Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be getting it? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be getting it?

1. Yep (24 votes [77.42%])

Percentage of vote: 77.42%

2. Nope (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD ISSUE 352 AUGUST 2010

For the first time, Welsh rugby union legend Gareth Thomas talks publicly to a fellow professional player, our resident Super League star Jamie Jones-Buchanan about his life on and off the field and his enthusiasm for his newly chosen sport of Rugby League. RLW also investigates the potential for other big names to follow his lead and discovers that there is already heavy traffic between the codes beyond the professional ranks.

Is it really 40 years since Great Britain last won a series against Australia? RLWs resident professor and official RFL historian Tony Collins takes us back to happier days, while Dave Hadfield catches up with one of the prime movers and shakers of the 1970 Ashes triumph, Frank Myler.

RLW was lucky enough to spend a morning in the considerable presence of the one and only Alex Murphy OBE, a bona fide British Rugby League living legend. Alex answers your questions in the Guest Room

Phil Larder questions the value of the England v France Rugby League mid season international.

Terry Newton pulls Dave Hadfield a pint in his new pub and talks about a great Rugby League career that ended in shame.

Theres more to South Africa than football and vuvuzelas. RLW accompanied the 2010 BARLA Young Lions on their recent tour we report back on the current state of the game there. Meanwhile, Dave Southern once headed an organisation that had tens of thousands playing Rugby League in South Africa. His vision wasn't shared by the South African Rugby League and he tells RLW why he fears that might still be the case. Also, BBC Rugby League commentator Dave Woods, in South Africa on World Cup duty, reports back on a few lessons Rugby League might be able to learn from this televised global jamboree.

RLW talks to Batley playmaker Paul Handforth about the Bulldogs charge to the Northern Rail Cup final.

Recent talk of a Super League franchise in Paris may be pie-in-the-sky, but League still has a battling presence in the the capital. RLW has the details.

Stats are important in Rugby League but theyre not the be all and end all when it comes to analysing a teams performance and Jon Wells has the numbers to prove it.

With Blackpool Panthers flirting with financial meltdown and others in Championship One releasing high profile players midway through their contracts, one club in the higher reaches of the competition has bucked the trend of paying guaranteed contract money. RLW talks to Rochdale Hornets coach John Stankevitch about building success on teamwork and opportunity rather than financial incentives.

RLW takes a look at the progress of Rugby League in Malta and how the Mediterranean island could be an ideal end of season destination for British amateur clubs. We also spend a sunny afternoon in Wrexham with Maltese Rugby League international Jarrod Sammut.

Time to sort your Loiners from your Rhinos, your Colliers from your Rovers and your Wolves from your Wire in our affectionate tribute to the oddity of the club nickname.

Its a tough job but somebody has to do it. And that someone is Cally Hocknell, marketing manager at Harlequins RL, charged with the responsibility of selling the game to the fine folk of London town and surrounding areas. RLW finds out more from the woman with arguably the toughest job in Rugby League.

Our latest Academy Hotshot is Ben Crooks from Hull FC, son of the legendary Lee.

Plus, the latest Super League, Championship and Championship One ratings, Conference news and Team of the Month and much more.

In shops from Friday 2nd July, price 3.50. Also available online now, or by post and on subscription. Visit www.totalrl.com/shop or call 01484 401895 for details.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

Lordy.

80 people have looked at this thread, and only 5 are committing to buy the mag.

C'mon you other 75, treat yerselves. wink.gif

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#3 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 2 2010, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lordy.

80 people have looked at this thread, and only 5 are committing to buy the mag.

C'mon you other 75, treat yerselves. wink.gif

John this will be the first thing I purchase in the morning, hows that?

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 2 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John this will be the first thing I purchase in the morning, hows that?

Does it have the cricket results in it?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jul 2 2010, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it have the cricket results in it?

Would it make you more likely to buy it if it did?

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 2 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly, seeing Yorks are doing so well. biggrin.gif

I'll be buying a copy in the morn if that makes you happy. tongue.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 2 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I win another cup John I'll buy 10 wink.gif

#8 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jul 2 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be buying a copy in the morn if that makes you happy. tongue.gif

It does! I can sleep easy now. biggrin.gif

I hope the wholesalers don't muck things up and delay it appearing on the shelves on time as they have been wont to do in the recent past. It really should be out in all the usual places on Friday morning. Please report back if any problems. Ta.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#9 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 2 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I win another cup John I'll buy 10 wink.gif

If you buy 10 we may be able to afford another cup!

Just buy one copy, but tell nine friends to buy it too.

In fact, everyone on here buy one copy and tell nine friends to buy it too!!

Word of mouth, that's what we need.

Lummee, three people have now voted 'nope' in the poll. Why not, you bounders??? mad.gif

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#10 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

I'd buy it if I still lived in England - looks like a good read this month smile.gif

Except {pedant subbing mode}, on-the-ground should be hyphenated (I suppose it might be actually, but it doesn't like it on screen) - otherwise it sounds like a special about the ground report unsure.gif

That was the very first thing on the cover that jumped out at me - God, how sad am I? sad.gif

Edited by DiH68, 02 July 2010 - 05:09 AM.

#11 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

9-4 to the 'Ayes' so far.

Anyone seen it in the shops yet?

If so, go and liberate a copy from the evil clutches of your local newsagent. The price of its freedom from shelf tyranny is only 3.50 and it'll be your best friend for life (well, for a month at least) if you do.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Anyone got it yet?

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 2 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone got it yet?

Aye.

I just finished last month's today.

This new one seems to have something missing, I know it's Rugby League "World" but it seems to be lacking on domestic things.

Dunno, seems to have too much international and historical articles.

And the blemish near the back remains. dry.gif (No, not Dave Hadfield!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Asda Holt Park has it. Have started to read. Looks good.

Just a thought for the youngsters, what about a centre page colour pull out photo for the bedroom wall of major RL personalities.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (adelwire @ Jul 4 2010, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a thought for the youngsters, what about a centre page colour pull out photo for the bedroom wall of major RL personalities.

Been there done that. It was pants.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

...you dont think 8 years old would be keen?

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (adelwire @ Jul 5 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...you dont think 8 years old would be keen?

Maybe, but the problem is how many 8 year olds actually read the mag? They are better served by matchday programmes for that sort of thing. Plus now the mag is properly bound, it's a lot harder to "pull out"!

When RLW used to do the pull out posters it was a jack of all trades mag, and consequently was a master of none. It instantly reduces the gravitas of the mag in the readers mind, regardless of the rest of the actual content. It would be ok if RL had a "Match" style mag, as that's where you would expect posters of football stars - after all you don't see posters of players in Four Four Two. Of course RL is nowhere near popular enough to sustain that sort of kids mag.

Since they got rid of the posters and the like, RLW is a much more focused and considered magazine - and all the better for it (IMO). I'm sure if John has a massive outpouring weeping for their return, they would be back. I wouldn't hold your breath though as I think it is the first and only time it has been brought up.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

For next month how about a free vuvuzela with each copy?

The kids would like that I reckon.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 2 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lummee, three people have now voted 'nope' in the poll. Why not, you bounders??? mad.gif

Because I live in Lincolnshire. I've never seen the mag on the shelves anywhere around here.
People called Romans they go the house

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Jul 5 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I live in Lincolnshire. I've never seen the mag on the shelves anywhere around here.

Fear not! You can order a single copy to be delivered by post anywhere in the UK, postage free, from here.

If you like what you see, you can then order a subscription which works out even cheaper, and on direct debit is only 9.75 per quarter. wink.gif

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users