What egos?

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

...manage the ego's of Graham, Wellens and Wilkin.

I like how a few have criticised Wendy about mentioning Wellens.

Graham or Wilkin?

Nah, fair enough there.

biggrin.gif

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off the pitch I believe he is a really nice guy. On it he annoys the hell out of me with his arm waving and gestures when he gets skinned.

Same as Briers annoys you when he does it constantly?

#11 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair he doesn't just save it for the ref, if you watch the highlights from the Salford game you'll see plenty of arms waving and gesturing at the poor defense in front of him. He's also not unknown for waving his hands at himself. I think he's just peeved every time someone other than Saints scores. Thats what you get when you employ lads off the terraces.

Lets face it as fans we want to see players who care, for our own side it shows passion for the opposition it's annoying, and for the neutral it's as funny as hell seeing someone get so het up over very little.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#12 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Anyway back to the rumour mill, the coach seams to have some experience bringing youth through into West Tigers and we need that with the amount that Potter has brought through, very well I might add in the last 2 years.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#13 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What egos?

I just think from the Potter era at Saints that the players seem to think they are bigger than the coach and have a devine right to show who's boss.

Its obvious that at the club the coach is not liked by the players, thats why he is leaving.

#14 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

I know Royce really well - he's a great guy and a great coach, who I'm sure would do an excellent job.

Don't forget Penrith won the NRL only a year or so after Royce was sacked - he played a large part in bringing through the players who eventually won the premiership.
He's excellent with young players, who really look up to him, so I'm sure he'd do well at bringing through saints' youngsters.

He's been really keen to go back to England ever since leaving Hull.

If you want to know how committed a coach he is, remember he ran five marathons in five consecutive days when he was coach at Hull, to raise money for the club to sign Des Hasler. That's some achievement

Edited by DiH68, 30 June 2010 - 05:37 AM.

#15 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (TheChief @ Jun 29 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maguire was a young coach on the way up

simmonds tried and failed.

meninga wants the job too

#16 FearTheVee

FearTheVee
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jun 29 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just think from the Potter era at Saints that the players seem to think they are bigger than the coach and have a devine right to show who's boss.

Its obvious that at the club the coach is not liked by the players, thats why he is leaving.

Well, I assume the players at Wire don't like Smith, seeing as though they have the same number of points as Saints with a supposedly better squad and fewer injuries?

Why is it obvious the coach is not liked by the players? And how do you know that is why he's leaving?

#17 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jun 30 2010, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maguire was a young coach on the way up

simmonds tried and failed.

meninga wants the job too

Apparently Meninga has stated that he isnt interested in a full time coaching role and wants to stay down under.

#18 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

Saints have never gone for a big name coach. The last time they actually prised a head coach from a club was Millward, Hanley, Anderson and Potter were without a club when employed.

#19 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Jun 30 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints have never gone for a big name coach. The last time they actually prised a head coach from a club was Millward, Hanley, Anderson and Potter were without a club when employed.

I think Potter would have stayed at Catalan if Saints hadnt been in the market for him.

#20 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (TheChief @ Jun 30 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently Meninga has stated that he isnt interested in a full time coaching role and wants to stay down under.

hes twice said he is interested in coaching st helens full time, as recently as 1 week ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users