Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

grounds used for professional league

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jun 30 2010, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GB definitely played Australia at the Reebok. Kent/Southend Invicta played at Maidstone FC (not sure of the name of the ground) and Roots Hall. New Hunslet played at the Elland Road Greyhound Stadium and Hunslet also played at Elland Road Stadium (home of Leeds Utd)

Maidstone - London Road?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#22 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

so what have we got so far.

To my original list I overlooked
Darlington even though I was at the game;
Boothferry Park
Salford Fc, Moor Lane
Thrum Hall
Maine Road
Elland Road
Workington FC

When was Elland Road dog track used?

Any confirmation on Reading, was this the Madjeski or the old ground Elm Park
Did South Wales use Ebbw Vale

Thats over 130 now and I bet there are still more to come.

Most of these post date the grounds of rugby league book rather than predate it.

There seem to be few football league grounds not used in the heartlands, Burnley, Everton and Tranmere plus Accrington on the fringes are all in Lancashire. What about Stockport? everyone in Yorkshire ( unless you count Middlesbrough which would be a thread of it's own) has staged games

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Mike S @ Jun 30 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boothferry Park
Salford Fc, Moor Lane
Thrum Hall
Maine Road
Elland Road
Workington FC

Most of these post date the grounds of rugby league book rather than predate it.

You obviously haven't read the book! wink.gif

How about Broughton Rangers, St Helens Recs, Liversedge, Heckmondwike, Streatham & Mitcham, Pontefract, Morecambe, Stockport, Leeds Parish Church etc?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

....also, Bramley played at the Barley Mow and McLaren Field, which weren't one and the same despite what some may believe.

Hunslet played at Mount Pleasant for a season, as did Dewsbury for at least two seasons.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Mike S @ Jun 30 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The greyhound stadium was used in the 1970's, they were called New Hunslet at the time if my memory is correct.

London played Widnes at Aberavon RFC.

Also Charity shield games at Douglas IOM, Swansea, Anfield and think one was played in Dublin.

Edited by Jill Halfpenny fan, 30 June 2010 - 07:58 PM.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#26 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Widnes played at Runcorn when the ground was getting redeveloped.
Both Huyton and Liverpool City have played home games at Widnes as Wigan did in the play offs.

#27 The Vet

The Vet
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

after Tattersfield in the mid 90's Doncaster played at some dog track,was that called Stainforth?

Posted Image

This My Friend Is A Broom-Handled Mouser

#28 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Jun 30 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You obviously haven't read the book! wink.gif

How about Broughton Rangers, St Helens Recs, Liversedge, Heckmondwike, Streatham & Mitcham, Pontefract, Morecambe, Stockport, Leeds Parish Church etc?

I have read the book and it has pride of place on one of my bookshelves. it was published in 1991 and of the 130 plus grounds we have listed over 100 have been used since.

Clubs obviously moved around in the early days and the total from say 1895 to 1914 would be substantial but only of interest to the historian. I started by using 1980 as the time I first saw a game and the time when new clubs started to appear and the rate of ground change sped up.

Fulham/Quins/ London are on 12 in 30 years and I have missed both Griffin park and Harlequins from the list and Sheffield are not find behind. I also need to add the Stoop to the total. In the period 1950 to 1980 only Liverpool. Huyton probably used more than 2 to 3

#29 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Jun 30 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....also, Bramley played at the Barley Mow and McLaren Field, which weren't one and the same despite what some may believe.

Hunslet played at Mount Pleasant for a season, as did Dewsbury for at least two seasons.

If I remember correctly, McLaren Field was built on the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow. Also they played a couple of seasons at Headingley and maybe one at Leeds RU ground - perhaps if Cliff Spracklen's lurking around here he could confirm this. Oh, and Maidsone's ground was London Road (demolished now).

#30 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Jul 1 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I remember correctly, McLaren Field was built on the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow. Also they played a couple of seasons at Headingley and maybe one at Leeds RU ground - perhaps if Cliff Spracklen's lurking around here he could confirm this. Oh, and Maidsone's ground was London Road (demolished now).

McLaren Field was a swift sideways next to the Barley Mow. The historic Barley Mow pub which held the coriginal changing rooms is still there, now adorned on the outside with the Blue Plaque, commemorating the first ever tour game in the UK in 1907.
Bramley did play initially at Clarence Field , Kirkstall, which had been the ground for headingley RUFC. This is where the Leeds Rugby training centre now is located.
After that they moved in the late 1990's to Headingley where they were effectively Leeds Rhinos second team, the previous directors having sold McLaren Field for housing much earlier, before then selling a majority shareholding to a shareholder connected to a Super League club. The club was then closed suddenly in 1999, before a brand new fans owned club was created in 2000.

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Jun 30 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bradford also @ Welford Road (Leicester Tigers) and also Tynecastle (Hearts). The second is an on the road match circa 98 me thinks. Do these count?

The Welford Rd game was actually a home game for the London Broncos.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hull FC have played at Craven Street, the Boulevard and the KC. I think they also played at the Circle Anlaby Road.

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jun 30 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive seen...

Oldham v Fev at Maine Road (1987)

I don't remember Fev playing Oldham at Maine Road in 1987. I remember them playing Oldham at Old Trafford in 1988. They played their home league game in 1988 at P O Road and the away game a week later at Watersheddings.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#34 swanson_56

swanson_56
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Gateshead Thunders home games have been played at:

Gateshead Stadium
Kingston Park
Darlington FC
Percy Park RFC
Gateshead Fell RFC
Monkton Stadium (Jarrow)
Tynecastle (Edinburgh)
Also Hilton Park (Leigh), we couldnt get our stadium so just played the fixture at Leigh, it wasnt a reversal as the away game was there too.

#35 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Mike S @ Jun 30 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boothferry Park
Salford Fc, Moor Lane
Thrum Hall
Maine Road
Elland Road
Workington FC

There seem to be few football league grounds not used in the heartlands, Burnley, Everton and Tranmere plus Accrington on the fringes are all in Lancashire. What about Stockport? everyone in Yorkshire ( unless you count Middlesbrough which would be a thread of it's own) has staged games

The Madejski was used for a World Cup game involving New Zealand in last WC played in UK. The Paul brothers appeared at a Reading football game to help promote it by performing their single !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#36 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 1 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't remember Fev playing Oldham at Maine Road in 1987. I remember them playing Oldham at Old Trafford in 1988. They played their home league game in 1988 at P O Road and the away game a week later at Watersheddings.

January 1987, Oldham switched their home game against us to Man City's ground. You're talking about the following season.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#37 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Jun 30 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wakefield COULD count as 2, using Oakwell just once.

twice once in the old division 1 V Sheffield and then STS in SL
Posted Image

#38 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jul 1 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
January 1987, Oldham switched their home game against us to Man City's ground. You're talking about the following season.

Ah. I knew that both League fixtures in the 87/88 season were in '88, because a. I went to both and b. I've a video of the Watersheddings game. I also went to Old Trafford. I must admit I don't remember the Maine Road game. Both Oldham and Fev must have been relegated that season, even though I remember Oldham knocking Wigan out of the cup in the snow.

#39 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Apologies if its already been stated but there was a GB game at Blackburn.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#40 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Jul 1 2010, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apologies if its already been stated but there was a GB game at Blackburn.

There've been GB games at the Reebok too, and Loftus Road, for that matter. There were also cup semi finals and JP semis and finals at the old Burnden Park. And of course the old Boothferry Park.
Didn't Wigan play Warrington at Green Bay Packers ground?

Edited by Trojan, 01 July 2010 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users