Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

When Push Comes to Shove

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jun 30 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that the "wonderful community" has been broken then?

I think 'broken' is perhaps going too far, but it's certainly different, in the same way that society in general has changed since those days.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#22 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 1 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're right - my brain hurts with RL at the moment. I've got loads of reading to do secularly at the moment as well so I'll save my RL stuff for my holiday.

The photo you mention isn't in my edition so I guess that's in the other volume. I'll have to track it down on Amazon/Ebay. It's hard to choose a favourite but I like the photograph on page 101, which shows fans standing on a terrace watching a game but in the distance looming over everyone and everything are the cranes of heavy industry (I have no idea where this photo was taken but I'd like to know). These two things: the cranes, the RL match, inextricably linked to the social history of the sport's traditional heartlands. And when I see pictures of the shirts with the sponsor British Coal emblazoned across them, I appreciate that the game was/is part of the socio-political history of these communities. Brilliant.

If you are particularly interested in the social history of the sport I suggest you get hold of Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain by Tony Collins, and even A Social History of English Rugby Union by the same author (the union one is a good cross refernce, as the two codes, in their early days were obviously very closly connected).
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#23 Captain Halifax

Captain Halifax
  • Coach
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Travel the grounds of the Championship and Championship 1 on a Sunday afternoon and I know you will find this community anything but 'broken.'

It is the single most important thing that keeps me (after 37 yrs) supporting Halifax.

(Note to self - must learn how to quote other folks' posts).

#24 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are particularly interested in the social history of the sport I suggest you get hold of Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain by Tony Collins, and even A Social History of English Rugby Union by the same author (the union one is a good cross refernce, as the two codes, in their early days were obviously very closly connected).

I am interested in the social historical aspects of the game so thanks for the recommendations. I'm sure that Tony Collins was the academic on BBC's Super League show the other week, discussing the Heritage centre in Huddersfield - great place, I need to go there.

#25 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are particularly interested in the social history of the sport I suggest you get hold of Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain by Tony Collins...

I wouldn't. He doesn't even know which clubs attended the meeting at the George Hotel. If he gets that fundament wrong, who knows what else is incorrect in there?

I gave up reading it at that point.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 1 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're right - my brain hurts with RL at the moment. I've got loads of reading to do secularly at the moment as well so I'll save my RL stuff for my holiday.

The photo you mention isn't in my edition so I guess that's in the other volume. I'll have to track it down on Amazon/Ebay. It's hard to choose a favourite but I like the photograph on page 101, which shows fans standing on a terrace watching a game but in the distance looming over everyone and everything are the cranes of heavy industry (I have no idea where this photo was taken but I'd like to know). These two things: the cranes, the RL match, inextricably linked to the social history of the sport's traditional heartlands. And when I see pictures of the shirts with the sponsor British Coal emblazoned across them, I appreciate that the game was/is part of the socio-political history of these communities. Brilliant.

Both editions are on sale separately on EBay at present.

(Not mine - wouldn't sell 'em!)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

If you can't find these books on Amazon or Ebay then try Abe.com, which is a collection of small booksellers. You can pretty much find any book at all on there.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 1 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am interested in the social historical aspects of the game so thanks for the recommendations. I'm sure that Tony Collins was the academic on BBC's Super League show the other week, discussing the Heritage centre in Huddersfield - great place, I need to go there.
Yes, that was Tony Collins, and I loved the look of that place.

I have been meaning to go for the ast few years and never got round to it, really need to make the effort!

#29 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Jul 2 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can't find these books on Amazon or Ebay then try Abe.com, which is a collection of small booksellers. You can pretty much find any book at all on there.

Great website - really useful.
Cheers.

#30 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 2 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that was Tony Collins, and I loved the look of that place.

I have been meaning to go for the ast few years and never got round to it, really need to make the effort!

I thought it was him.

You're right, the museum looks like a good place to visit - I'll see if I can go before the end of the summer.

#31 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

Cofi, this Sunday might be a good time to visit the Heritage Centre, as you could combine it with a visit to the Galpharm to watch Crusaders play Huddersfield.
One other good book to put on your list, if you do not already have it, is "Tries In The Valleys". Published by London League Publications (www.llpshop.co.uk) in 1998 it is a history of Rugby League in Wales, written by Peter Lush and Dave Farrar with a foreword by Jonathan Davies.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#32 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Geoff Lee @ Jul 6 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cofi, this Sunday might be a good time to visit the Heritage Centre, as you could combine it with a visit to the Galpharm to watch Crusaders play Huddersfield.
One other good book to put on your list, if you do not already have it, is "Tries In The Valleys". Published by London League Publications (www.llpshop.co.uk) in 1998 it is a history of Rugby League in Wales, written by Peter Lush and Dave Farrar with a foreword by Jonathan Davies.

I didn't know about this book - another one to put on my reading list!

I'm leaving for Italy this weekend with work so I won't be able to go to Huddersfield this time but I will make the effort soon.

Thanks very much Geoff - appreciate it.

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jul 1 2010, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think 'broken' is perhaps going too far, but it's certainly different, in the same way that society in general has changed since those days.

It'd be interesting if they did a Volume 3, I think the contrasts in fortunes of clubs as echoed in many of the threads on here would make for an interesting read.

Clearly they are popular books so you'd think there'd be enough demand for another one.

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Jul 6 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'd be interesting if they did a Volume 3, I think the contrasts in fortunes of clubs as echoed in many of the threads on here would make for an interesting read.

Clearly they are popular books so you'd think there'd be enough demand for another one.

Well the original publications needed subscribers to kick them off, but you may be right, there might be a viable market today.

One for Scratching Shed to look into I would have thought.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users